Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a custom LRB m14, mostly TRW/GI, assembled by Ted Brown. Unfortunately, I very rarely get out to shoot it.

Anyway, first few times out to the desert, had a bunch of issues shooting GI surplus, which I realized must be the knock-off 10 round mags. So (per a previous thread a couple months ago) I bought some Springfield mags, took them and the rifle to an indoor range and it/they fed the frangible 308 I had to use indoors with no problems.

So very happily, I take my GI surplus and rifle up to a real range this last week, only to find out that my GI surplus is steel core and therefore not allowed due to the chance of sparking a fire. So the range sold me a couple boxes of Magtech 150gr ammo to use. Threw in 10, shot them off no problem. Loaded another mag, got to about the 3rd round when I realized it didn't eject after firing. I safely removed the magazine and with a flathead screwdriver I was able to pry out the jammed/expanded case, with a lot of force. I was afraid I was going to scratch up the receiver pretty bad if the screwdriver slipped.
Then I noticed that the extractor had a thin metal strip torn off it's leading edge, hanging on by a thread. So I twisted it off (never a good site!), loaded up some older Australian surplus from a friend, and shot a single round. Yup this one did not expand/jam into the chamber, but it did not extract either so I figured that although small, the piece of metal that came off the extractor is enough to keep it from grabbing the cases. I was able to fairly easily remove that spent case with the screwdriver though.

Ok, suggestions?
Do I order a new extractor and try and install it myself?
Do I send off the entire rifle to Ted or a local smith to have them do it?
Is there some other issue such as chamber tolerances/headspacing that could have caused it?
Or is the cheap Magtech ammo to blame, with a bad expanding case? (looked like this stuff: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131031764)

Here's a couple pics:

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I'm not an ammunition guru but I don't think the Magtech ammunition is the source of trouble. Do you know the headspace dimension of the rifle? Were the shots fired in rapid succession just before you had a failure to extract? I don't know if it's the photo flash in the photo but how's the ejector? Is it chewed up? I would disassemble the bolt and measure the length of the extractor and ejector springs. They should be about 1/2 " and 2 " to 2 1/8 " in length, respectively.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Different said:
I'm not an ammunition guru but I don't think the Magtech ammunition is the source of trouble. Do you know the headspace dimension of the rifle? Were the shots fired in rapid succession just before you had a failure to extract? I don't know if it's the photo flash in the photo but how's the ejector? Is it chewed up? I would disassemble the bolt and measure the length of the extractor and ejector springs. They should be about 1/2 " and 2 " to 2 1/8 " in length, respectively.
I don't know the headspace dimensions, but the fact that it was set up by Ted Brown not too many rounds ago, and that I had just knocked out 40 at the range a couple weeks ago, I just can't think that it's the ejector or setup. I guess my reasoning is also that the case was very difficult to pry out of the chamber.
I posted my question also over at Glocktalk and someone responded that perhaps the chamber was fouled up?

Also, to confuse myself further, I read this article over at fulton: http://www.fulton-armory.com/308.htm that seemed to indicate that using commercial 308 in military rifles in lieu of 7.62 mil spec could be a problem.

Question: do you think it's wise to order a bolt tool and new extractor and do the replacement myself? Or should this only be left up to a real smith? I'm a mechanically capable person, but if there's already tolerance issues, I don't want to further the issue. Or is it no big deal and I'm just blowing this all out of proportion?

edited to add:

these articles googled quickly seem to point to using magtech, and using 308 in the m1a could definitely be the problem. And shooting steel then brass (the frangibles I had to shoot at the range a couple weeks ago might have been steel).
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=42474.0
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5682712
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/arch ... 38501.html

interesting stuff. now back to the extractor repair issue...

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I've had failure to extract with South African ammunition after several shots of rapid fire when the headspace was tighter than 1.632 ". I'd give Ted Brown a call. It never hurts to have a spare extractor, firing pin, ejector and springs. Personally, I don't think the extractor itself is the issue. Is the ejector okay? It should have two bevels on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different said:
I've had failure to extract with South African ammunition after several shots of rapid fire when the headspace was tighter than 1.632 ". I'd give Ted Brown a call. It never hurts to have a spare extractor, firing pin, ejector and springs. Personally, I don't think the extractor itself is the issue. Is the ejector okay? It should have two bevels on it.
Got it.

And I'll clean it and check the ejector also. That's a macro pic above, of an uncleaned bolt so everything looks 4x as dirty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts