Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sure I know what love is - it's what goes on between a man and a .45 that won't jam.
Name the actor who said it, and the film in which it was said.

Hint: appeared in four films… none westerns… with some form of gun in the name, and another one with "bullets" in the title.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds Bogart-y, but I'm gonna guess Alan Ladd.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Alan Ladd; Paper Bullets. When the move was shot, he was a bit player. After the war he was a name star, it was re-released and he got top billing.

Didn't AMC just show that recently?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Okay, I didn't expect it would be that easy… even for the Snake!

And yes, Paper Bullets was one of the films I referenced in the root note, along with Great Guns, This Gun for Hire, The Great Gatsby, and Guns of the Timberland.
  • (Note that I did not include his 1956 film, Santiago which also had a release title of The Gun Runner.)
But I believe that the source of the quote is Appointment with Danger during an exchange with a nun played by Phyllis Calvert.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, Snake… yes that is a certifiable "groaner," so much so that I was even going to parenthetically add the effect to my previous post… but then I thought, "But wait, Snake'll do it for me!"

Thank you, m'boy! This time you deftly fulfilled my expectations.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
You gotta respect reliability. :wink:

·
Registered
291 Posts
How about this one?

"When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol is a dead man...let's see if thats true."

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
  • I'd hazzard a guess of the 1955 film The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp with Hugh O'Brian as Earp.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Gotta remember, Pike, I used to do this, not quite for a living, but professionally, #1, and, #2, I've majored in all things Hammett my entire adult life.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Saying that Dean is good at movie stuff is about like saying that lemon merange pie is tasty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm probably going to get myself in trouble here, but how about old gangster movies then.

"What we don't take we ain't got!"

Hint: This was one little tough guy

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Pike said:
I'm probably going to get myself in trouble here, but how about old gangster movies then.
  • "What we don't take we ain't got!"
Hint: This was one little tough guy
My first thought was Jimmy Cagney, but you didn't say "tough little guy," you wrote "little tough guy," so it's probably a character played by Leo Gorcey, like Spit in Dead End.

But then it was Gorcey's brother, David, who played in the "Little Tough Guys" series, so I have to say that I don't know the answer, and there goes whatever reputation I'd established!

Damn! I hate it when that happens.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Well, every now and then the merange is gummy, or the crust is soggy....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dean Speir said:

A Fistful of Dollars, based on a Japanese classic taken, uncredited, from a previously unfilmed Dashiell Hammett novel, Red Harvest.
IMHO, Mifune beats Eastwood and Willis any day.

A personal favorite.
Yojimbo

·
Registered
291 Posts
Really close Dean. It is James Cagney's character, Rocky Sullivan, in "Angels with Dirty Faces" The line is used by a young actor playing Sullivan as a teen as he is trying to convince his buddy to steal a case of fountain pens from a freight car.

The "Dead End Kids" are also in this movie and they worship Rocky as a "Robin Hood' type hero.

This is my all time favorite old gangster movie and I give it five stars out of a possible four!!

"Whataya hear, whataya say!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts