Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through a bunch of reloads a friend did the other day. He was using brass picked up at the range and ran across something different, a steel case marked EC 42. Obviously, the 42 denotes wartime production but I was unaware anybody made steel cases for 45ACP.

Anybody got any info on these???

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't have any specific info, other than I imagine it was due to brass shortage during the war.

I have a box of EC 43 ammo and have several empty cases that keep making their rounds thru my reloader.

·
Super Moderator
13,181 Posts
Not that uncommon--they still turn up from time to time. A few years ago someone gave me a whole box of the stuff just for a "collectible."

I seem to recall hearing that the steel cases are hard on extractors, but don't know if this is a shooters' "urban legend" or not.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Steel cases were used from 1942-44 on 45 ACP loaded at the Evansville Chrysler (EC) plant.

Some of it showed up just recently in unopened tins that supposedly came from Russia. It is corrosive.

Some bullet jackets were also steel with a copper wash and if the stuff got wet the bullet and case could rust together and form an immovable object that would do evil things if you tried to shoot them.

I don't think it was hard on guns, but I think it would be on dies.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Chuck gave it to me, I'll just stick it in my Cartridge Collection with the rest of the oddities.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I had obtained a baggie of those exact cases (EC 42).

The variants that I have reveal a delightful orange - mica - like color tone. Steel, Huh? Just as well - toss 'em in th' circular ? :?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Snake45 said:
Not that uncommon
You had me pause fer a sec, on that one :wink: A good one for the court ! :p

Retmsgt said:
I was unaware anybody made steel cases for .45 acp
Wolfy - Ruskie stuff is steel cased- IIRC- The supposed "crap" stuff, with which, Charlie proved otherwise, only to return 1'' Groups. :wink:

Oh, I get it - you're (or you must be) referring to domestic steel cased .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Guys,

Some time back in the 70's I acquired a small stash of milsurp 45 brass. Lots of different headstamps. Some dating back to 1918.

Probably 40-50 of them were this funny frosted silver color. I just thought it was some form of nickel plating. Shot and loaded them numerous times over the years. Probably still have 30 of them.

It was not until a couple years ago that I first learned that some 45 cases were made of steel. Checked these I had with a magnet, and shure-nuff..... it stuck.

Never had a problem with these either with loading or firing. Worked just as well as brass as far as I was concerned.

I did segregate them from my "firing brass" when I learned they were steel though...... :)

Later,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Evansville Ordnance Plant Ohio(EC) made several gazzilion of the steel cased 45ACP during WW II. Their subsidary, Sunbeam Ord Plant Indiana also produced the case in quantity. They are headstamped ECS. Most fired cases rusted so you don't see too many of them from the period of use but unfired ammo still shows up at very low prices. How many do you want? With the easy availability of brass cases it's hardly worth messing with trying to reload them.

There were also steel cased 30-06 and 30 Carbine made during WW II but not in the quantity of the 45ACP.

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steel cases were used from 1942-44 on 45 ACP loaded at the Evansville Chrysler (EC) plant.

Some of it showed up just recently in unopened tins that supposedly came from Russia. It is corrosive.

Some bullet jackets were also steel with a copper wash and if the stuff got wet the bullet and case could rust together and form an immovable object that would do evil things if you tried to shoot them.

I don't think it was hard on guns, but I think it would be on dies.
Charlie, we just ran across some old .45 ACP. It's marked, "E C S 43" Can you tell us what the, "E C S" stands for? These are steel cased. Would this be Evansville Chrysler...does the 'S' mean steel case? Thanks in advance for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts