Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I checked the Sunday deals at my local Academy and they had a Citadel 9mm Compact pistol on close out sale, $375 same as the S&W Shield also on sale.

The gun is parkerized has large black Novak Style sights, right hand controls and weighted 2.1 pounds. The equivalent Shield 19 ounces.

Legacy Sports - M-1911

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD

Length and height are similar, capacity the same. I see some use for folks who find recoil difficult. I suspect the 1911 if it can be carried concealed successfully would make for faster follow-up shots, especially with light recoiling 115 gr HPs.

Geoff
Who wishes he could indulge a whim without financial considerations. :D

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
While many have managed to get 9mm 1911's to work quite well, I'm still not a big fan of the idea. The pistol was designed to function with a longer overall cartridge length and it really does work best with those longer cartridges. Good 9mm magazines have gone a long way toward solving the problem though.

I would expect the Legacy gun may need some tweaking, and the Shield should be good to go right out of the box, but that's just wild speculation on my part.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

A long time ago, when I was a deputy sheriff, our department "higher ups" decided that we all had to carry a handgun that would chamber/fire "department issue" 9mm JHP, as "new department issue" was to be S&W Model 39.
(At that time, as many of us LEO then were, I was carrying a Colt's GM in .45ACP.)

As a result of that decision, I bought a Colt's GM in 9mm and never had a single problem with it as a duty weapon. - That said, the full-size GM is "overkill" (at least in my opinion) because of size/weight in 9mm & I ended up trading the GM off for a BHP.

yours, sw

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
To paraphrase Cooper, you get a 1911 for the cartridge, you get a BHP for the gun.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson; Special Ed,

I'd suggest a nice BHP (or a quality "clone") instead, for several more rounds w/o reloading & a slimmer package, too.
(HINT: I heard that there's a BUNCH of ex-IDF BHPs coming to the USA soon & likely some from Argentina & Peru, too. = SOME of the last bunch that were "surplused off" by the IDF looked "unissued" & some looked worse than 50 miles of bad TX road.)

Special Ed: AGREED 100%
(Btw, I bought my Sig-Sauer P6 for "the gun".)

just my OPINION, sw

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have one of the last bunch of BHPs that came from the IDF. It's really in great condition, looks like it didn't see much use.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I like my S&W Shield. Nice little gun, and surprisingly easy to shoot. But I have carried my new LW Commander in .45ACP exclusively since I bought it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I shot a Shield when they first came out (9mm version) and I thought it was very nice. I think it's a great little pistol.
It really is, Kevin, and at a very reasonable price point, too. Much more controllable than one would think, even with full power defensive loads.

I read about some problems with the .40 caliber version, but have no first hand knowledge or experience with them.

The 9mm has been flawless so far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

A long time ago, when I was a deputy sheriff, our department "higher ups" decided that we all had to carry a handgun that would chamber/fire "department issue" 9mm JHP, as "new department issue" was to be S&W Model 39.
(At that time, as many of us LEO then were, I was carrying a Colt's GM in .45ACP.)

As a result of that decision, I bought a Colt's GM in 9mm and never had a single problem with it as a duty weapon. - That said, the full-size GM is "overkill" (at least in my opinion) because of size/weight in 9mm & I ended up trading the GM off for a BHP.

yours, sw
My story is similar...carried a Springer 45 and the dept decided we all needed the same pistol and cal so they went with Sig's P226 in 93' . We fussed and fought but it turned out to be a sweet 9 if you have to carry one...saved my ass one day. So I bought it when I retired...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked out the weekly flyer from Academy.
Stoeger Cougar $279! Lowest I've seen it lately, usually runs around $350. Steel frame, Baretta design with a rotating barrel. A bit big for the 9mm and on the heavy side, but some folks stop sorting at "Steel"
Geoff
Who spent his years gun money twice...sigh...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That's a really nice price on that Stoeger, Geoff.

And I sympathize with hitting a gun budget ceiling. (sigh...).

...maybe if Alabama votes in a lottery...:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Over the years I've tested a bunch of 9mm GMs, some for PPC matches with no issues although Kevin is right about newer magazines.

I have one Kimber I fitted with a Kart barrel that is wonderfully accurate but sometimes the extractor doesn't like my handloads if the cases have been loaded too much.

Right now I'm waiting for a new one from Les Baer

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a Range Officer in 9mm that's prairie dog qualified at 70 yards. It's really a pretty sweet pistol...might have to get a matching one in .45 (now that I know how to get rid of that stupid Springfield locking system so I can take 'em apart without parts launching into the next zip code.)

I get matching Range Officers; Charlie gets matching Les Baers.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm carrying several guns that work with 9mm all the time. My HKP2K 9 absolutely never has a problem and I've used it in at least 5 of Mas and Marty Hayes courses.
My Bug is a Shield with the APEX duty package, it craves HST 124 grain loads but will fire 127 +P+ fine. It bucks a bit with the later load.
A less expensive gun that is absolutely dependable that we use in our classes is the EAA Witness several thousands through it with not a hiccup.

I'm trying to transition to a M&P 9 also with the APEX package and RMR sight and I'm impressed.

However both 9mm 1911 we use for class go down once in a while, a Taurus and an STI.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I have a 9mm M&P with thousands of rounds and is used for my HR218 qualfier. It is box stock and if it has malfunctioned I've long forgotten about it.

It likes 147 gr. HS

1 - 20 of 35 Posts