Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Tuesday I was home sick watching Terminator Salvation and they got to the part where one of the characters tells the story of what happened and when. I couldn't help but notice as I sat there on Tuesday April 19th that the character said that Skynet became self aware on April 19th at 8:11 PM, and two days later (that would be today), Skynet launched the nuclear holocaust that would be known as Judgment day. So I regret to inform everyone that by the end of the day today, most of humanity will be decimated and shortly afterward we will be relentlessly chased by the first generation of Terminators, the T-600 series, which are pretty tough hombre's.

First, to those of you who live in major population centers, I'd like to say my goodbye's now, you'll be the first to receive the nukes. Those us living in rural America will become the "Resistance"

After watching the T-600's absorb a heavy dose of 5.56 and keep coming, I'm beginning to question whether my 7.62 AK will be sufficient for the job of fending off the T-600's. Following tonight's holocaust I'm sure we'll have a little time to gear up for the T-600's (after all, as far as we know, Skynet hasn't invented them yet), so I'm thinking of alternative weaponry.

Now clearly the .50 BMG rifles will be at a premium, and near perfect at standoff distances, but I've yet to find one suitable for close quarters, which is a likely scenario when the T-600's come for us in our homes, caves, bunkers, campsites, or hideouts. So this got me to thinking along the lines of steel or tungsten penetrators in large African game rifles (fighting rifles, as the Brit's would call them). These are not uncommon to those who guide for the most dangerous of game, in calibers like .470 Nitro Express, .416 Rigby, .425 Westley Richards, etc. And while a nice double would be adequate against a single Terminator, what if there's more than one? This got me thinking about some re-working of some old classics.

I'm thinking a BAR re-barreled to 9.3x62 would be a very effective weapon for T-600 CQB when cut down Clyde Barrow style. The .404 Jeffery was intended for a standard action Mauser rifle, so how can we put that big boy into something auto-loading, or even belt fed (oh, yeah baby).

Another one I was thinking of is a USAS-12 with Fosbery Paradox rifled choke tubes to shoot the big 12 bore Paradox dangerous game loads. Get SOME!!

So when the T-600's come for you, what do you think you'll arm yourself with? :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

And try to do this with a straight face…remember Judgment day is today; it said so in the movie

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Re: Judgment day is today - What to use for taking down T-60

I'm in Wilmington, DE. Right smack dab in the middle of Washington DC/Baltimore and Philadelphia and New York City. And, because of the duPont's we are also the chemical capitol of the world. We've always known that in the case of a nuclear attack we are toast!

Nice knowin' ya Kevin! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

No future but what you make...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Assuming Birmingham AL is secondary enough to avoid its very own drop of sunshine, I guess I'll have to start out with my M1 and an '03 for backup. Hopefully some 7.62 NATO will also turn up.

Sadly, since SkyNet is undoubtedly monitoring this site, something waay badder than T-600s is coming off the lines. :shocked:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

I would use something .... from an equally fictional source ...... :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

Oddly enough, I'm watching the Terminator (Chronicles) even as I key this, having just returned from Lincoln Electric's robotics school yesterday.

Regarding available countermeasures to bad cyborgs I've got 7mm Remington magnum on hand as well as a 12 gauge pump gun stoked with sabots.

I've been told that the mere sound of a pump shotgun will stop any adversary in its tracks... :)

I suspect there's also the potential hereabouts to improvise some stuff that goes boom and some other stuff that goes zap.

The last resort is emptying the Seecamp then throwing it.

Oh no, they have Summer Glau trapped between 2 big trucks...

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

It's okay Walt, Summer survives to swish that fine appendage another day.

Wow Kevin! Only one answer, go retro! My HRA Garand and the 500 rounds of TW43 AP I have should do the trick. Gonna have to, my Phased Plasma-rifle in the 40 watt range is in the shop. Besides, I live in a rural area, no glow in the dark urination for me.

I keep telling you guys the 5.56 is a wimp!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

After watching Aliens (the second one), I was so proud of myself… When Hicks pulls out the itty-bitty Ithaca 37 and does in a few aliens. I had an Ithaca 37 with extended mag tube at the time, so I was feeling awfully confident because I knew my Ithaca could take down the alien if need be; that's a comforting feeling. Especially since the M41A Pulse Rifles are fairly hard to come by.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

I thought it was cool when he went 'Old-School' on them myself Kevin!

"EAT THIS!"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

Hmmm.... As for stuff in my safe, the M1 Garand with a couple of bandoleers of black tip would be primary. As soon as I can scrounge sabots for the 12 ga 1100 and some short lengths of hardened tool steel for projectiles, I might switch.

As soon as the Resistance gunsmiths come on line, I'm thinking that scrounging up a Gatling gun with an electric motor in place of the crank and chambered in .470 would be good for point defense.

Nothing wrong with a FAL or M14/M1A loaded with the new armor piercing 7.62 ammo.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infa ... _ammo.html - about 9/10s of the way down the page.

Projectiles would need to be steel, like the old KTW bullets.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

Since KTW wouldn't sell to my agency, I have to go on descriptions from the time. The slugs were lathe (screw machine actually) turned bronze. Some other makers of exotic stuff used solid copper thus avoiding the teflon coating that some folks got all hyper about and banned. I expect some enterprising individual could sit down in a machine shop with some copper rod and make a whole bunch of suitable slugs. I have to wonder what Arcane used as powder to generate something like 2400 fps with a 60 gr slug.

Given limited resources, I's suggest leaving any Gatlings as manually operated. No electrical signature to be detected :thumbsup: Sure not going to be any camel mounts for a .470 Gatling.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

.30-06 with black tips in my Springfield to start.

Hmm... if ony I can find a Holland and Holland .500 Nitro Express double with some Barnes Super Solids..... :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

.600 Nitro Express--if it's good enough for hunting Tyrannosaurus rex...

·
Registered
840 Posts

I'm setting my Mertilizer on Deep-Fat Fry!
If it was good enough for Spaceman Spiff, it'll be good enough for me.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts

Steve M1911A1 said:
I'm setting my Mertilizer on Deep-Fat Fry!
If it was good enough for Spaceman Spiff, it'll be good enough for me.
:rotflmao:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts