Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was too little to remember much about the last time but all of these quakes in CA the lava in Yosemite and the timing of Mt. St. Helen makes me wonder..........

We had to deal with the hurricanes, so maybe its the West Coasts turn?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Soda Pop said:
I was too little to remember much about the last time but ..........
Boy, you know how to make someone feel old! I remember it well and right where I was... working and watching it on tv.

It was and is quite impressive. If you ever get a chance to see the History Channel show(s) on Volcanos it is worth the effort.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Hey hey, ho ho, Mt. St. Helens is gonna blow,
Hey hey, ho ho, Mt. St. Helens is gonna blow,
. . .

HEY, whaddaya want, I'm a child of the 60's, . . .

and I'm blond.

:dunno: :duh: :dunno:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was there when it blew it's top. I saw it happen, not on TV... with my own eyes and binocs. Spectacular and horrible.
It might give us a spurt, but I don't expect anything very dramatic.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Mad Ogre said:
I was there when it blew it's top. I saw it happen, not on TV... with my own eyes and binocs. Spectacular and horrible.
It might give us a spurt, but I don't expect anything very dramatic.
Would you care to share your experience with the rest of us? Sounds extremely interesting.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
You must have been just a wee Ogre at the time :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
The documentaries that have been done were incredible, with in person interviews of people in the immediate area and their experiences. I remember when it was in the news every day, and if I'm not mistaken the resultant ash cloud wound up affecting weather all over the country. I wasn't a wee ogre at the time, just a younger dumb blonde, but not that young, turning 30.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Bloofington said:
I wasn't a wee ogre at the time, just a younger dumb blonde, but not that young, turning 30.
So lets see, if you were 30 then and that was 24 years ago then....... OH My God! :twisted:

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Okay, just did a little research. It LAST erupted in 1986. The big one was in 1980. So, I was a 24 year old dumb blond back then. Half my lifetime ago. I'm twice as old now.

:cry:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Phew, it's not as bad as I thought! :lol:

Ed

P.S. Had any Key Lime pie lately?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't Yosemite spewing lava, too?

I heard something about a year ago about the lakes there. Supposedly the 30,000 year cycle is due soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Soda Pop..you are thinking about Yellowstone. Yellowstone is a supervolcano. A supervolcano (name made up by the BBC) is characterized by a huge catastrophic caldera-forming eruption. Yellowstone has had three such eruptions in the past 2 million years. In fact the caldera is so big (approx. 60x40 MILES) you don't really notice that your in one when your there. Over the past 50 or so years the ground underneath the western part of Yellowstone has risen approximately 70 centimeters. This caused the lake to shift to the east. This type of deformation usually signifies that the magma chamber that rests underneath a caldera is filling with magma. When the magma chamber fills up and degasses, the resulting pressure will blow things sky high (think of a giant pressure cooker with no valve to let off pressure).

The last supervolcano eruption was from a volcano called Toba approximately 74,000 years ago. It was so big that the ash in the atmosphere cooled the earth temp 3-5 degrees C and significantly thinned out the proverbial herd (all living things).

I'll stop with the science lesson now since anybody who made it this far is probably bored to tears. Just do a search on supervolcanoes or Toba to learn more than you ever wanted to know.

The bottom line is this....next time a supervolcano blows... it will be our ass!

P.S. No I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....I'm just that friggin smart! :D

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
:D

Very interesting stuff Munch.

Oh, I promise not to tell anyone here about the pictures of you sneaking into the Holiday Inn Express with that Jessica Simpson look alike two nights ago.

Ed, after those two key lime pies I had a few weeks ago within five days or so of each other, that was quite enough for a while. Even a binger like me has his limits. But soon, . . .

the pumpkin pies will be coming out of the ovens, and WATCH OUT!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Saw a great documentry on History Channel about JellyStone and the Super Volcano (or maybe it was National Geo, or one of those channels where the only nakid women you see are all living in Africa with huge buffalo hip bones inserted into their lips.... and a tiny mighty danglin' from each nipple) Scary stuff, twas.

Won't be any tourist sitting around that one on lawn chairs drinklin' Coors beer and waiting for the show...... :flameon:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bloofington said:
:D

Very interesting stuff Munch.

Oh, I promise not to tell anyone here about the pictures of you sneaking into the Holiday Inn Express with that Jessica Simpson look alike two nights ago.
Bloof-

If you got pix of that go ahead and post them; becuase I will bask in the glory of scoring with a Jessica Simpson look alike anytime! :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts