Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the results of a survey conducted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation on "modern sporting rifles" commonly known as AR-15 types.

It is used with permission

60 percent of MSR owners that responded to the study own multiple MSRs, with the average owned being 2.6.
30 percent of all MSR owners purchased their first rifle in 2009 or 2010.
99 percent of all MSR owners owned some type of firearm prior to their first MSR purchase.
9 out of 10 owned a handgun prior to acquiring their first MSR, and 34 percent of those under age 35 owned a paintball gun before owning their MSR.
Nearly half (44 percent) of MSR owners are current or former military or law enforcement members.
51 percent of MSR owners have a shooting-range membership.
8 out of every 10 MSR owners purchased their MSR new.
39 percent of all MSR owners purchased their most recent MSR at an independent retail store, with the average purchase price being $1,083.
3 out of every 4 MSRs most recently purchased were chambered in .223/5.56mm.
MSR owners consider accuracy and reliability to be the 2 most important things to consider when buying a MSR.
84 percent of MSR owners have at least 1 accessory on their rifle, and they spend an average of $436 on after-market accessories and customization.
71 percent of MSR owners use a scope or red-dot as their primary optic. Older owners prefer scopes; younger owners prefer red-dot optics.
One-third of MSR owners use a 30-plus round magazine most often in their MSR.
The 3 most-owned accessories were a rifle sling (81 percent), soft carrying case (70 percent) and mounted rifle scope (68 percent).
25 percent of those who own 3 or more MSRs describe their MSRs as heavily accessorized (4-plus accessories).
Recreational target shooting (8.9 out of 10) was the No. 1-rated reason for owning a MSR in terms of importance. Home defense was next (7.7/10), followed by collecting (6.28/10) and varmint hunting (6.23/10).
95 percent of owners said they have used their MSRs in the last 12 months, and 29 percent of owners shoot their MSRs more than once per month.
25 percent of owners shot more than 1,000 rounds out of their MSR in the last 12 months.
8 out of 10 owners feel they have not been able to shoot their MSR as much as they would like in the last 12 months.
Not having enough free time and the cost of ammo are the 2 main issues preventing MSR owners from shooting as much as they would like.
The typical MSR owner is 35-plus years old, married and has some college education.

We all know that ARs are popular and I think this tells us why

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hummm. That 0.6 rifle, is that a spare upper or lower?

A sling is an accessory? It doesn't come with the rifle?

Geoff
Who got his first Stoner M-16A1 from Uncle Sam, came with a thick green nylon sling, two magazine pouches and seven magazines and a little silver metal tab to keep it from going into full auto...sigh.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Youngsters who don't know anything else but the M16 Platform and have bought into the hype of the round. Disallusionment will follow if they have to seriously use the round.
As an aside, noticing a trend over on the CMP forum, alot of kids are trading their M16 platforms in and buying Garands unless they're a competitive shooter.

·
Registered
973 Posts
At the range where I shoot, we've had a few matches call Extreme High Power. Participants shoot IDPA targets at 200 yards, slow-fire, rapid fire and a stage where they shoot at a moving target. Then, we move move to the Pistol Range and shoot a version of the MEU(SOC) carbine course, same rifle/carbine and sighting system.

We usually have many more members show up to shoot Extreme High Power than those who shoot the Service Rifle/CMP Matches. The AR-15 is the gun of choice for the Extreme event. It also gives owners a chance to shoot course of fire they almost never have a chance to shoot.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Retmsgt; all,

fwiw, i think that this just may be a "generational thing". = most guys of my age (64YY) or older wouldn't be caught dead in the woods with a "Mattel Special". =======> "You can tell it's Mattel; it's swell"
(when i was forced to turn my "personal cornbinder " M1 Garand & much later my M-14 in to the arms rooms for "re-issue", i selected/drew a 5-shot Ithaca Model 37 riotgun as a personal weapon, to accompany my 1911A1 US&S .45ACP pistol.)

to all: believe it or not i still have my MBR serial numbers memorized. - once upon a time, every GI knew his weapon serial number almost as well as their name/mos.

what fascinates me is how much $$$$$$$ that the owners spend on a MSR!

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It's not so much the price of the base weapon that amuses me as the add-ons. I'll qualify the following by noting I love Aimpoints, but: the various and sundry widgets that get hung on the weapon can be hysterically funny. If you paint it black, put "tactical" in the name and sell it at a 300% markup they'll beat a path to your door.

I've noted in the past my admiration for a pic of an AR decked out with a whole bunch of whimsical gadgets-like a hood ornament from a Rolls and what looks like a spotlight from a 1955 Chevy.

When I ran a 1911 shop, I'd frequently get folks asking if I carried __________ and be shocked that I didn't. My stock answer was that if I carried just one of all the available (useless) gadgets available I wouldn't have room in the shop to move.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Careful there buddy... I HAD a 55 Chevy.. it didn't have a spotlight but I did put some flashy hubcaps and fender skirts on it and was... at leat I thought... the cat's PJs.

I also own more than a few ARs... in various calibers... and all have some sort of optic... and stuffed away in a drawer are several lights, lasers that have once been hung on some of them. I can raionalize the whole thing by truthfully saying that all save one came about as the result of a legitimate need for assignments. Most would need nothing more than a good dusting to be back in service but the only ones that get shot regularly are in 22LR.

I have always thought it would be great fun to go to the biggest prairie dog town on the planet with one of the tack drivers made by Rock River or Les Baer but that hasn't happened yet.

But almost every time I go to the range there will be somebody on the rifle range with an M-4 type something... I think my antique may be the only one left with a 20" barrel... and many of them have extra doo-dads, but almost everyone seems to be having a good time and not at all worried if their best group is three or four inches @100 yd.

It may well be a generational thing but the survey said most owners were middle aged. It may be that the kids can't afford stuff but the point is that people are shooting. Many reload or try different kinds of ammo. Some are absolute wannabes and sometimes it's all I can do to keep a straight face but right now those are the lifeblood of our sport. Once upon a time it was bullseye shooters like me, or cowboys or varmint hunters or whatever. Doesn't matter... bless them each and every one.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Here ya go Charlie! One tricked-out, 20 pound Carbine!

There it is, loaded with all the lastest 'Hit-Probability Enhancers' for that all-important first hit! (Psst.. don't tell them it WILL require multiple-hits to affect a stop, it's still a .22 rifle.)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Don't laugh, that 'rooney gun got them a Government contract for 5 million in R&D.

Geoff
Who has seen stranger and much more expensive things.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is a Mini-14 an "MSR"?

And I am of the opinion that a lot of MSR owners spend more time trickin' their rifles out than they do shootin' them....

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The M4 is the new AK.
That ought to set some folks off... :twisted:
From The Firearm Blog; http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... he-new-ak/

Money quote: "I think by now the AR-15 and M4 Carbine are being produced by more countries than the AK-47 / AK-74 / AK-1xx."

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is a Mini-14 an "MSR"?
It would be if they put it one of those black tacticool plastic stocks...

The accessories are where the money lies and it seems to me that the stock is now the biggest- and most expensive-group. but we are forever in ndebt to Picatinny arsenal for without their rail all would be lost.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Is a Mini-14 an "MSR"?
It would be if they put it one of those black tacticool plastic stocks...
Available from Choate for only $80!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've just spent 17 days in the US reaffirming my ability to hit what I aim at using an L1A1 & iron sights, so I'll stick with my "dinosaur" & its ammunition - though I DID put some rounds downrange from a scope mounted SCAR 17.... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts