Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
That would certainly keep the hoodlums away!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
True, but the chance for collateral damage is high.

Besides they're awful picky about HE... wonder how much a round costs?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
True, but the chance for collateral damage is high.

Besides they're awful picky about HE... wonder how much a round costs?
If I'm not mistaken, each HE or HEDP round counts as a Destructive Device on its own due to the explosive content. So, it would be a minimum of $200 per shot.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have heard it mentioned. This is the first picture I've ever seen. Alledgedly it was tested in SVN, during my youth.
Geoff
Who carried an M-16A1 with an M-203 also during his youth and reckless years.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I'm not mistaken, each HE or HEDP round counts as a Destructive Device on its own due to the explosive content. So, it would be a minimum of $200 per shot.
Screw HE. I'll take it loaded with #2s, or even #4s. Metalstorm, baby! :p

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've heard of them but this is the first picture of one I've ever seen. Something in the very back of my mind says that they were problem plagued but I can't remember why.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
believe it or not , it was featured on one of those reality tv shows a while back- I can't remember whether they built a duplicate b/c it was so rare or whether they rebuilt it into operating condition- anyway, if I was to mention baton rouge, you know the one- longer story short, it was too big , clumsy and complicated to be of use- parts kept breaking in tests- actual field experience showed the m79 to be superior and when they married the what is now the 203( xm148 I believe, at the time) they got the best of both worlds- once they cured the firing pin breaking problem in the m16 part) probably much in the same vein as an experienced man with single shot shotgun can get off more rounds than a pump if you have to recharge the magazine

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I remember way back when read in a training manual that one of the rounds available for the M-203 was a buckshot round. I felt a Chris Matthews thrill going up and down my leg. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...what is now the 203( xm148 I believe, at the time)....
I think the XM148 and the M203 are two completely different things, though they perform exactly the same function (i.e., completely screw up the handling and shootability of an M16).

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
they were both horses in the same race, with colt fielding the xm148- but the 148 had a far more complicated mechanism and was subject to breakage- believe it or not, drawings and prototypes exist for mating an m14 to the 203 as well- forgive me, i'm getting old or may have been told along the way the 203 was a "later generation" of the 148- google is your friend- to tell the truth , I was never assigned or had anything to do with grenade launchers. hence, the disinterest in them

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Irish Cop,

There was also a FLECHETTE round for the RVN-era grenade launcher. = It was "A KILLER", out to 300+M too.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
flechette- French for " little dart"- still used in lots of arms- similar to the "beehive" round- but your pronunciation would be correct

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
t-star,

My spelling leaves a LOT to be desired. = THANKS.

Btw, during the NVA regulars "rolling waves" attack on FSB QUEBEC, a gunner on an 8" gun MAY have "won the prize" for the most "enemies KIA by a single round", when he essentially "greased" a whole REGIMENT with a beehive round @ about 200M. = I "heard through the grapevine" that his battery CDR bought him a case of scotch for that lucky shot.
(Fyi, my old "roomie", & "well-known marksman" in his own right, SFC Fred Shue, was there the next morning & he said that the scene at the base "wasn't real fun to look at.")

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
considering an 8" gun falls into the range of what I call 'super guns' he had a lot of help- starting with the foo who eyeballed the formation- for those of us that don't read English, that's about 203mm-a far cry from the 81mms and 105s we had on call- almost like getting the Missouri to do a fire support from main battery
at 200m it's a wonder the round had time to arm , let alone detonate and there must have been 0 or a slight depression on the barrel

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
t-star,

I like to think that ALL of us GIs "had a lot of help" in every action. = I could likely make a case that NOBODY in the AMERICAL ever did anything W/O somebody's help.

Out of idle curiosity, do you know what happened at FSB Quebec? = "Odd" for Redleg folks, much of the fighting there was "hand to hand", including wounds from BLADES.

just my opinion, sw

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
The China Lake launcher was reportedly quite temperamental about feeding the very short and blunt XM576 Multi-Projectile rounds. The three XM576 variants didn't hold much in the way of payload either, only 20 to 27 #4 Buck. The rifled barrel also hurt the pattern.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Thanks Dan'l... I would have thought they would be higher.

Does your source show cost for 20, 25 and 30mm for comparison?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts