Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone catch the first episode of this new series on FX? Just saw it tonight.

Not bad at all. I've seen feature films that weren't as good. Parts of it put me in mind, almost--almost--of the Jesse Stone movies.

Tom Shales of the Washington Post didn't like it. Too many guns for his delicate sensibilities.

Couple good shootouts, and the hero--played by the guy who played the sheriff in Deadwood--packs a 1911. (Had to freeze-frame the scene where he's chamber-checking it one-handed to see what it was.)

The villian in the first episode seems to doing a very credible Billy Bob Thornton impression.

Rating: Snakeworthy. (At least so far. We'll have to see if it keeps up.)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I agree.

Based on a story by Elmore Leonard.

Lean dialogue. Complex characters. Swift plot.

What's not to like?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, but the hero is just a little bit too good with that 1911.

Anybody else catch the visual mistake with the dead body in the Jeep and the blood-spattered windshield? (Kind 'a distracted and ruined the storyline for me.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will keep watching. Its kinda like "earl" with guns :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Episode #2: Maintains its rating of Snakeworthy. I enjoyed it. It's not quite up to my highest rating of Very Most Way Excellent, but I think it could possibly achieve that.

This just might be the best new series since Firefly went off the air. Only time will tell.

Almost forgot to mention: Last night the hero seemed to be carrying not just one but two Glocks. What happened to his 1911? Oh well, the Glocks got stolen by a criminal anyway; no great loss. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Episode #3: Not quite as good as the first two, but still better than 90% of everything on network TV. Still Snakeworthy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've noticed that music references seem to play a small role in the storylines.

The first episode made mention of a Peter Tosh concert. Episode #2 had the relationship between the convict's wife and her cousin lover, Dupree, an obvious reference to the song "Cousin Dupree" from the ©2000 Steely Dan album Two Against Nature. Becker or Fagen, can't remember which, jokingly described the song as "a little rural narrative." And I couldn't help but think of the film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" when the convict band played in that same episode.

Haven't seen #3 yet. Got it Tivo'd.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget, everyone, it's on again tonight at 10 eastern, repeated at 11.

I went to FX's website to see if it was rerun at any other time and was surprised to discover this information is virtually impossible to obtain. It's the year 2010! Why are some websites still so damned obtuse? :evil:

·
Registered
589 Posts
This show keeps getting better by the episode. I'm looking forward to his reunion with his father next week.

It's hard to believe the dentist was Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Episode 4 was good. I'm still in.

There's just something about Elmore Leonard characters. Someday I'm gonna have to get around to reading some of his books.

Anyone keeping a running body count on Rayland? He killed two this week. :shocked:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Snake45 said:
Episode 4 was good. I'm still in.

There's just something about Elmore Leonard characters. Someday I'm gonna have to get around to reading some of his books.
Most of his books are pretty quick reads. Very concise and efficient on words but great characters.

Snake45 said:
Anyone keeping a running body count on Rayland? He killed two this week. :shocked:
Without so much as batting an eye, at that!

Mrs. SpecialEd and I just started netflixing Deadwood so of course, she is quite enamored of Mr. Olyphant.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WaltGraham said:
Tim O. was also the Hitman.
I believe he was also the villian in the last Diehard movie, and I didn't recognize him. I told my son I thought it was a good movie, except the villian bore such a strong resemblance to Ryan Seacrest that I kept expecting him to say, "I'm going to destroy the world...after this break!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I forgot all about Justified earlier in the week so I have to tape it tonight. I'v only seen the one episode so far, Long in the Tooth but it seems to be a good show and Mrs. SpecialEd is enamored of [s:135qyxcn]Seth Bullock[/s:135qyxcn] Tim Olyphant.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
SpecialEd said:
I forgot all about Justified earlier in the week so I have to tape it tonight. I'v only seen the one episode so far, Long in the Tooth but it seems to be a good show and Mrs. SpecialEd is enamored of [s:2yqp3ei9]Seth Bullock[/s:2yqp3ei9] Tim Olyphant.
Yep, my new favorite show.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There's a fair amount of subtlety in this show, which is refreshing. It's the one area of television that if done right pushes the enjoyment factor up a notch or two past what can be done in films—at least for me. It's the quality of the writing, mostly, plus the time factor.

One thing that wasn't very subtle was the uncocked 1911 being held under the table in the teaser for next week's episode. Oops. Looked like an old .45 too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The more this show goes on, the more I like it. I think Leonard also did an excellent job of picking the only area of the country where a modern western might realistically work. I think it's also worth noting that Stephen Hunter chose the same general area for Night of Thunder which ended in a western-style showdown.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Hunter book that ended with a Western-style showdown was I, Sniper.

Oh, wait, there was sorta one in Night of Thunder, too. With...oh, I won't spoil it. :wink:

Anyone notice that several of the Deadwood actors have appeared on the last few episodes? I'll bet most didn't recognize them. (I didn't until it was pointed out on another board.) :oops:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Snake45 said:
Anyone notice that several of the Deadwood actors have appeared on the last few episodes?
The psycho that Raylan talked out of the hostage situation with fried chicken and bourbon looked like Swearengen's enforcer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts