Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 4 days being interviewed and filmed. I'll share pics when get over the jet lag. We started by evening and morning interviews. I had already shown my DD 214 and many pics, 4 of my officers had been interviewed and filmed and they verified the things I had seen and done. None of them were interviewed for onger than a half day, all were West Point Grads. All were folks I had much respect for.
The second day went to Arlington where I was filmed moving from the grave of a close friend to the Kennedy grave and memorial. the 5 person film crew was assisted by the Cemetary personnel in setting up and handling the crowds. People there watching were amazing as they were told that one of the 88 American soldiers who had faced in excess of 1500 Russians for 16 hours during the closest direct American Russian confrontation in 1961 was there. The Germans did take one, two, three, from every angle they could and people applauded me each time. We are talking hundreds of people helping me out. When 5 hours of filming was done in one day the PAO asked me if I would stay and talk to tourists about the incident. I said yes and 5 bus loads of people showed up. I spoke to all, people from many different lands mixed with Americans from every where.

The next day in the National Archives building, all day, filming me watching and commenting of original film from the event. They took much film of me walking into the building. Then another 3 hour session reviewing films and commenting again.
The last day in a studio with a narrator going over each incident in very detailed and graphic explanation.
whew.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: I spent the week in D C being interviewed for a document

Man, threefeathers, what a teaser! Aren't you gonna tell us who / what / why / where / when we can see this documentary? I know my interest is stirred...'Course, everyone else may already know...I think I know you've been pretty heavily involved in some serious training, but wish you'd elaborate on all this filming.
Thanks, bro.
JJ, who don't get out much...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi JJ, it is scheduled for next October. I am one of the 88 who stood up to 1500 or so Russians at Checkpoint Charlie in October of 1961. We were told to stand and die if necessary and out Battle Group Commander Colonel Wayne M. Windor stood with us. Khruschov backed down.

Mas Ayoob who is on this site often knows the whole story and I will post more when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts

I for one have never heard this story and now cannot wait to do so!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This young stud :thumbsup: (thought he was anyway) was willing to stand and die if necessary that day. Now older thinks, What the hell was I doing?

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts

Yes, I turned five myself that month, Snake45. Very interested in this story too, and will continue to follow it.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

I was eleven. I don't remember it, never heard about it when I was in Germany with the 1st AD 76-79.

Geoff
Who notes he couldn't ID the tanks, embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

I was still an ankle-biter, but have vague memories of "something" in Berlin--or maybe it was another crisis.
A brief video on the '61 standoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUmfKX3 ... re=related
Maybe Threefeathers was caught on one of the clips?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts

threefeathers; all,

fwiw, 'ole threefeathers & i have more time standing in the chow-line than most of you lads have on earth. - fyi, Charlie Petty is another of the few "old folks" here, too.
(HI CHARLIE!. = CHUCKLE!)

to "threefeathers: "We were soldiers once & young."
yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

stand watie said:
threefeathers; all,

fwiw, 'ole threefeathers & i have more time standing in the chow-line than most of you lads have on earth. - fyi, Charlie Petty is another of the few "old folks" here, too.
(HI CHARLIE!. = CHUCKLE!)

to "threefeathers: "We were soldiers once & young."
yours, sw
You gents are proof positive to us young'uns that there's life in middle age! :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

I remember this incident well, I was stationed in Worms Germany at the time. We had to perform inspections of all of our vehicles so they could haul live ammo. Things were spooky in West Germany at the time, we didn't know what was going on , we were just placed on alert. The Germans were scared to death, some of us were too.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts

bearcat6,

WELCOME to the ranks of "the veteran's OF club". = "the few, the tired & the proud."
OR
as a dear friend/retired E-9 says, "The bald, the overfed & the nearly dead."
(CHUCKLE!

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Thank you stand waite. The DMZ in Korea wasn't nearly as much fun as Germany.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts

bearcat6,

COLDER, too! =======> BRRRRRRRRRRR.

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

I missed this earlier and definitely want the rest of the story.

But in October 1961 I was happily beating on 1911s at Lackland AFB and learning how to be an itinerant pistol shooter.

As far as all the "old" snide remarks go I dispute them completely... I'm just experienced.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts

Charlie Petty,

OK. from now on i won't call us the "veterans OF's club". but instead "the EXPERIENCED veterans OF's Club".

CHUCKLE!

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

stand watie said:
Charlie Petty,

OK. from now on i won't call us the "veterans OF's club". but instead "the EXPERIENCED veterans OF's Club".

CHUCKLE!

yours, sw
Or, just go with "Veteran's EF club". ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts

Darn it, by then I was 36 and working for Sperry Univac. Never heard of this either. I'll be looking foreward to seeing it when it comes out. Please keep us informed.

You was a good-looking young stud back then.

Bob Mac

1 - 20 of 24 Posts