Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This discussion might spawn a whole new discussion.

If you could own any specific firearm from any epoch in history, what might it be?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Re: If you could own any specific firearm from any epoch in hist

I imagine firearms have only been around during the current epoch... but an all-around modern shotgun would probably be my choice.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

WaltGraham said:
If you could own any specific firearm from any epoch in history, what might it be?
I'm gonna key on the word specific here; if that wasn't your intention, please feel free to correct me.

How about General Patton's 3.5" Smith .357?

Second choice would be one of Jeff Cooper's 1911s--prolly a Commander.

Third choice might be the 2.5" Diamondback Steve McQueen carried in Bullitt (mainly because I don't already have a 2.5" Diamondback--I do have a 6.5" Smith 29 just like Dirty Harry's, thank you very much).

·
Registered
233 Posts

John Wayne's colt pistol or his Model 92 Winchester.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

I want Sgt.York's Enfield but, I'll settle for his 1911.

·
Registered
840 Posts

From Martin B. Retting's last West Hurley, NY, catalog, which happens to also be his first Culver City, CA, catalog (1953):
"Rare original Hall Military Kentucky Rifle...cal. .52 rifled, turned round at the muzzle, bayonet with bay. stud [sic], regular Hall iron mech. with trigger release...eautiful striped maple full stock with Roman-nose butt, underkey fastened...large Ky.-type patchbox...There is an excellent possibility that this is the original rifle made by Hall for the Military Trials. $350.00"
I had the chance to buy it, but I was making the princely sum of 75¢ per hour at the time, and my skeptical parents were not at all interested in lending me the money for such a speculative "investment."
Five years later I saw that same rifle on display in the history section of the old Los Angeles County Museum. It was labelled as Hall's patent model and military-trials rifle. The curator told me that he had provenance, and that the gun was, in his words, "priceless."
A Kentucky. Our first service breechloader. Yup: that's the one I'd like to own.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I'm going to be very specific:

First choice, Teddy Roosevelt's H&H double rifle . . . it was presented to him by a whole host of Brit luminaries, so it has some significant provenance.

Second choice, the .45 ACP Luger that was auctioned recently . . . it was supposed to be a "million dollar" gun, but it actually went for somewhere around $430k . . .

Third choice, the T26 ("M1 Tanker" . . . though it was never officially called that) on display at Springfield Armory . . . the only genuine T26 in existance.

Finally . . .

Is there a limit on size of the the firearm? If not, I'll take "Atomic Annie" the 280mm cannon that fired atomic shells. (These guns come with ammo, right?)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

HankB said:
Is there a limit on size of the the firearm? If not, I'll take "Atomic Annie" the 280mm cannon that fired atomic shells. (These guns come with ammo, right?)
If you want to go that way, I'll take an M16. The WWII M16, if you please, which was a White M3 halftrack with a quad-.50 antiaircraft battery in the back. Never fight for a parking place again! :twisted:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts

OK, if that's the way you're gong to be... I'll have a Russian T-34!

·
Registered
671 Posts

Would an A-10 count since the plane was designed around a gun; the plane is just the "carrier" much like a holster :thumbsup: I would also need an unlimited ammo supply :shocked:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

Hank: Now see what you started! :evil: (How long until someone wants an Iowa-class battleship?)

·
Registered
83 Posts

Any of the guns owned by Warren Zevon or Robert Heinlein.

·
Registered
83 Posts

one more...I once saw Harry Truman's 1911, in a box he made for it himself. That one might be the pick of the litter.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

igli said:
Any of the guns owned by Warren Zevon....
Well, that answers a question I've had about you: Yes, you do know what your avatar is. :wink:

Funny you should mention that. Just last night I thought of putting "Willie" on my wanted listed and posting it here. I know he sold it a long time ago; I wonder where it is now and if whoever owns it appreciates it? Of course, it would be identical to my own M29 except for serial number and the grain in the grips.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

One of General George Armstrong Custer's Bulldog revolvers.
Just because it would be cool to own a gun once owned by someone most people disdain.... :twisted: :mrgreen: :D

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts

I'n not interested in Hitler's Walthers or Sadam's Hi Power or Ruby's Colt Cobra, just good working examples of classic guns from the correct time periods.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

When this came up at first I was thinking of just a model but when the tone changed to a specific gun the decision got easier.

I want Winston Churchill's Thompson. Failing that his 1911 or Lanchester SMG would do. I actually saw the 1911 and held the SMG which was at The Imperial War Museum in London. Don't know where the Thompson is but there's a famous photo of him holding it... derby hat and cigar etc.

If I can't have Winnie's a 21 Thompson would ease some of the pain :wink:

·
Registered
921 Posts

Coming back down to earth . . . if I had the serial numbers, I'd be keeping my eyes open for any of the guns my late father carried in WWII. These would include an M1 Carbine (though he discarded it early on for lack of power;), an M1 Garand, a Thompson SMG, and an Ithaca-built 1911.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I've always wanted a Thompson, it's just a case of deciding whose.

Truth to tell, any WW2 specimen in good working order with accessories would probably suit.

Then again, I'm easy... :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts