Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the new (May!) issue of GUNS, Mike Venturino say of the differences between the 1911 and 1911A1,

Most of the improvements were internal but...
Hmmmmm. Let's see: Sights, hammer, grip safety, trigger, frame (finger cuts), mainspring housing--that's six, all external, so according to Venturino, there must be at least seven internal improvements as well. For all my reading and study, I can't think of any. Can you? Metallurgy, maybe? Bore/rifling spec changes? Spring rates? What? :? :? :? :?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Isn't it stranger that he wouldn't say what they were...

I don't know of any either but have a source who will. I'll also check Clawson's book... he knows everything.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I believe that he meant to write "external," and it was either mis-editing or a slip of the writer's pen.

(Ockham's Razor)

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Steve1911a1; all.

Steve: i believe that you are 100% correct. - offhand, i cannot think of a single internal change, as all the parts from the 1911 & the A1 will interchange with little or no "hand-fitting".

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve M1911A1 said:
I believe that he meant to write "external," and it was either mis-editing or a slip of the writer's pen.

(Ockham's Razor)
Let me give you the whole sentence:

Most of the improvements were internal but two are immediately evident when looking at Models 1911 and 1911A1 side by side.
Hmmmm. Substituting the word "external" actually makes the sentence make less sense.

Maybe he meant to say "minor" or "subtle" or something of the sort, but the short trigger and longer grip safety tang are just as apparent to the eye (even if the sights and hammer aren't) as the frame cuts and MS housing. Moreover, you don't need to look at the two models "side by side" to see the changes he mentions. Each is obvious on every single stand-alone example of the gun, once you know what they are.

I think it's just a badly worded sentence, front to back and side to side. :? :(

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Obviously this is going to take more research, but one of the best book around is Colt Automatic Pistols by Donald Bady.

He catalogs 6 modifications for the 1911A1. The only one not visible is: "Land Diametre reduced, Height of Lands increased."

"The Land Diametre was reduced from .445" to .443" and the Height of the Lands was increased from .0030 to .0035".

more to come

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
When did he change the Firing-pin stop radius? Was it before the A1 or after? I'm thinking it was before.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
When did he change the Firing-pin stop radius? Was it before the A1 or after? I'm thinking it was before.
I believe what you are referencing happened around serial# 240,000. Early 1918 maybe?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
There were several small changes in the early days of the 1911 including the magazine, magazine catch and sear spring to name a few but the subject was 1911A1 and other than the visibly obvious changes the barrel stuff is all I've found so far.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Before the final shake down trial between the Savage and the Colt, there were many significant internal changes, both design wise and materials/manufacturing. That's the only thing I could think of that could possibly apply...but from 1911 to A1.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far, at this point I'm thinking MV just pulled this sentence out of his butt, with no real thought given to it. I don't think he realized that what he'd written was NOT what he meant, or what he knew. :ehsmile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts