Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a "senior" moment a few weeks ago. Bought a couple of ammo cans of 7.62 NATO milsurp ammo at a "real bargain" and got home and noticed the headstamp was OFV 94 7.62. Did my research and discovered it is made in India and is basically junk. Weighed some cartridges and variance is running 3-6 grs! I have a collet bullet puller and plan on saving the FMJ bullets. They apparently sealed the bullets with black tar and may have to push the bullets in with the seater die to "break loose" the bullet before I pull them. Going to fertilize the garden with the powder but I am wanting to save the brass. I read somewhere that you can deactivate the primers with WD-40 or oil? Would like anyone's thoughts or comments.

The lesson to my story...if something is too good to be true...it probably is not true.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
i can't remember if those are boxer or berdan primed- if they're boxer, you can just press them out out with your resizing die- and no THEY WON'T GO BOOM- done it many times- if thye're berdan, a good oil soak( not wd40, it evaporates) for about a week should fix that-normally, i'd say pop em,without bullets or powder, but this is indian brass, which i wouldn't let near my rifle- the stuff i've seen is notorious for head separation and cracked necks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well started the Indian "disassembly" operation today. Just did a 100 rds. and the RCBS collet puller works great! Did not have to "push" the bullets to break the seal...just had to "whack" the press handle with some heavy pressure to break it loose. The FMJ cleaned up with a little gasoline for the tar. Three of the cases would not fit into the shell holder. Fertilized the yard with the powder. The primers appear to be boxer and no apparent cracked or split brass. Am I crazy to try and size/deprime a few to see how they do?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Corrosive primers?
Thin case necks?
Brittle rims?

Maybe some measuring, and then some annealing, is called for, once you have them deprimed.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It's not goons ruin your rifle and to pop them in the gun won't hurt either. Just clean the barrel normally

I have shot about two K of this stuff. A few split necks and that's it. 99 % of it went bang in the FAL or the M1A

·
Registered
468 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
I have shot about two K of this stuff. A few split necks and that's it. 99 % of it went bang in the FAL or the M1A
Though I have not shot that much, the "few" hundred I have fired all went bang and not boom. The brass is soft and is only good for a couple of reloads before the rim is too bent to fit in the shell holder. I usually shoot that ammo in a Century FAL.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've gone through at least 1,000 rounds of OFV in the last year or so with no issues whatsoever. My friend has shot far more than that over a longer time & with similar results. I've yet to see a split neck in any of the fired brass.
At $0.07 a round it's even more painless to shoot than the SA I bought at the same time (2006) for $0.12..... :-D

The year 2000 & on stuff IS however thoroughly nasty & to be avoided like the plague. :shocked:

·
Registered
468 Posts
All of my OVF is stamped 98. I still don't trust it as much as SA, Port or RG.

The only case head seperation I have had (so far) was in a WCC-78 case that was in a batch of Izzy surplus I bought "new" and reloaded a couple of times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts