Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Londonderry High School senior may wind up suing the district after the administration denied his request to use a picture with a trapshooting gun on his shoulder as his yearbook photo, said Penny Dean, the student's Concord-based lawyer.

Story: http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_ ... icle=44483

Perhaps a little firearms ed would be a good idea for the principal: Said Elefante: "I just felt that the picture with the skeet shooting rifle was something that should not be in a yearbook, and it would be something that would create controversy."

·
Super Moderator
13,175 Posts
"Skeet shooting rifle"? That's guy's in the wrong line of work. He should be gun policy advisor to the Kerry campaign.

In my senior HS yearbook (972), there were at least two pics of kids with guns. One was a classmate of mine cleaning his deer rifle. The other had three other friends of mine dressed like gangsters (trenchcoats, sunglasses, fedoras) standing in front of a car with pump shotguns and .22 rifles. I know of another friend who took a HK4 with interchangeable .22 and .380 barrels to class for the high-school equivalent of "show and tell." I don't remember what the pretext was but I do remember he showed it to me in the hall between classes (in its nifty plastic case) and it wasn't any big deal at the time.

When my kid was in fourth or fifth grade, they were supposed to always have a book with them in class to read in spare time. Once he took a Gun Digest and the teacher "suggested" that he might be able to find something more "appropriate." The next day I sent him with a copy of G. Gordon Liddy's Will and told him to tell the teacher if she needed any help with her understanding of the First Amendment, I'd be glad to drop by after class and work with her. I never heard another word about it.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Was she the shooter that spoiled Mas' clean safety record?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Perhaps she can get Mas to come in gratis to be an "expert witness" :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
The last paragraph of the above link:
Dean cited a statement on student publications in the board's policy manual: "We encourage the use of school sponsored publications to express students' points of view. They shall be free from all policy restrictions outside the normal rules for responsible journalism."
The policy sounds pretty clear cut. The school seems to be making up the rules as they go. If you are going to do that, you are better off not having a policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts