Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Central Alabama was shut down by snow/ice yesterday. With temps in the teens & 20s today, it won't get much better. I understand N. Georgia got slammed as well.
MANY motorists were stuck on the roads overnight :( Thankfully, I was one who made it home last night.

It seemed to thin out between Birmingham and Huntsville/Decatur, but it may have made a long night for Terry (IrishCop). Were any others affected

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Charlotte got about an inch, but it devastated the roads. Usually, during our infrequent snows the temperature hovers around the freezing point, so that melting starts immediately on paved surfaces. Last night it was down near twenty, and what fell quickly became compressed into hard-packed snow and/or ice.

I was at work during the snowfall, and had to drive home from the airport when the roads were at their worst; the plows and salt/sand trucks hadn't been out yet. As usual, the worst threat was not from the weather, but from the bozos who can't figure out that you slow down under those conditions. One <expletive deleted> idiot couldn't wait to pass me on the interstate, then, as soon as he did, got sideways right in front of me.

I live at the top of a hill in a semi-rural area, and it took four-wheel drive to get to the house. I'm not sure how I'm going to get down the same hill this morning, but there shouldn't be much traffic...guess I'll risk it.

OK, bitching over. Gyro out.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I live at the top of a hill in a semi-rural area, and it took four-wheel drive to get to the house. I'm not sure how I'm going to get down the same hill this morning, but there shouldn't be much traffic...guess I'll risk it.
Lived at the top of a steep hill for the last 25 years, right at the base of Massanutten. There's a RR track and a low water bridge at the bottom. It's made for a bit of excitement at the beginning and ending of some commutes.

I usually just put the Jeep in 2nd and let it walk down.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I usually just put the Jeep in 2nd and let it walk down.
Roger that, that's what I intend to try. If it lets go, I figure I can always bail out and just meet it at the bottom.

My wife's school district gave the kids the day off, but told the teachers they had the option of coming in for a planning day or getting docked a day's pay. I told her to take the day off, since the deductible on her car is more than a day's pay.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Birmingham area's such a mess, everyone is being strongly advised to stay home. Ice and stuck/abandoned vehicles are keeping roads very hazardous
PLUS, there are still people stuck out there. With cars running out of gas, people are trying to walk out, leading to slips and additional injuries.
The last I've heard was 5 deaths in Alabama.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Pete, we had it pretty good here. Very cold (9 degrees this morning) but almost no precipitation. Very light dusting that ended up blown against the city curbs. Just glad the wind wasn't blowing hard...the wind chill would have been damned near deadly.

Every road in Etowah county was declared impassable last night. Mix of ice and snow I heard. And Birmingham...thought about you my man. Glad you made it home and weren't out on a run in the middle of it. :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has made it through this latest...whatchamacallit? Oh yeah...
Arctic Vortex. Think we used to just call them a cold snap.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete, we had it pretty good here. Very cold (9 degrees this morning) but almost no precipitation. Very light dusting that ended up blown against the city curbs. Just glad the wind wasn't blowing hard...the wind chill would have been damned near deadly.

Every road in Etowah county was declared impassable last night. Mix of ice and snow I heard. And Birmingham...thought about you my man. Glad you made it home and weren't out on a run in the middle of it. :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has made it through this latest...whatchamacallit? Oh yeah...
Arctic Vortex. Think we used to just call them a cold snap.
Thanks, Terry. When I saw what was developing, I cut and ran...well, crept...for home.
Glad you dodged this bullet--you didn't miss a thing!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Up here in N. 'Bama, we're luckier than a skinny turkey at Thanksgiving. Brrrrrrrr.... it IS COLD outside!
Went out to Cracker Barrel to get a nice hot breakfast and that was nice; the driving is good ... but my blood must be getting awful thin.
It being so cold I leave my kitchen faucet on low (it's the only one apparently prone to freeze) and there's NOTHING like waking up in the quiet of the night at 3:00AM and wondering, half awake, what that drizzly water sound is.
Of course, getting up and seeing the kitchen faucet on brings the memory back (insert Homer Simpson D'oh! here) and now I'm awake....fun fun fun!
One more night of this...... it's reportedly going to get up to 30° F tomorrow!:D

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
we're bound for 20 below roughly for the next week- I lost my intermediate pipe, muffler and tailpipe due to the ruts in the street being so deep- and I drive an olds 88, which is not considered a low slung car- we hit -37 at new years , - you have no concept as to COLD is

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we're bound for 20 below roughly for the next week- I lost my intermediate pipe, muffler and tailpipe due to the ruts in the street being so deep- and I drive an olds 88, which is not considered a low slung car- we hit -37 at new years , - you have no concept as to COLD is
We know! ;) We are very satisfied with our cold; it is quite cold enough, thankyouverymuch.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I told her to take the day off, since the deductible on her car is more than a day's pay.
Good call. Coming into the neighborhood this AM on a level and straight road, some bozo had run into a telephone pole. Damaged the pole, but did not bring it down. Car still there, bumper wrapped around the pole, covered with snow. Must've happened before it quit snowing. Clearly speed related.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
or black ice- and that's NOT a racist term- sometimes you just SLIDE, regardless of the speed- the only way to cure that is STUDDED TIRES- had the pole not been there, he might have ran out of velocity and eventually stopped- weather like this makes me wish I had my 63 valiant back- she had studs on all 4s

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To All,

The situation here in SA is COLD (23 degrees last night) but now there's NO ice anywhere. - When this COLD SNAP started we had ice on all the bridges & overpasses for one night.
There was 536 serious accidents reported to the SAPD & BCSO in about 8 hours.
= What a MESS.

My lady & I have been very careful to stay INSIDE except when we were sure that the roads were clear, as few people here know how to drive on icy roads.

Hoping that all of "our crowd" are OK.

yours, sw

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Many folks hereabouts forget how to drive from one winter to another and are apparently ignorant of basic physics.

A 4WD vehicle with traction control and sufficient ground clearance can handle most anything you throw at it.

But then you have to get it stopped...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
We know! ;) We are very satisfied with our cold; it is quite cold enough, thankyouverymuch.:cool:
Hell, it's the whole reason we moved south as soon as I was discharged at Minot AFB. The official motto for that place was "Only the Best Come North!"
The unofficial motto was "40 below keeps the riff-raff out."

Settled in North Alabama in October of 92. Went to work for the PD in the jail in February 93. Was working a 12 hour night shift, and the officers bringing their prisoners in kept talking about how bad it was snowing outside. I was driving a new Dodge Daytona that was pretty low slung. Got off in the morning and I think there was maybe three inches on the ground. Baby stuff compared to 12 years of winter driving in North Dakota.

People just aren't prepared for snow here...and neither are the government entities. It happens so seldom that investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment that would only be used every few years doesn't make any sense.

One more cold night and it is supposed to start warming. We'll see if winter has any more surprises for us.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
hey I know where you're talking about - Winnipeg gets as cold if not colder as minot- we used to "hop the border' for non- Chinese/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/malasian clothing all the time- one thing about American made- it fits- funny i'm a 2xl in imports and only a large American-and I've been thinking about getting a VOLVO with studs for the winter time- with my Swedish bride of course- make 1 trip do

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Just another winter day here in Ohio. Hit -10 last night. A 4 degree drop from yesterday afternoon. We've had about 9 inches total in the last week, doesn't slow the Grand Cherokee down any. It's a balmy 22 degrees right now. Going down to 10 tonight but will climb into the 30s tomorrow and stay there for a few days.

Feel for you Southern Boys, local gov't fault for not being somewhat prepared. In the summer and fall road-salt sells for less than $200.00 a ton. Calcium-Chloride a bit more. For a couple K all your towns could have been ready for this.
Six-Ps guys.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As T-Star mentions, ice is no respecter of region. What nailed us in the south was how just a little bit of snow immediately froze into icy sheets on the roads. The weather people are still trying to figure out how things changed so suddenly, because there was NO advance warning; everyone went to work, school etc without a clue what was going to happen.
The most likely result is that people will be even more snow-shy than they already are.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Retmsgt,

Fwiw, when you have ICE/SN*W (May I point out that sn*w is a 4-letter word?) about once per DECADE, as we do in south TX, 2000.oo seems foolish to most of the bureaucrats/citizens.

yours, sw

1 - 20 of 41 Posts