Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to the "S&W Factory Sale" at Shooters of Jacksonville.
Shooters

I looked at the J-frames including a lady's version. After some consideration the salesperson offered 399.99 on a M638-3, yes it has the horrible hole.

I bought it. The young lady at the terminal offered me a cozy or a bottle opener, I commented that I liked it better when they gave away hats. She looked aside and said, "Oh, we have one left." As luck would have it all my scopes are Leupolds. :thumbsup:

Cleaned and cycled, I'm considering polishing the cylinder and barrel.

Geoff
Who notes the hidden hammer models were $40 - 50 cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Yeah, good buy even if it had the hole.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yep, real nice price! And I personally like the Bodyguard. I know the hole is annoying, but I have had a 442 (which is now the wife's) for several years and it has digested hundreds of .38 special, and I have NEVER had a problem. Tell you the truth, I'd have to dig up the box to get the little key thigamajig if I needed it.

You just can't beat one for pocket carry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I went up to the "S&W Factory Sale" at Shooters of Jacksonville.
Shooters

I looked at the J-frames including a lady's version. After some consideration the salesperson offered 399.99 on a M638-3, yes it has the horrible hole.

I bought it. The young lady at the terminal offered me a cozy or a bottle opener, I commented that I liked it better when they gave away hats. She looked aside and said, "Oh, we have one left." As luck would have it all my scopes are Leupolds. :thumbsup:

Cleaned and cycled, I'm considering polishing the cylinder and barrel.

Geoff
Who notes the hidden hammer models were $40 - 50 cheaper.
Well you did good, I love the LW Bodyguards!!

So it has that hole...Early on I heard of some spontaneous deployments of the action lock, but I haven't heard such rumors in years now. My S&W 431 has a lock, never had an issue ever. My 617 has the lock and between live rounds fired, and dry fire, that action has been cycled a very conservative 50k times, never a problem.

As for the MIM internals, don't let anyone tell you they're bad because they're not. Again, a good 50k snaps on the 617 and that revolver is going strong.

One really positive about the MIM internals on S&W's, the DA actions are SMOOTH!!! They're the smoothest they've been since before WW II. I personally will take a S&W with MIM internals over the older ones with forged internals. Because I know FIRST HAND they hold up just fine, and I don't have to do any work to the action; it's right, right out of the box.

You have a fine revolver there sir.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a trigger job done on the old M38 and the grooves ground off the trigger. It has a great DA pull. The DA is off the scale on my Lyman gauge.

Geoff
Who is thinking of rigging up something to string hand weights together and dangle from a bar.....

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
My 431 has a stiff trigger but it's smooth. I'm betting yours is smooth just stout. I'm betting a spring kit would do you just fine.
I put a 13lb rebound spring and a light hammer spring from Wolff in my 442. Truthfully, all my S&W revolvers got the springs replaced.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After some Gunsmithing and waiting out inclement weather I made it to the range.

With the Wolf Spring kit from Midway installed, the revolver fired two kinds of 130 gr. ball, Winchester and Remington and my current carry load, standard pressure 110 gr. Winchester Silvertips. (Soon not to be my carry load, it's $60 for 25 now days!)

Before the kit using an 8 lb 2.24 oz barbell and my Lyman trigger pull gauge the DA pull averaged 15 lbs 5.0 oz.

After the kit with lightest trigger return spring and main spring replaced, and with a coat of grease on the moving parts, the DA pull averaged 11 lbs 8.0 oz.

Before the SA pull averaged 3 lbs 3.8 oz.

After the SA pull averaged 3 lbs 4.3 oz.

Geoff
Who notes there were lessons learned about springs and tiny vital parts.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True Confessions.

After discovering my finger strength has not recovered enough to make things work like they do on youtube (TM) I ordered two "Mainspring Rod Swivel, Steel from my saviors at Numrich.

I have the revolver back together and am still cleaning the gun room and trying to find the other two.

Plastic bag experiment failed. Scotch Tape (TM) tethering the tiny vital part to a 30 pound tool box worked. I also applied a special tool, an 8 inch nail puller with a V-notch to allow me to put the paperclip back in with my limited hand strength.

After my retirement pay stabilizes I may build myself an assembly box with a Plexiglas lid and arm holes if I do any more fine work with springs.

Geoff
Who is carefull budgeting and hopes he will get his finances in order, after waiting out two bureaucracies! Not to mention the lawyers.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered two grips for the 638, a longer grip from S&W itself and an Ergo grip.

In response to an avalanche of question.

Old M38, bought in 1975, trigger job by S&W trained smith in the 80s.

SA pull average: 2 lbs 14 oz.
DA pull average: 7lbs 7.5 oz and it is extremely consistent

Geoff
Who notes he is no spring chicken and his wife annexed the M38...sigh...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
True Confessions.

After discovering my finger strength has not recovered enough to make things work like they do on youtube (TM) I ordered two "Mainspring Rod Swivel, Steel from my saviors at Numrich.

I have the revolver back together and am still cleaning the gun room and trying to find the other two.

Plastic bag experiment failed. Scotch Tape (TM) tethering the tiny vital part to a 30 pound tool box worked. I also applied a special tool, an 8 inch nail puller with a V-notch to allow me to put the paperclip back in with my limited hand strength.

After my retirement pay stabilizes I may build myself an assembly box with a Plexiglas lid and arm holes if I do any more fine work with springs.

Geoff
Who is carefull budgeting and hopes he will get his finances in order, after waiting out two bureaucracies! Not to mention the lawyers.
Try throwing a towel over the gun when removing the rebound spring. You have to do it by feel but you don't spend countless hours searching for the rebound spring.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
With the Ergo grip installed the gun has gone from 14.7 oz with the short S&W grips to 14.9 oz.
I need a range trip Monday after the Dental tech cleans my teeth to make sure the Ergo grip agrees with my hands. It feels good in dry fire, but the pointing is different.

Geoff
Who is thorough when it comes to protecting his hide.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
\

Buy a fish tank and tip it on its side? :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
A wise man on another forum once explained that he disassembled guns with multiple tiny springs in the bathtub, with the drain closed and the shower curtain pulled. Genius.

He didn't say how you explain to your wife why you're playing with a gun in the bathtub.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hence my modest suggestion: a fish tank is COTS hardware with no assembly required, and the only explaining is why you have a fishtank w/no fish.

Helpful hint, a few Hexbug Aquabots to keep in it will also help entertain the grandkids, if you have the youth-at-heart and "immaturity" (hey, in a way we're all "boys with toys," right? :) ) to pull such a quirky thing off.*
*Once of those cases where a catastrophic nervous breakdown having wiped out most of your childhood, and thus a small part of you having permanent stunted growth, really helps "sell it"... :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The fish tank idea is ingenius. I wonder how an extra-large baggie would work? I'll have to try it sometime...:idea:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have received the longer rubber grip from S&W, I'm trying to get some range time in to compare it to the ERGO grip.
Geoff
Who notes being retired does not mean he has more time available.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
XXL Storage Size Ziploc, Shep?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts