Gunhub.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible for a good enough gunsmith to install adjustable K-frame S&W revolver sights on a CZ-75B? The gun has a serrated rib that runs along the top of the slide, and I'd want the integral rib of the revolver sight to fit flush with the top of this. I'd also want the roll-pin slot for the existing front sight milled away, and replaced with a dovetail, which I would like to see fitted with a sight blank, milled to mimic a K-frame front sight (no plastic insert) that would fit flush on all the edges of the dovetail. Of course, something to fill the inevitable hole from the unused rear dovetail would also have to be milled, and I would like for it to fit flush, as well.

Is there anyone around who can still do something like this, and if so, then how much would it cost to have it done right

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
We used to do that on 1911s all the time. The best way to deal with the rear sight was to leave it in place and either mill straight throught it- which provided some protection for the S&W or simply grind it down to fit the slide radius.

The drawback is making the slot for the elevation adjustment tab and I'm not sure of the CZ geography.

Chances are the slide would have to be refinished. In today's world that might be very expensive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 30 yr. old Series 70 1911 .45 with K frame sights. It was the thing in the '70s. While they are ok, I much prefer Bomar sights. I have Bomar on my Caspian 1911 and my CZ-75. They are great on both. In the case of the CZ-75, the sights and trigger work cost nearly as much as I paid for the gun.
If you really want S&W sights on a CZ, consider the J frame sight. It doesn't have the cut for the little retaining plate and is much simpler to install. I will probably have the Cylinder and Slide shop install J frame sights on a Ruger SP101 and Bearcat.

·
Super Moderator
13,159 Posts
Anything's possible if you throw enough money at it.

I have two 1911s with S&W sights on them. This makes a beautiful installation, but was not known, even "back in the day" when it was popular, as being a particularly strong setup. I haven't heard of anyone still doing this in years and years, and there's probably a reason for that.

The sight itself now costs @ $50, and you could probably expect to pay at least $100 at today's rates to have it installed. IF you can find someone to do it. (C&S might still offer this, maybe.)

In short, even though I think the setup looks great, I can't really recommend it any more. There are better options available today.

·
Super Moderator
13,159 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
We used to do that on 1911s all the time. The best way to deal with the rear sight was to leave it in place and either mill straight throught it- which provided some protection for the S&W....
I saw one done that way once and it looked awful (IMHO, of course). On mine, it looks like the sight was welded into place--there's just the barest hint of the original dovetail outline. Very professional looking. I forget what it cost me to have done--I think it was around $50 in 1973 or 4.

Here's yet another way to do it. Charlie, ever see one like this? This one came this way on a used Commander I bought. The sight is set into the original dovetail area. Being used to the more conventional installation, I always thought this was ugly until I realized it looked something like an original Smith 39 sight setup. (I wouldn't have bought this gun except I had been looking for a used LW Commander for about two years without success, and this was the first one in my price range I ran across. Would like to find a clean original slide for it sooner or later.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
Snake I have seen it done that way and think it sucks :neer:

It does require making a new elevation screw which is not easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello, Chubby Pigeon.

The S&W revolver sights can probably be put on the CZ-75 but I'm not sure how high the top of the rear sight blade would be after this installation.

[IMG=left]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/MkIIIandCZ75rock1.jpg[/IMG]
The height of the rear sight vs front sight on the Hi Power is not so different as the height differences between the front and rear sights on the Pre-B CZ-75 pictured here. If the S&W revolver sights were not at least as high as the factory fixed rear sight on the CZ, it might be that the front sight would have to be too short to be practical.

Best.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... You guys are kind of scaring me, here. Don't want to throw $200 at something that might not work...

Don't know about the height issue being a problem, though. I got the idea from a guy that had Bomars installed on his Pre-B, and they sat really low, too.

I think I might just go for a set of Heinies. They'll have a similar profile, but be more practical. Still going to take some milling to get them to fit the way their inventor intended, I imagine.

Oh, I give up. I just don't have the money to throw at this, right now. I'll just order a set of Meprolights, and drop the gun off at my gunsmith's. No sense wasting money.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Chub, there is another option or two if you want adjustables. If you're set on the S&W Micrometers, you can buy a blank that fills in the rear dovetail. This will smooth out the lines. The weak part of S&W rears on a Semi-Auto is the rear fastening system, the front only needs to be drilled and locktighted if you don't want the outline milled flush.

Another good adjustable that not many know about are the low-mount P.S.I. rears that Ajax sells. These are pretty good sights and run about $45.00 or so.

As for the front sight, milling a slot is no real challenge for a competent Smith. Depth is about 1/2 the rear and runs right over the staking hole(On 1911s anyway). Cost to mill the dovetail should only be about $45-50 dollars

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I've decided to stay away from adjustable sights. I'd rather have a good, strong set of fixed night sights, that only have to be drifted in, with no milling.

Practicality, mostly, but also money.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
well, they don't seem to have alot of fans but, I prefer Meprolite nightsights. Got a pair on a 1911 I installed almost ten years ago, still bright green!

·
Super Moderator
13,159 Posts
Chubby Pigeon said:
I think I've decided to stay away from adjustable sights. I'd rather have a good, strong set of fixed night sights, that only have to be drifted in, with no milling.
Good call, Chubmeister. You are learning! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts