Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Obviously neither of you have read my book... :x

I didn't know anyone was making them again and original- transferrable- examples are quite rare but that certainly looks correct. I always wanted one.

I've got a bit of experience with them... the factory designation was USA HD-MS.

There was something about them on the old board when Pat Rogers was around. Apparently some were rebuilt for the Marines... MEU-SOC and my suspicion is that they are or were- used in the sandbox.

When I get back from the Shot show I can tell some of my experiences with them.

They came to public notice when Gary Powers was shot down over Russia and his survival kit was put on public display in Moscow and photos appeared in U.S. papers.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My uncle had one. It had no markings at all. He was a recording engineer who was associated with John Fords filming of the war. He had lots of cool things many of which were stolen by the Philly police at his death. The story has it that a famous Norwegian American had it, and traded it to my uncle in return for someone getting a ride to England.

I have shot it and it's very quiet and very accurate. It was not among the stolen items from his office.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie Petty said:
Obviously neither of you have read my book... :x

I didn't know anyone was making them again and original- transferrable- examples are quite rare but that certainly looks correct. I always wanted one.

I've got a bit of experience with them... the factory designation was USA HD-MS.

There was something about them on the old board when Pat Rogers was around. Apparently some were rebuilt for the Marines... MEU-SOC and my suspicion is that they are or were- used in the sandbox.

When I get back from the Shot show I can tell some of my experiences with them.

They came to public notice when Gary Powers was shot down over Russia and his survival kit was put on public display in Moscow and photos appeared in U.S. papers.
Actually, I have; I was just trying to spark some commentary.

Have fun; wish I could go.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Interesting to read the description of the suppressor . . . quite some years ago I read that Francis Gary Powers had a silenced .22 High Standard as part of his kit; the description of the silencer said the pistol had a perforated barrel wrapped in steel wool, with a metal tube encasing the whole thing.

Sort of close in concept, but as it turns out, not entirely accurate.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
One of those would be pretty good for taking care of rabbits and squirrels in the back yard. :) Don't think I could sell the Mrs on the price, though!

Have fun at the SHOT show, Charlie.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
IrishCop said:
One of those would be pretty good for taking care of rabbits and squirrels in the back yard. :) Don't think I could sell the Mrs on the price, though!
A .22 rifle with 26 inch barrel and standard velocity ammo is darn close to "silent." 25 and 24 inch barrels aren't much louder, but a little.

A .22 rifle, 24" barrel, with CBs or CB Longs sounds about as loud as a handclap. This is not a sound that makes anyone think "gunshot," even experienced shooters. The CB will kill a squirrel deadern' Elvis out to at least 20-25 yards with a heart-lung shot (head shot not necessary).

A .22 spring air rifle 750-850 fpm, with pointed pellets (NOT wadcutters) will kill squirrels nicely out to at least 10-15 yards, maybe more. Makes a sound about like an aluminum screen door slamming shut. Again, no one will associate this sound with "gun," especially if it comes from inside the house. :wink:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Snake,

you oughta hear (or rather NOT hear) my friend Ed Harris' .32acp RIFLE with a 26" barrel. - fyi, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun is LOUD compared to that little gem.- with hollowpoints, it immediately "lets the air out of" squirrels out to about 50M, every time.

i'm looking for a quality single barrel .410 shotgun to convert to a .38SPL wadcutter (which i have several HUNDRED of) rifle (26" barrel) for shooting our BIG fox squirrels, W/O disturbing the neighbors. - i have an old 4x power Redfield to scope it with.

a friend in Austin has one (like i want to build) that you can HEAR but it sounds NOTHING like a gun of any kind. it's about as loud as a BB gun & messes up LITTLE meat.

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
A 10/22 with a subsonic round and a 20 oz. plastic pop bottle taped to the muzzle doesn't make any noise.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Retmsg,

YEP. you are 100% correct = i "played that game", long ago, in "a place & time far away" for "serious social purposes".

otoh, in CONUS that "combination" is called an UN-licensed suppressed weapon. - ALSO, a .22 subsonic is NOT really suitable for IMMEDIATELY killing our BIG (some are nearly 2 pounds, dressed) fox squirrels & i don't much enjoy (at 64YY) "chasing them down" through the woods or losing them "into a hollow tree"!

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
stand watie said:
Retmsg,

YEP. you are 100% correct = i "played that game", long ago, in "a place & time far away" for "serious social purposes".

otoh, in CONUS that "combination" is called an UN-licensed suppressed weapon. - ALSO, a .22 subsonic is NOT really suitable for IMMEDIATELY killing our BIG (some are nearly 2 pounds, dressed) fox squirrels & i don't much enjoy (at 64YY) "chasing them down" through the woods or losing them "into a hollow tree"!

yours, sw
Waitaminit! I SAW whatshisname in "Point of Impact" use a .22 rifle with a pop-bottle suppressor take down several Bad Guys with head shots from at least 100yd, standing in a skiff, no less! Whaddaya say to that, huh??? :p

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
shep854 said:
Waitaminit! I SAW whatshisname in "Point of Impact" use a .22 rifle with a pop-bottle suppressor take down several Bad Guys with head shots from at least 100yd, standing in a skiff, no less! Whaddaya say to that, huh??? :p
Markie Mark as Bob Lee Swagger. 'Nuff said. :lol:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to ALL:

fyi, Ruger (according to my buddy, Ed, who worked there) will HAPPILY sell you a .22 "Hushpuppy" that is SILENT & for little $$$$$$$. - you MUST buy a 200.00 tax stamp first, however.
(i can make a case that paying that is the BEST theft insurance that you can buy is having a "tax stamp weapon" of any flavor.)

a dear friend of mine, Don R__________, in Shreveport returned home one day several years ago to discover that his home had been "cleaned out to the bare walls" by "persons unknown". = a moving van had been backed up to the porch & the house looted!
he called the FBI & told them what happened. the FBI guy said, "Call the local police".
Don said, "the creeps got my 1928 Navy Overstamp!". -
"we'll be right there", was the quick response.
(he got everything back from his gun collection except, oddly, a .22 H&R revolver, worth about 50 bucks & the four creeps were convicted & sentenced to LONG periods of confinement at Marion, IL!)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
Markie Mark as Bob Lee Swagger. 'Nuff said. :lol:
In a movie, no less! :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Snake45 said:
A .22 spring air rifle 750-850 fpm, with pointed pellets (NOT wadcutters) will kill squirrels nicely out to at least 10-15 yards, maybe more. Makes a sound about like an aluminum screen door slamming shut. Again, no one will associate this sound with "gun," especially if it comes from inside the house. :wink:
While .22 airguns can hit harder, a "magnum" .177 airgun like an RWS M48 will cleanly take cottontails out to at least 30 yards using RWS "Superdome" pellets, which tend to shoot more accurately than any of the pointed pellets. At 12 or so yards, it will even kill an armadillo. I doubt squirrels are any tougher . . . in fact, the kill charts in my old Beeman catalog suggest it takes around 3 ft-lbs to kill a squirrel, starling, or pigeon, and 5 for a rabbit. (8 for a jackrabbit.)

Aguila Colibri out of a 10/22 is even quieter, and will take larger game if the bullets are placed just so.

Shooting from inside and keeping the muzzle well back from the window does a great deal to mitigate the noise in an urban setting.

Or so I've heard. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
HankB said:
Shooting from inside and keeping the muzzle well back from the window does a great deal to mitigate the noise in an urban setting.

Or so I've heard. :wink:
Or not heard, as the case may be. :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Hank B; all,

fwiw, obviously, you have NOT shot any of our BIG/TOUGH fox squirrels. = MOST of them can take a .22LR HP round through the center of the chest & keep right on running, at least long enough to find a "holey tree" to get into to die, where you cannot retrieve them.========> i do NOT shoot them to LOSE them!

otoh, i (in my FAR younger days) used to routinely kill cat/gray squirrels with a slingshot loaded with a single 000 buckshot, so ANY rifle/shotgun will work. = 000 Buck worked FINE but NOT on the fox squirrels.

just my opinion.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
HankB,

fwiw, when i was a young officer all my buddies on the police/sheriff's department & my TxARNG compatriots used to come to my house & shoot 148grain wadcutters out of .38spl revolvers down the long central hallway in my house (with a whole cotton bale for a backstop). - then i got hitched to a "Dallas belle" & that all came to a SCREECHING HALT, as she said that it made the house stink of gunpowder.
(SHE WAS 100% CORRECT ABOUT THE STINK. ======> LOL.)

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Speaking of squirrels, and cops, here's the funniest squirrel or cop story I've heard in a LONG time:

Picture the scene. You are a cop. You and your partner have pulled off on a quiet residential street and parked with your windows down to do some paperwork.

Suddenly a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a torn t-shirt flapping in the breeze, and wearing one leather glove, moving at probably 80mph on one wheel, and screaming bloody murder roars by and with all his strength throws a live squirrel grenade directly into your police car.

I heard screams. They weren't mine...
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/ ... treet.html

Swallow any liquids before you start reading; I will NOT be responsible for damage to your keyboard.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good lord Snake! Thank you! I really needed that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts