Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if you're in the city, Dutchess County is Upstate Noo Yawk, not to be confused with Way The ____ Upstate New York, which because of the way the state is shaped, kind of like a 'T' formed by two badly rolled cigars, can be WAYYYYY past my part of Dutchess County.

Nevertheless, with a 65 mile ride to New Hamburg Station, or 71 miles if you're driving from midtown, this is Upstate New York for this city kid.

And after becoming accustomed to mornings up here that are 15-25 degrees colder than the city in the early hours, but midday temperatures that are about the same, after skyrocketing to 52 degrees from the teens early this morning, I can truly say, without equivocation, ahem, harumph and ahem, . . .

BREAK OUT THE SPEEDOS, IT'S SUMMER!!!

Smoking on the deck, accompanied by a fhine, fhine ptttttemium cigahh and a bourbon or rye, with the radio in the afternoon is certain to be right behind.

Yeah right, we'll probably have a two foot snowstorm and mornings below zero again in about three weeks.

It's happened, y'know.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The official high yesterday hit 56 during the hour after I made this post. The morning low was 18 (WOW!!!) during which I was awake, but did not go out in it. Quite a difference from the city down below where I grew up, and the temperature rarely varies more than 12-15 degrees. What happened yesterday is pretty much the norm for this area. Very interesting and actually pretty refreshing too.

It's funny in the summer, and also late spring and early fall, when I hear the furnace go on in the morning, since it can be 35-50 in the morning and sky to 75-95 in the afternoon. Two different climates!!! Coats in the morning and t-shirts in the afternoon!! Being at 1,100 feet altitude also helps that effect.

Hope y'all had a great day, and have another one today.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!!! Ladies and gentlemen, it appears that we have a bonafide celebrity on the boards, and let's give a big welcome to Jim from Sportfishing News. The forums here could certainly use your knowledge, input and overall participation, and we hope you stick around.

Thanks also for the kind comments regarding my home state. To tell you the truth, being an ignorant city kid who only just moved up here four years ago, I'm almost totally in the dark about the things you mentioned, but I've heard the same from the locals here about the fishing. I still don't have a car, and renovations were put on hold three years ago when severe health and financial problems, which I'm still not over yet, brought my life to a virtual standstill, not to mention nearly ending it, which I won't get into right now.

Anyway, it is only during the past few years that I have come to realize that once you leave New York City, the state of New York is a huge world, a beautiful world, full of rich history, culture and agriculture. A couple of things in my life that have helped me to realize this have been my interest in railroading and meeting my maple syrup distributor, who runs a syrup producing farm in Way The ____ Upstate New York.

I hope someday to explore The Empire State in a much more expansive way and drink in all its beauty. Indeed, the railfanning scene in the Hudson Valley is one of the ten best spots in the world, and maybe when I'm ready for that fishing scene, I can get tips from Jim here, right here on . . .

YOUR AMERICAN BACKYARD!!! Right here at amback.com

C'mon people, everybody into the pool, we've got a great web site here and I know you're reading out there, so let's hear from you. You've got a lot to contribute, and this "once great republic" still has a lot of beauty, life and strength left in it, despite the confusion and turmoil here and in the world.

Look around at the different things you can buy on this web site, and all the advice you can get on so many different topics, and the discussions you can have with people from all over the country and around the world for that matter.

I spent three and a half years being a blithering fool on another web site, having fun, having some meaningful discussion and met a few people whose kindness, good will, advice and participation in my life, and mine in theirs, definitely served to add an important dimension to my life and build some lifelong friendships. I still haven't really "met" most of those people yet, but they're out there, and they're good people and they're in my corner, as I am in theirs, believe it.

That was pretty hard to fathom for this highly suspicious, extremely antisocial, and generally unfriendly, although decent, honest and general all around nice guy born and raised in the ghetto, where down every block and around every corner someone or something's trying to run games on your psyche, at the very least.

If you build it, they will come, ehhh? Well, it's here, at amback.com.

Take a look around. Thinking of trying bourbon, but don't know where to start? Are you like me, in need of a new lawn mower, but could use some advice before a final decision? Wanna know where the best blue fishing is? Got an old truck you want to sell, but you don't want just anyone showing up at your doorstep? Is your rifle jamming constantly, causing you to just miss catching that Chicken Of The Sea you've been promising your wife and kids for dinner?

You can talk about it right here at amback.com folks. You can ask questions about it, find out where the best place to buy it is, or what kind of cigar goes well with deer hunting. Nobody's asking you to become addicted to the internet and ignore your wife, kids and life, but just a few posts a week can go a long way toward getting a world of information, fun, friendly discussion and good will going.

I'm still getting cigars from people I never met and who refuse to accept anything in return because of my involvement in that web site. I'm still getting e-mails asking about my health, the situation in New York City and my father down on the farm in Puerto Rico, facing an increasingly difficult situation.

WELCOME to Jim from Beaumont in Misterrrr Speakerrrrr, The Great State Of Texas!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Hmmm, a bonafide celebrity, huh? Does that mean that my coffee is only $1.50?

Fernando and you guys have done a nice job with this forum and I'll be checking it out on a regular basis. And yes, I suppose I'll have to visit the AmBack store as well. I'm always in the market for a good deal. I look forward to seeing the new tactical shirts on the way.

Jim
USSFN

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim, hope to see you around, and that's Fernando and other guys, I'm just the comic relief around here, . . .

THE GREAT DUMBONI!!!

And there is no other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts