Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a surplus one, from AIM Surplus in Ohio. Got an e-mail from them the other day (never bought anything from them, but I signed up for their newsletter just in case).

They were about sold out. Two of the three categories of pistols were gone, leaving only the least expensive. I don't mind. I was looking for a shooter. Got a local Gunsmith who does real good Cerakoting if I decide I just have to do that.

I always liked the feel of a Hi Power. :D

FN Belgium Hi Power 9mm Pistols

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Yeah I saw those, I wish I had a little extra money. The last batch were aluminum frame Hi Powers; they were gone in hours. I think you'll enjoy them.

I should get my FFL in the next 90 days or so and I specialize in Hi Powers. If you ever want to build THE custom pistol; look me up. When built up right, nothing compares to a Hi Power.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Back in '06 the Argentine FMs came and went, inflation priced them as high as FNs, I was told.
A New Twist On The High Power

Pity, I saw one used FM set with the long and short combo in a local gun store. It was priced way out of what I considered the market. Over $700 about two years ago on consignment. It didn't last the weekend.

Do the Turks build a clone? If they can do a Walther they should be able to do a HP!

Geoff
Who knows it's all market economics.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Back in the '70s, I lucked into a minty commercial FN--I seem to recall 1954 proof marks, and a 5-digit serial number--at a great price. Never shot it, but I played with it a lot. In the early '80s I had dire financial problems and had to let it go (I turned a nice profit). Later in the '80s I was in better shape but not quite good enough to buy a new FN, so I bought one of the Kassnar Hungarian clones ($215 out the door, IIRC). It's a good enough shooter, as these things go, but the finish and craftsmanship are nothing like the old FN. Since Ciener came out with the .22 conversion for it in 2004, it's been a dedicated .22 plinker/trainer, which is fine with me. I don't think I've had the 9mm top half back on it since then.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Do the Turks build a clone? If they can do a Walther they should be able to do a HP!

Geoff
Who knows it's all market economics.
No they don't; wish they would. The "Kareen" was "made in Israel" like the Jericho. The Jericho they bought the parts from Tanfoglio and assembled and finished in Israel. The "Kareen" was sourced from Bulgaria and assembled in Israel.

Non-licensed copies I'm aware of:
Bulgaria
Hungary
Indonesia

Licensed
Canada Inglis
Argentina

FN has been trying to dump the Hi Power for about 2 decades now. They desperately want to have it go away so they can build more profitable pistols. But there are so many of them out there that they have to keep making parts. So if they make the parts, it just makes sense to keep making the gun.

I would love to see an updated Hi Power to reflect changes made by custom gunsmiths. I'd also love to see a production version with an aluminum frame.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Back in the '70s, I lucked into a minty commercial FN--I seem to recall 1954 proof marks, and a 5-digit serial number--at a great price. Never shot it, but I played with it a lot. In the early '80s I had dire financial problems and had to let it go (I turned a nice profit). Later in the '80s I was in better shape but not quite good enough to buy a new FN, so I bought one of the Kassnar Hungarian clones ($215 out the door, IIRC). It's a good enough shooter, as these things go, but the finish and craftsmanship are nothing like the old FN. Since Ciener came out with the .22 conversion for it in 2004, it's been a dedicated .22 plinker/trainer, which is fine with me. I don't think I've had the 9mm top half back on it since then.
The Hungarian copies are not real pretty (some are, some aren't) but they are darned good pistols.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kind of figured the price wasn't bad, considering a new one runs a grand or so. Hopefully I'll get by the first of next week.

Kevin, I appreciate the offer. I just might take you up on that.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That's on my list of guns to buy.

But I just bought one of these.

I'm not sure why...

So now my gun fund needs a recharge.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
The pictures don't do them justice but my F.E.G.(with the rosewood grip panels)is a very nice example. Those particular grip panels were just on for the pictures, I usually keep black "rubberish" panels on the Hi Powers and the Makarov.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm not sure why..."

You might want to consider buying some reloading stuff... not sure that cartridge is going to live long and prosper...:roll eyes:

I've got one totally tricked out by Robar years ago, several Nazi and one Inglis. I think all except the Robar have been shot once to be sure they work. I really tried to fall in love with it but just didn't. They do feel good, but I think I've been genetically adapted to the 1911.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Welcome aboard! I got a BHP, made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal, around the mid 2000s. You will not regret the purchase. Good piece.

I agree with Mr. Gibson - Customized, a Hi-Power could offer a lot of possibilities. I wonder why no one has gone that route as many have with 1911 clones. A Hi-Power with 1911 carry style treatment could be an interesting handgun. Not to mention a compact version.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Welcome aboard! I got a BHP, made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal, around the mid 2000s. You will not regret the purchase. Good piece.

I agree with Mr. Gibson - Customized, a Hi-Power could offer a lot of possibilities. I wonder why no one has gone that route as many have with 1911 clones. A Hi-Power with 1911 carry style treatment could be an interesting handgun. Not to mention a compact version.
Many people have, most guys that work on 1911s also work on HPs. Way back when the FBI HRT had customized HPs. Also the Argentines made a compact version that was a bit sketchy though.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
AIM is reliable. I was tempted by the HPs.
Yeah Tim, I did a little due diligence on AIM before I punched in my credit card number. Glad to hear it from someone I know.

Had a bit of a panic attack during the process. Had to get my favorite LGS to fax a copy of their FFL to AIM. I went back on the web site to see if my order changed from "Pending Verification" to "shipped" and the order was GONE. No where to be found. :eek:mg:

They have a little disclaimer that says if they receive an order and don't have an FFL on file, they cancel the order.

A phone call to a polite young man at AIM, and I found out they move the order from the purchasers account to the FFL holder account for tracking purposes. :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You might want to consider buying some reloading stuff... not sure that cartridge is going to live long and prosper...
I got a hundred rounds with it - that's probably as much as I'll ever need barring a zombie deer apocalypse.

I just liked it...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts