Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Wolff spring kit from MidwayUSA, having decided to replace the rebound spring to see if I could lighten the double action trigger pull on my Model 22 (1917) S&W revolver. Single action shooting with the 22 (1917 Classic) is a joy. And, the initial DA pull isn't bad, but once we get to the latter part of the pull, things stack up a bit much - just enough to stall and require an extra (separate) oomph to complete. Though I try to keep the sights steady, I often wind up pulling the front sight straight down.
I watched an on-line video, but am not quite confident about taking the side plate off and working away at the guts of the revolver. I had planned on leaving the factory mainspring and replacing only the rebound spring. So, do I need to loosen or remove the mainspring before I can replace the rebound spring? Will a flat end screwdriver suffice as a tool for compressing the rebound spring into the slide? With the choice among 12, 13, 14 and 15lb springs, would it be wise to start with the 14 lb spring? I'm going at this as slow as molasses to avoid a Three Stooges type disaste (I hope). :?:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
while you can change the rebound spring without doing it you'll have a little more room if you remove the mainspring. There is no reason not to, but pay attention to how the hammer strut hooks onto the hammer.

There is a special tool for compressing the rebound spring but a screwdriver works just as well.

The thing about the various spring weights is trigger return and I've found that the lighter ones don't always to well so 14 is probably a good place to start. Once you get the hang of it switching the spring reallu isn't hard so you can try others.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
while you can change the rebound spring without doing it you'll have a little more room if you remove the mainspring. There is no reason not to, but pay attention to how the hammer strut hooks onto the hammer.

There is a special tool for compressing the rebound spring but a screwdriver works just as well.

The thing about the various spring weights is trigger return and I've found that the lighter ones don't always to well so 14 is probably a good place to start. Once you get the hang of it switching the spring reallu isn't hard so you can try others.
I second everything that Charlie just said. Great advice, great post. :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, it worked! Took me a while, but slow is good when you're in virgin territory - :oops: eh, whatever. Had a bit of trouble replacing side plate, so decided to test trigger pull and viola! The side plate sort of pulled right down in place - I presume do to the inner-workings moving as they were intended. The trigger pull DEFINITELY has improved with the 14 lb spring. I retightened and adjusted the mainspring. Naturally, the front sight still bobs a bit shooting DA, but not nearly like before. The trigger returns where it should. There's no gritty metallic feel to the pull nor abrupt stall and slippage. It's still decernably a two-stage pull - only much better! I believe the SA pull is even a wee bit lighter, but w/o a scale, I may be imagining it. Oiling the interior (G96) didn't hurt - and I suspect 500 rounds through it eventually will smooth it even more. Thanks for the help, guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Only thing I would suggest for in the future is to make a removal tool for the spring. I made one out of what we in the Air Force called a 'Seven-level Screwdriver' ,basically a pocket-screwdriver. Just file down both sides til it fits inside the spring a little tight.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Personally, I came to prefer the OEM J-frame rebound springs installed in the larger frame S&W. These are a bit shorter than their K/L/N-frame counter parts, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were used in the K-frame LadySmith.

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI The strain screw (for the mainspring) should be bottomed out, it isn't an adjustment screw so you should have any problems there.

Also, not mentioned, is to drag a rag over your hand when removing/replacing the rebound sping to prevent the spring from launching into never never land.

I've found that the 15lb rebound spring to be ideal. You can get a 2 1/2lb trigger pull SA and zero problems with trigger return.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The WTFDTSG Club, I used to hang over on the old jouster forum with a bunch of those guys. Still got a ballcap around here somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts