Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life is good! :thumbsup:

Will report more later.

·
Registered
527 Posts
pre-ordered and am waiting with baited breath as I also wait for my dad to finish the sequel to Rainbow-Six

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nearing page 50. No whiff yet of Bob Lee, nor a hint of how or when or why he will enter the story.

But it is still a gripping, ripping good sniper hunter-killer yarn. As expected.

Hunter does not disappoint. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Lee shows up on page 59. Several old friends started appearing on page 57. NOW it will get good! :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My favorite dialogue so far:

"Maybe your outfit even has secrets from you."

"This isn't The Bourne Conspiracy, Swagger," she said.

"What's that?"

"Never mind."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(For those coming in late, I absolutely detest the Bourne movies.)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I got mine yesterday too Snake. One thing that bothers me is where he describes people shot with a Barrett .50 and they are hurled 30 feet in the air by the impact. I think he even describes one as flying like a frisbee. My copy is on an E book so it's not so easy to go back and read that stuff again. But I'm sure going to enjoy this book.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
My copy became available on my Kindle the other day but I had just started reading another book. I'll probably finish that tonight then start Hunter.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
How do you loke your Kindle Ed? I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About halfway through, now. So far, I'm liking the story even better than I, Sniper or Night of Thunder. Looks like it might be right up there with Point of Impact and Time to Hunt.

So far, no "time trips" back into ancient history. It's almost completely straight chronological narrative, all set in present day.

Once again, Hunter has created some great villians. At least two of them, probably three, maybe four or more. There are at least two characters who, at this particular point, I'm not sure if they're good or evil. One seems to be good and the other bad, but you know how Hunter likes to twist things up sometimes. All will be revealed, eventually, I'm assuming. :wink:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
bearcat6 said:
How do you loke your Kindle Ed? I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
It's not the "cheapest" way to read and you can't really pass a book on to a friend or family member once you've read it BUT... it's dammed convenient!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
SpecialEd said:
bearcat6 said:
It's not the "cheapest" way to read and you can't really pass a book on to a friend or family member once you've read it BUT... it's dammed convenient!
Of course, the plus side is that they can't borrow the book and then never return it.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Page 239, Hunter's obligatory one groaner screwup per book:

...her grandfather a one-star general who'd done fifty (two tours) over Europe in the Sixth Air Force in World War Two....
The Air Forces that fought over Europe in WWII were 8th and 9th out of England, and the 12th and 15th coming up from the Med. The 6AF, IIRC, spent the war guarding the Panama Canal and searching the Carribbean for U-boats.

Lord, I wish Hunter would let me read these things before he goes to print. I could make him perfect! So near, so far....

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is possible that Hunter has developed a minor watch fetish, much along the lines of his samauri movie and Japanese sword fetish of a few years ago. He seems to know just far more about high-end watches than might be considered "normal." :ehsmile:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think we are going to read a lot about Ray Cruz in the future, Hunter has set all up.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bearcat6 said:
I think we are going to read a lot about Ray Cruz in the future, Hunter has set all up.
I seem to recall him saying this would be a "pass the torch" novel, as BLS is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I had assumed (until now) that Swagger's daughter was going to be the natural successor.

3/4 of the way through now, and the story is still holding up just fine. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Page 301:

OMG!!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Hafta admit: I didn't see THAT coming!

:shocked:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Caught me by surprise too! :shocked: I'd say the best Hunter novel in the past few years. Now I have to find something else to read...

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SpecialEd said:
I'd say the best Hunter novel in the past few years.
Me, too. And I genuinely liked the last three. But this one... :thumbsup:
Now I have to find something else to read...
The new Shotgun News and Handloader came today, but they'll have to wait about another 50 pages... :ehsmile:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Page 348: Another OMG! moment. This one not entirely unexpected. I thought the WHAT was coming, but not the specific WHO. Hunter was laying a clear trail of misdirection on that one. I knew not to go down the wrong path, but hadn't picked the right one from several possible choices. :ehsmile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts