Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They call it the R.I.P. round and with good reason. G2 Research has released a new ammo that is taking the market by storm and has gun owners all over the country trying to find where to pick some up.

Story.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Looks really nasty. I wonder how well it feeds given the shape of the nose?
Guess I'll have to try a box too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Lordy... the next Black Talon...

Cost???

I have been working with something similar from Cutting Edge Bullets that is also solid copper with a very large hollow point cavity. This is bisected with two cuts that result in four "petals" which separate and disperse radially while the remaining base behaves like a wadcutter and penetrates 12-16".

Theirs are called "PHD" for "personal home defense" and are offered for 9mm, .40 and .45 for pistol cartridges plus .38, .44. 45 and .50 for revolvers.

Their video is at Cutting Edge Bullets

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Guaranteed to send hoplophobes into screaming hysterics.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'll let somebody else be the test subject... for now, I'll stick to my vintage Hydra-Shoks when I can find 'em, Gold Dots or HST when I can't.

That said, I'm not dismissing them out of hand, just sticking to Mas's advice about "carry what local LEOs use".

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I don't know about the states, or their departments, but in Canada we're required to use whatever is issued; no "special" ammo, no hand loads, no superior products of testing- and there are better loads than the 40 whatever s&w issued out there- years ago our local pd had model 10s for"rank and file: and when some of those wore out, they were replaced by model 19s- however police chief was a half-wit and when the press found out that some officers were carrying the terrifying 357 MAGNUMS , they were all recalled and replaced with things that would chamber 38 specials ONLY- 357 MAGNUM ammo was never issued- just a small lot of 12 or so model 19s- which goes to show how ignorant the "public" and press are- those guns that were replaced were smelted along with the crooks' guns- the replacements were model 10s out or rhkpd or Singapore- pieces of well used junk

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hoplophobes...had to look that one up.

I think we have a few hoplosexuals out at the range. Come to think of it, I may be...

Never mind.
HI, I'm Pete and I'm a hoplophile...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I think there's a sucker born every minute.

Stuff like this is usually marketed toward the kind of people who buy all those "trick" shotgun rounds like Dragon's Breath and bolo rounds.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Pete... keep going to those meetings, You'll be fine.

There is always going to be someone trying to sell the next magic bullet. It is inevitable because there will always be people who believe hardware can solve a software problem.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Charlie, that's the problem...it's been a while... :(

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
There was a bullet i think it was called the quick shok, it was made with three pieces of lead wire that were formed into a very conventional looking HP and then a jacket was added. When it hit, the jacket would tear open releasing the three separate pieces that all had a decent amount of weight and they would all penetrate about 10 to 12 inches or maybe more. Im not sutr if it ever got off the ground. This was back in the days of all the jello testing and new bullets every week.

Here's what i already dont like about it, non straight penetration. And what's left doesnt have enough sectional density to get through much, or stay on course (just my speculation). And I'd like to see some independent testing of barrier penetration.

Interesting idea though. For frontal shots, it puts maximum tissue destruction in the first 6 inches, which is where you want it. But that's for frontal shots. Oblique shots may pose some challenges for this bullet.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think Quik-Shock was a Triton product, back when our illustrious and dearly missed founder Generalissimo Fernando was running the company.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Quik-Shock was a Triton product, back when our illustrious and dearly missed founder Generalissimo Fernando was running the company.
I miss Tina more... :D

I still have a box of those somewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Quick Shok was designed by Tom Burczynski who also gave us Hydra-shok and at one of the Gunstock gatherings we shot a bunch of jello with it. I don't think QS was ever really perfected and my results were mixed. CCI is still making a .22LR version.

I think the hardness of the lead was an issue that wasn't resolved before Triton closed.

The thing about the Cutting Edge bullets I've tested is the very consistent size of the various pieces and the fact that the base penetrates in a straight line for 12" or more.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I'll stick to these. Winchester Premium SXTs in the 230 grain variety. That expanded round measures .764( 21 ft., velocity-904fps, penetrated four layers of Denim, five water-filled Milkjugs and stopped in the sixth).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Charlie and Walt. I'm trying to get some of the through a contact for T&E. I'll let you know if that happens.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Compromise is needed, let's see a double Galco rig with Guncrafter Industries 50GI Model No.1 under my left shoulder, loaded with .50 300 grain Jacketed Flat Point and under the right a 5" Nickleplated Model 27 loaded with 110 grain hollow points.

That should deal with anything likely in Florida...of course capacity is limited....hummm.

Geoff
Who would need a Ha'awi'ian flowerdy shirt from Omar the Tentmaker in a vivid jungle pattern with parrots...and flames.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Tom if you do I'll bring some of the Cutting Edge stuff for comparison.

Also just learned that Nosler is selling defense ammo with some of their bullets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts