Gunhub.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the late Elvis Presley entered Madison Square Garden for a three night stand. This concert series resulted in a live album recorded on the second night and which is entitled simply June 10, 1972.

Although certain songs on the album sound rather poor because the mikes weren't in the right place or something like that, Elvis was in good form despite mounting personal problems and an obviously moody nature, magnified by increasing drug use, particularly prescription narcotics.

Hopefully someone has utilized modern technology to clean up some of the bad/ancient recording techniques on the album, because I'm going by the sound on my record, as I don't have a CD player. I do have a few CD's and play them on my computer, but don't have the money yet to upgrade my music collection.

All things considered, Elvis showed his magnificent sense of humor, great vocal talent and his band, actually the Joe Guercio orchestra, as well as Elvis' own core group of musicians, played wonderfully. If only you could hear it properly.

As for those of you who don't know what a "record" is, don't feel bad. When I was a little kid I had trouble always understanding what a "victrola" was since I was calling it a "record player." And there were 78's. Yes, I saw 78's. I also hung with Triceratops and Pterodactyl. Don't ask, don't tell. I recently found out that two of the young fellas at the office, both 22, came from this area and now live in Astoria, Queens where I lived for 19 years before moving up here. They still come up to visit family, friends and play golf. I had fun showing them my turntable, receiver and speakers one day when they drove me home and informing them that the music system was older than them!!!

About eight or so years ago, I was hanging with a bunch of guys ranging at that time from about 18-30. I was approaching 40. I mentioned something about "remembering COLOR TV" and one of the young guys said "they used to come in colors????"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, to be old and understand what it's like to be on the other side of . . .

The Generation Gap.

Remember that? Hey, any y'all little kids from the 60's all old an' stuff now, and feeling what it's like to be on the other side of . . .

THE GENERATION GAP??????

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Ah Feellll Yawhr Paaayyyne!!!!!!!

Elsewhere in the news, I've been cancelled at the firm three nights in a row and am going to see if they can make it four. Although I've got some freelance clients, that pretty much will eliminate most of next week's income.

Oh well, when I saw the mounting interest in and coverage of the 60th Anniversary of D-Day, I thought hmmmmmm, I'll be cancelled Sunday night. When President Reagan died, I knew for sure I'd be cancelled Sunday night and probably more. When I saw the coverage of the G-8 Summit, I realized that I might lose the whole week, if it wasn't lost with the D-Day observance and President Reagan's funeral already.

Triple whammy.

That's what's called national and global issues creating an economic crisis in the life of a resident citizen.

Hope it's temporary. :eek:mg:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Hey bloof ---

I was born in 1961 and have memories of alot from my childhood. We did not get a color TV until 1972 (a 25" RCA). We had to go to a friends house in 1969 to see Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon.
I have in the basement my album collection, but because our family has always been pack rats and into collecting things we have alot of neater stuff than that. Alot of them will pass on to me when something happens to my parents. Have you seen the tubular records of old?? They played on a crank powered player and resembled toilet paper rolls. My grandmother had an original Edison Victrola with the Huge tuba-esq horn coming up from the needle.
Just think -- the kids who graduated recently from high school are scratching their heads saying "Ronald Who???" "When was he president??" -- it is amazing to think of the things that they have not known in their lifetimes!!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Someone told me Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings...

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, born in 1961, huh?

A mere babe, but still a Baby Boomer by three years.

Yeah, those cylindrical records were wild!!! It's always amazing to me with how much we have today, and how we've made all those things that we have so "necessary", how we ever lived before!

And yet, I'd really rather see us all go back to a mostly agrarian society.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wings??!!!??? Who said wings??!!!????!!?!?!?!

:pigsfly:

If you guys are making wings, make sure to have me over. I'll bring my own hot sauces and some bourbon. Make it on a cool night out on the deck.

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Bloofington said:
Hey Ed, it's summer. How about some barbecued Science Diet?
Dog = Omnivore

om·niv·o·rous (¼m-n¹v"…r-…s) adj. 1. Eating both animal and vegetable foods. 2. Taking in everything available: an inquiring, omnivorous mind. [From Latin omnivorus : omni-, omni- + -vorus, -vorous.] --om·niv"o·rous·ly adv. --om·niv"o·rous·ness n.

So those wings will do fine... some Key Lime Pie would top things off nicely but as far as libations go, a nice bowl of cool fresh water would be better than bourbon.

woof!

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some nice, fresh, filtered cold water coming right up for a VERY SPECIAL Ed!!!

But as for those key lime pies, I've got dibs on the first two out of the oven, that's one serving for me, and I'll fight a thousand dragons to keep 'em. Ahrrrrr.

After that, go get 'em, and eat those pies, don't throw them at each other.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Color TV? When I was a kid, there were two types of electronic entertainment devices. Radios and record players.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No kidding. :roll: However, I might have to give the technology advance award to my grandmother. She remembered reading about the Wright brothers and then lived to see men land on the moon.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well FLM, I didn't say we HAD a color TV. As a matter of fact, after my mother split with my father for good at age six, I didn't see TV again until age 13, when my sister and I talked her into it We saw a little bit of TV when we visited people. We were pretty poor, didn't have a record player most of the time, nothing but the radio until I was 11 1/2. And it was black and white TV until I ran away at age 16 to live with relatives in another part of NYC, but back to black and white when I moved out a few months before age 19. Color TV after that in late 1980 when my father bought me a Sony Trinitron which lasted over 19 years.

And Mike, just in case you're wondering, I've never dated myself, didn't like what I saw in the mirror, no attraction. :D

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow FLM. I am often fascinated thinking about people like your grandmother, who lived to see society change in such vast ways. My father grew up in the backwoods of Puerto Rico in the Depression Days, and now he knows people who do nothing but talk about the internet and carry cell phones.

He's been back on his farm now since '96, and don't even try to talk to him about getting an aswering machine!!! You'll be given a quick invitation out the door, even if you're his son. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Bloofington said:
Well FLM, I didn't say we HAD a color TV. As a matter of fact, after my mother split with my father for good at age six,
She was only six? No wonder she split!

Bloofington said:
And Mike, just in case you're wondering, I've never dated myself, didn't like what I saw in the mirror, no attraction. :D
Boy I've got a line for that but it's PG-13 so it will have to wait. :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts