Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Ah, serendipity. Being in the right place at the right time.
As it happened, this fine and sunny September Sunday morning found me and a few others at the local gun range, sighting in- or trying to- some rifles. Some were cooperating, some weren't. A normal outing to the range, really...

Until this fellow pulls up and starts unloading a big 'ol hunk o' pipe."

click on the link for more of the story!

http://www.docsmachine.com/nonPB/mortar.html

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I could only imagine the fun/trouble I could get into with one of these suckers!!

Mike[/url]

·
Registered
463 Posts
You guys need to get out more! Here in AZ, there are quite a few BB Mortars. At the last Dry Creek machinegun shoot there were 5 or more lined up, over by the 75mm Pack Howitzer. They launch balls with 1 pound of black powder, out to the 1800 yard limit of the impact area!
If you know someone with one, tell him/her to drill a bunch of 1" holes in the balls - they make a neat whistling sound.

Most of the ones around here are made from acetalene (sp) tanks with the bottom cut out. I don't have one - yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
JESUS Bloddy hell! that thing is awsome, no way to gauge where it would hit, but that is awsome, one thought though, what happened to the ball on inpact i wonder????

·
Registered
463 Posts
If they hit dirt, they just bury themselves about a foot deep. The guys I saw would drive out, dig them up, and reload them. Hit a rock? They might bust up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it would be fun just to watch,I wonder if it has sights. 8)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I've actually seen one of these, in California of all places. Same thing, here I am just shooting away at a common shooting spot and up rolls these yahoos with something quite similar to what you have in the photo. He only had about 5 balls, but it was OH SO Cool!!

I'm not sure how much gunpowder fueled the thing because his measuring was somewhat less than scientific, which kept me at a fair distance. But it was just too fun watching that thing go off.

After all the bowling balls were gone, he brought out the "Mini-Me" version that shot golf balls. Now that was a hoot! Golf balls are plentiful and cheap and require much less powder to fuel. 400 yards was easily achieved with the golf balls.

I have to admit, after seeing that, I took a second look at BP cannons. Found a few online that we're kida cool. One shot cement filled coffee cans (now that'll leave a mark).

Thanks for sharing Mike...Almost forgot that one :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts