Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had to do it all over again.

I've been thinking. Dangerous I know. Work ran long the wife was
busy and I hit the Cracker Barrel for some eggs and meat for dinner.
The CB is a favored Apre's Bang establishment because it is close to
my range, doesn't serve alcohol making it kosher for CCW and patrons
can keep an eye on their vehicles. I couldn't help but overhear a
bright young couple with DI voices and their young son, who was
recently discharged and going to the University. They were discussing building his personal battery.

If I had mine to do all over again, now, I would have gone down fewer wrong turns. My go to guns have always been 1911s of one form or another, with a Colt Conversion Unit for .22 LR. If I was commencing to fill my security cabinet again, would I do Colt again?

How about you?

Geoff
Who has gone 9mm for wife compatibility and hot weather CCW.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Yes, absolutely. I have them in .45, .45 Suoer, 10mm, .40 S&W and 9mm. The two I shoot most are the .45 and 9mm.

BUT If I were to back on the job or live somewhere I felt the need for something more than the "J" frame that lives in my pocket it would be the S&W M&P in either 9mm or .40.

For the HR 218 classes I've used the M&P 9 and really shoot it well.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have been pondering, I had a S&W M.39-2 and a Browning P-35 with the factory target sights. While in the US Army I went to my Series 70, MK IV, which still has the original finger bushing. I sold a CLW to generate front money for a mortgage. I have an early blue Springfield as backup, which needs a sight decision now that the AR is optioned.

Starting fresh, I'd go SIG, sorry Colt but a S&W Shield has a better trigger pull than your $1K pistol 1911. SIG also has the .22 LR adapter. The 1911 C3 series is very attractive, as is the 1911 22LR.

Of course the little Browning .22 1911 Compact is charming and seductive. The SIG 238 perhaps just a little small.

Geoff
Who notes there are other options.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SIG option:
Primary: 1911 C3 1911CO-45-T-C3 with night sights added, about $1200.
Secondary Competition: 1911 Extream 1911R-45-XTM-BLKGRY loaded up including night sights About $1,220.
Pocket hot weather: 938 Nightmare 938-9-NMR-AMBI 9mm about $840
Practice and Field: P938 22LR 938-22-RG-AMBI about $660. Just discovered on the SIG site.
Guns alone about $4,000
Toss in leather etc back up magazines comes to a VERY pretty penny and not good for a budget of youth and enthusiasm.
Geoff
Who will ponder other options.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The S&W M&P option:
Primary: Shield 9mm about $449.
Secondary Competition: 9mm Flat Dark Earth Carry and Range Kit from Cabela's. Some Kydex and extra magazines about $630 because I like the looks.
Unfortunately nite sites are extra and the .22LR is not a real SWaMPy action. Sigh.
The Shield has one of the best triggers in a striker fired gun. The M&P series does not include a mid-size do it all like the Glock 19.
Shield capacity is limited.
Geoff
Who notes it's all trade offs.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glock-enspieler Option:

Primary: G19 with night sights
.22LR adaptor
Pocket hot carry G42.
Unfortunately, the GLOCK website has joined the Unusable trend to avoid sales.
Geoff
Who wonders if Gaston cares?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As Is Often the Case...

...I stand outside the main stream.

I'd have paid more attention to what I was seeing on the targets instead of what I was being told and concentrated earlier on DA revolvers.

After finding one that worked well for me, I'd have concentrated on multiple copies rather than building a diversified collection.

All that said, it recently struck me that I regret not picking up a few of the Colt Diamondback variants while they were still in production. :(

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of those Colts were getting pretty rough from the factory. The old Avon Gun & Tack sent some back to the distributor, many moons agone. I do regret passing up a Commander CLW 9mm and .38 Super when I had the chance. Bought a truck instead.
Geoff
Who thought it was a logical choice at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts