Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this hoopla concerning the new carbines has prompted me to start wondering about the carbine I already have. Any information concerning it would be greatly appreciated.

It's an Inland, with "SG" stamped on the left side of the receiver. Serial number 7643**, 6 digits.

Barrel is Inland, dated 3-44.

Trigger housing appears to be Inland, hammer is WA, push button safety, mag release has WA and a sideways M or W.

Oprod is U. Bolt is W. Flip style rear sight, marked S.

Stock has a .U., and NOP-M-62 stamped on the left side.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
The receiver was made by Saginaw Steering Gear for Inland. Both companies were owned by GM and both made their own receivers, but Inland did subcontract out a batch of receivers to SG at one point.

That barrel date seems a bit late for that S/N range. Maybe a replacement barrel?

Don't recall what company WA was, but they made late war replacement parts. So your hammer and mag catch are replacement parts.

Slide: Underwood

Bolt: Winchester

Rear sight: Inland (very nice to still have this sight on the carbine)

Stock: The .U. is probably a rebuild stamp. Is it an M1 or an M2 stock? Is there anything stamped in the sling well?

Sounds like a nice depot rebuild. The SG marked Inland receivers are prized by collectors as an interesting variation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quagmire said:
Stock: The .U. is probably a rebuild stamp. Is it an M1 or an M2 stock? Is there anything stamped in the sling well?
I didn't even think to look there. There is S-HB in the sling well.

It's a standard fixed wood stock, low wood. Noob question, but what's the difference between a M1 and M2 stock?

Any idea what the NOP-M-62 means?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
The stock is Standard Products. No idea on the other marking.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
WA is Walt Manufacturing. I believe that the other marking os is a naval ordnance marking, but I'm not positive. The difference between an M1 stock and and M2 stock is the presence of the selector switch cut on the left side of the receiver inletting right up beside the front of the receiver ring and the presence/absence of the "wall" inside the stock just ahead of the mag well. That was removed to provide clearance for the disconnector lever. Early M2 stocks were modified M1 stocks. Later M2 stocks had a beefier foreend which increased stock strength to withstand the extra beating the stock took from full auto fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts