Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic drift and certain subjects in a few threads has caused a small corner of my mind to wonder if our ancestors sat around the cave and debated the merits of different types of stone and/or wood for critter bashing.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Of course, when Ooog started manufacturing and trading ready-to-use spears, within weeks Margg was making replacement shafts for it, while Grogg was doing a nice business in replacement flint heads....

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Grunt! Big rock good...but bigger rock better!
Ugggh! Small rock throws faster, works better! Easy to carry many MORE small rocks! Uggh! Uggh!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
And then some tech minded dood had to wrap a green sapling branch around a perfectly good rock, add some rawhide strips and left the whole shebang out in the sun to cure...and we were OFF!

Geoff
Who notes the final results of the experiment may just destroy the species..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
For whatever it's worth...

A few years back, while futilely searching for a piece of tax-lien property that might have been suitable for my own range, I ran across a guy who told me about how many arrowheads he had found in the area and how he had taught himself to make them. His opinion was that it was a challenging enough task that there must have been specialization of labor, with a few people making them and others trading for them. If so, no doubt there was some discussion in the kivas about the equivalent of the S&W arrowheads from one source being superior to the equivalent of Colt arrowheads from another.

I have no doubt that there were debates about the merits of flint versus obsidian for arrowheads - the pre-Columbian cultures had extensive trade networks up and down and across the Americas. There were probably also debates about the relative merits of the types of arrow shafts among the tribes, including one-piece versus two-piece.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
You're most rpobably right, I wonder how they weighed them to keep group-size down.

Oh Snake; Urgg! Walk softly...carry big Rock!

·
Registered
921 Posts
And then some ancient liberal decided they needed to create the Bureau of Spirits, Smokes, and Spears to tax and regulate the sale and manufacture of these items . . .

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Ug! Gronk have hollow pointy rock. Much bigger effect! :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Have you seen Bonkk's new line of custom mammoth-hide spear sheaths and rock pouches?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Bonkk is cavern - ninja wannabe! :neer: Gronk now have maknum hollowpointy rock!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Their women probably complained about them trading hides they tanned for another piece of stone material to work into a knife or spear head when they already had more than they could carry.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ed Fowler said:
Their women probably complained about them trading hides they tanned for another piece of stone material to work into a knife or spear head when they already had more than they could carry.
And when the family was sitting around at night, staring into the campfire, Gronk probably said to his woman (while gesturing at the kids) "Kids have it too easy today - when Gronk was their age, Gronk had no fire to stare into, Gronk had to use his imagination."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts