Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The part which hooks on to the front loop of the stock and holds the hand guard, barre, and gas system together is somewhat loose. I can wiggle the part back and forth by quite a bit. Is this normal?

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Cranial,
I'll let some of the more expert folk answer that, but if its sloppy it will degrade your accuracy. You should have it taken care of--both of mine have had that fixed.
Watch for more expert answers than this, and good luck!
--Bushrat--

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Mine did that as well. Shim your gas cylinder. Not difficult to do, nor expensive. The Army tech manual that came with your rifle explains how to disassemble the gas system. To do it "right," you'll need to remove the flash suppressor so that the shim(s) can be slid down the barrel. Fulton sells the shim kit. Fun project, and only takes a few minutes (IF you can get the castle nut removed easily :wink: ).

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Yes, that is normal for a "rack grade" M14. It will be less accurate that way though.

Buy a gas cylinder shim kit and a copy of Scot Duff's "The M14 Owner's Guide & Match Conditioning Instructions" from Fulton Armory and follow the instructions on shimming the gas cylinder in the book.

It's easy to do & you'll be happy with the result.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Dudeski,

unless you go with an accurized system, that's completely normal. My rack grades do that as well.

I thought you were talking something big-time, until I looked at the movie. Cool movie capabilities by the way.

Nah, you're 100% rack grade.

-Bravo

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
One of the eaisest and most important mods you can do to a Standard Model M1a to improve accuracy is to shim the gas cylinder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cornbread2 said:
One of the eaisest and most important mods you can do to a Standard Model M1a to improve accuracy is to shim the gas cylinder.
Sounds like I have another project!

Thank you very much everyone!
CranialCrusader

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
CranialCrusader said:
Sounds like I have another project!
Thank you very much everyone!
Before you start shimming, you might want to know that shimming is not considered the best way of going about getting the end result most are after when doing this.

Peening the splines is the next step up. Of course, the BEST way is to have the barrel turned in the first place to the specifications for the gas cylinder.

And of course, just to be difficult, I can't agree with the statement that the gas cylinder is one of the best advances in accuracy.

What I found was that a good bedding job, even on a wood stock, will purchase you the most accuracy improvement per buck. Obviously this depends on the stick, but I recall my match Garand (well, as it was being turned INTO a match Garand.....) decreasing the group size by approximately half after nothing but bedding.

The gas cylinder I would put after a good trigger job......

FWIW

-Bravo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bravo762, where can you get a trigger job done on a M1A trigger? How much does it cost, appx?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pirate762 said:
Bravo762, where can you get a trigger job done on a M1A trigger? How much does it cost, appx?

Thanks
Geoff Corn did mine for $35. Of course, it might be more if he isn't building your rifle for you also.

I'm not much of a trigger critic, but it feels excellent to me.

CranialCrusader

·
Registered
326 Posts
What no-one seems to have mentioned is the permanent method of unitizing the gas system - the AMU screw method or, if you can find a good welder, the welded method. Duff's book covers this.

BTW - properly done, the AMU screw method should cost less than $50 to have done on your parts. The armorer doing the work only needs your gas cylinder (including spindle valve assembly) and the front band (the part that wiggles on your movie). When you get it back and re-assemble it, you won't be able to see any evidence of the modification.

Try Warbird - he did mine and it is superb.

[email protected]

flcracker

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Bravo762: In his book, Scott Duff says that aside from bedding the stock, unitizing the gas cylinder is the single most important step than can be taken to improve accuracy.

No one was saying that if you just unitize the gas cylinder you've got a match rifle. However, after shimming (unitizing) the gas cylinder your rifle will be more accurate than it was originally.

Not everyone wants a bedded match rifle. For those that want an accurate service grade rifle, a unitized gas cylinder is absolutely the way to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts