Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Yes, I've seen photos of people detailed as school guards armed with the M-1 Carbine.
They are almost perfect PDWs, lacking really, only the full auto mode. To be sure the carbine doesn't really need the FA mode, you can rapid fire it as a semiauto very fast.
If the weapon is in good condition it will be every bit as effective as it was in WW2.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
TommyGunn,

Btw, in the early days of the war in RVN, MOST advisors PREFERRED the carbine to other available "long-guns".

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The carbine fills a niche perfectly. What more can you ask?

Geoff
Who notes the layout was popular with Ruger 10/22 buyers for many years, and the Mini-14 is still selling, but it's awful heavy for the round.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Full-auto seems to be becoming over rated these days.
While there are times it may be useful, it seems most "high speed-low drag" units don't use it at all.

For units like the Rangers, who've been doing really heavy duty door kicking ops since 9-11, everything is fast semi-auto one to two round taps.
Full-auto seems to be used mostly by the untrained AK shooters who use full-auto for everything.

The Carbine certainly can still deliver the goods today, just like it did in 1944.
For a usually female tour guide who needs to be armed, the light, short, handy and low recoil Carbine sounds like an excellent choice.
Whether it's because they have a lot of Carbines or someone was thinking, the Carbine is great.

I was thinking the other day that If I couldn't have my Colt M4 I'd be rather uncertain whether I'd rather have my AK-74 or a Carbine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Bearing in mind the only one I've live-fired was the AK (and it wrecked my shoulder for a week) and dry-handled the M16/AR platform (busted firing pin, spares were a mile away back at the shop), frankly in my case the M1 might be a better choice than EITHER. (With some torso-shape issues, particularly an odd ribcage and underdeveloped pecs, my shoulder is unable to form the "pocket" a rifle or shotgun stock is supposed to fit into, so it's conceivable that a "heavy pistol caliber" long gun might be a better fit for folks like me.)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a fella I shoot with on occasion who is about 25 years my senior(75) and a VM vet.He loves for me to bring out the carbine for as you stated Diamondback he can no longer maintain the larger caliper rifles anymore.He was a radio/communications in Nam and the M1 was his sidekick and I know he mentions the 1911/45 often and was quite proficient with it.When I go to his place his sons my age and alittle younger all shoot for hours whilst I bring about six different rifles and several hundred rounds of ammo.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
M1 Carbines are issued to Ethnically Arab Israeli Citizens. The thought process is that Arab Citizens are very likely to "lose" their weapon to a hostile Palestinian. So they issue the Carbine for two reasons. 1 - It's a bit "obsolete" and gives the enemy a slight tactical disadvantage because .30 Carbine ammo is tightly controlled in Israel. 2 - When a Palestinian attacker is found with an M1 Carbine, they know whom to track that carbine back to.

It's sad that there is a second class group of citizens in Israel, I feel for them. But the reality is, the Israeli citizens of Arab decent have had a habit of passing arms to Palestinians.

One of these days they'll give them new rifles, but I'm betting it will NOT be a TAVOR and it will NOT be in 5.56.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts