Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would appreciate any comments regarding the safety advantages of the .357sig vs the .40sw in glock subcompacts. Is the .357sig "more supported, " less likely to kB, etc.

I sold my Glock 22, but kept the high cap's so I have the choice of the two calibers. I use new factory ammo, keep the weapon clean, etc.

Not too concerned re: the kB's, but might as well get the structurally stronger of the two if possible.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
If you're not concerned why did you ask the question?

Logic would suggest that there is no difference since the two cartridges are the same at the back end and the barrel ramps look the same on both.

But we aren't hearing about catastrophic failures with the .357 SIG are we? Could it be that there just aren't as many of them in use?

And the other question to ask is why are we not hearing about failures of the .40 S&W in other makers pistols at the same frequency as Glocks?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Logic would suggest that there is no difference since the two cartridges are the same at the back end and the barrel ramps look the same on both.
Aren't there at least 3 other variables to consider?
1) Is the brass the same at the back?
2) Do the cartridges operate at the same pressure?
3) Are the bullets equally prone to set-back?

I don't know the answers, but I think the questions are pertinent.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
1. yes
2. yes
3.probably yes...

The short neck of the SIG is pretty minimal as far as case neck tension is concerned but I am not hearing of problems caused by it. I have not studied that in the SIG. I did some checking when the .40 was new and found setback to be minimal with factory ammo.

While the SAAMI pressure limits are the same (35,000 psi) my suspicion is that the working levels for the SIG may be a little higher. Factories don't want to operate at any higher pressure than they need to make velocity. If they've got a powder that does that at 30k they would surely use it over one that took 35 to get to the same velocity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've seen several LE arms in .357 SIG KB due to set-back. The .357 is tough on the commercial loaders and the ones I have talked to who understadn what the issues is are gluing the slugs. This stops the set-back.

I got rid of my .357 SIG. IMHO, the .40 is much safer than the .357 SIG from a KB standpoint.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Is it safe yet?

From "Marathon Man". Great movie.

Since a G34 blew up w 9x19 PMC factory ammo at a IDPA shoot not long ago, maybe ya should ask how safe are any of 'em? ;)

I thought the SAAMI max for the 357 SIG was 40,000 psi? Did they lower it? IIRC, most 357S factory loads are actually in the 9x19 +P range, about 38K psi...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
357Sig KBs?

"I've seen several LE arms in .357 SIG KB due to set-back. "

Please let us know what the makes and models were.

Also, how does one identify a set-back KB vs other KB causes?

·
Registered
723 Posts
The feds and Delaware state police blew some 357 cases in SIG 229s.

NM state police has had some probs w their Glock 31s.

Nice idea, but I think the neck is a tad too short myself. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Newest Glock 33s not reliable?

From what I have read over at Glock Talk, Glock has decided that the Glock 33 needs a better supported barrel. This is speculated to be from reloaders blowing brass and/or barrels but nobody knows for sure. Glock as usual is quiet. What Glock has done is make the feed ramp "flat" rather than dished out. This allows the brass to be supported more however the result is that the "improvement" is causing the Glock 33s to suffer from nose-dive malfunctions, similar to the newest Glock 19s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts