Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I've seen this before, and it's absolutly fantastic! I miss Johnny Carson. Late night TV without him is dismal and I stopped watching years ago.
Jack Webb was terrific in this segment.

TRIVIA PURSUIT QUESTION:
To what two movies (both made in nineteen fortyeight) was Jack Webb indebted to for inspiring his "DRAGNET" series?

A: He Walked By Night and The Naked City.
Webb had a small role as a lab tech in the 1st film, which was actually based on a true story. Each episode of Dragnet opened with the opening narration stating "this is the city." While The Naked City is primarily remembered for its famous tagline, within the opening narration, producer Mark Hellinger intones Webb's favorite opening phrase.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnny was definitely struggling to keep a straight face, while Jack was dead-panning right along.
It reminds me of the Tim Conway-Harvey Korman dentist skit, where Tim has Harvey cracking up in the chair.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Johnny was definitely struggling to keep a straight face, while Jack was dead-panning right along.
It reminds me of the Tim Conway-Harvey Korman dentist skit, where Tim has Harvey cracking up in the chair.
Johnny was definitely a class act. Perfect timing, the master of the comeback and the one liner, not to mention the double take. Above all, a gentleman (on the air, anyway). Like you said Tommy, not much for me on late night TV since he retired.

Shep, I have this clip saved on my hard drive...two of my favorite TV personalities having fun.

And Tim ALWAYS beat Harvey in the break-up wars. There has not been a prime-time comedy show anywhere near the genius of The Carol Burnett Show since IT stopped airing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnny was definitely a class act. Perfect timing, the master of the comeback and the one liner, not to mention the double take. Above all, a gentleman (on the air, anyway). Like you said Tommy, not much for me on late night TV since he retired.

Shep, I have this clip saved on my hard drive...two of my favorite TV personalities having fun.

And Tim ALWAYS beat Harvey in the break-up wars. There has not been a prime-time comedy show anywhere near the genius of The Carol Burnett Show since IT stopped airing.
It's too easy to get giggles with raunch. Good clean comedy is apparently too much work for the current crop. Sadly, Carol Burnett came along after I left home, and wasn't near a TV. Still, many happy hours were spent at home watching Red Skelton and Bob Hope Specials.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

I remember that show so well IC then as Shep said I remember the Bob Hope and Bing Christmas specials it was some great television then good and clean and alot of laughs.Now some of the T.V. series downright kinda sucked when you look back Captain America :D was one when I watch it today but then the Waltons still ranks up there with Little House on the Pararie in memories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts