Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I never went anywhere, really. I know that I am not the most prolific poster on this board, but I haven't posted anything since Sep 2nd. And here's why. On that morning, as I was driving into work, I lost control of my county Crown Vic, hit the only concrete culvert in about a 2 mile radius, totaled the car and just about totaled me.

This happened just about 2 miles or so from my residence. Neighbors came out and gave me aid and comfort until the EMT/VFD people could get there (which didn't take long). I have always been a big fan of these folks...they provide a service which otherwise simply wouldn't exist in most of the county I live in, and they do it on their dime and their own time.

Anyhow, got to see (sorta) what it's like to get cut loose from a "1 car MVA with entrapment" and got a chopper ride to Huntsville Hospital. Cudos to the Medflight folks, too. They really know what they're doing.

3 surgeries totaling about 16 hours. Right leg shattered from the knee down. The main bone of the right ankle was missing, so the ortho surgeon whittled me a new one from a hip ball joint in the bone bank and replaced it. Too many screw, pins and other metal accouterments to count.

Left hip and pelvis shattered. Again, the x-rays look like they wiped out an Ace Hardware store to put this back together. Also suffered from 10 broken ribs and various other contusions and abrasions.

Released from Hospital on Oct 10th. No weight bearing on either leg, so bed and wheelchair bound till further. Hopefully walking, to some degree, inside of the next 3 months.

My wife, whom I really do not deserve, has been with me since the day this happened. And, since I kinda lost my taste for cigarettes after 38 days in the hospital, she ordered me a USFA SAA, a gun I have been hinting at for about a year now. I just can't smoke. Ever. Anything. Or my next doctor will be a proctologist.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I'm not sure if you are lucky... or not.
Welcome back! I'm sorry for your mishap. Good luck on your rehab.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Welcome back.
I'm shocked and sorrowed to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All I can say is Sheeus!!!!Your luck of the draw for lack of other words have a speedy recovery if that is possible.Shatter leg and 10 BROKEN ribs Sheeus!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have had one broken rib a couple of times and I thought that was hell. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have ten. I wish you a speedy recovery partner.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
IrishCop, I'm horrified to hear of your accident, and I pray that The Lord will heal you fully, if that be His will. You have my prayers and wishes for as complete a recovery as He will allow. May He give you the strength to cope with whatever limitations and pains that may be left for the long term. Your injuries are remarkably similar to the ones my 82 year old mother suffered on July 5th. She and her husband were driving to a concert near where they live in North Carolina, and a drunk driver veered across the divide and hit them head on. She had to be removed with the Jaws Of Life, and airlifted. At this time, she is home recovering, slowly, but progressing after some terrible setbacks early on. May The Lord give you and your loved ones strength, resilience and perseverance.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Welcome back, and I hope things start turning up for you from here.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments. I consider myself VERY lucky. There were no other cars on the road just then. Too early for kids waiting for school buses or playing outside. If I had injured or killed another, I don't think I could live with that.

I could have easily have died that morning, or maybe worse been dead from the neck down. As it is, at worse I'll only have one leg at about 60% instead of two. Not ideal, but I can live with that.

Getting the USFA SAA, well that really wasn't because of the wreck or me putting down the cancer sticks...the wife was going to get it for me for my annual Christmas/birthday/anniversary gift, and with a 90 day delivery date, that fits right in.

Bloof, bless you,man. Rehab from bone injuries is long and painful. I know, and I am just starting. Our prayers to you and yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts