Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about the Kel Tec PMR 30, their new full size handgun? .22 Magnum, semi-auto, 30 round capacity, ships with two mags? Watched several videos on YouTube about it. Looks like a lot of fun. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but I'm getting used to that I guess. Best I can tell, MSRP around $400, although I've seen prices on other sites around $300. Here's a link to Kel Tec's Web Site:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Don't know about the Kel-tec, but I had one of the early Auto Mag II /22 magnums.

It was pretty spectacular with great muzzle flash and lots of noise but not much more. My guess is that the short barrel just can't take advantage of the powder normally used with rifle barrels.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Skeptic. Not too promising at all, is it? :shocked:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Kel-tec is known for early teething troubles.

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2011 ... l-tec.html

Kel-tec also enjoys a good reputation for making things right with the customer. It keeps Kel-tec out of the questionable source zone occupied by companies that change names and locations and the terminally crude.

I admit when I was ready to buy a Kel-tec I bought a Ruger LCP instead, even if it was $40 more on sale.

Ktog is unique in the industry and the company follows the forums. I suspect Kel-tec has better communications with customers than most.

Geoff
Who notes some pretty savvy hombres carry Kel-tecs here in the land of spandex and shorts.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I confess I have never been much of a Kel Tec follower. I won one of their first sub compact 9mm in a shoot at the Southeastern Law Enforcement Training Seminar (SELETS) held in Lawrenceburg, TN a few years back. Picked it up from my FFL a week later. Couldn't get the durn thing to feed a magazine full without a stoppage. Tried downloading the mag, changing ammo, changing my grip...nothing worked. Again, this was their first generation - I understand the 2nd gen are hell on wheels. But I haven't revisited the brand since. :ehsmile:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have four Kel-Tecs; PF9, P11, SU16 and SU22. They are "inexpensive", not "cheap"; I didn't think too much of them myself, until I started looking for a pocket 9mm, and couldn't find a lightweight Kahr. For the price, you get a great little gun, and when K-T says "lifetime warranty" they mean it!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was impressed with their website. The videos they posted demoing their products, and mentioning product improvements made based on customer input seems unique in the industry to me.

I didn't replace the only Kel Tec I owned with another one because I really prefer a revolver for pocket carry. I'm a kinda old guy, and carrying a chambered semi auto in my pocket, locked, double action only, whatever, just kinda goes against the grain. I had already heard that the "new" Kel Tec pocket nine was out-freakin'-standing. Wasn't really interested in anything else in their product line till I saw that .22 magnum. Now I'll wait a while on that.

I must admit, that new pump shotgun with dual magazine tubes looks like it might be fun! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The shotgun is certainly academically interesting but what about practical value?

I have never been a fan of .22 Magum because you have ammo that costs a bunch more than long rifle but gives a relatively small gain in performance. This was doubly true in the pistol.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The triggers of the Kel-Tec pistols are fairly heavy with a long pull. In a good pocket holster, it's about as safe as a revolver. However, since I've not been able to practice frequently, I've gone back to an M49 Bodyguard for carry.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlie Petty said:
The shotgun is certainly academically interesting but what about practical value?

I have never been a fan of .22 Magum because you have ammo that costs a bunch more than long rifle but gives a relatively small gain in performance. This was doubly true in the pistol.
Oh, no doubt, Charlie. Just from watching the video it appears to be a little hard to operate even for the people who had a hand in it's design/manufacture.

But notice I never said anything about practicality. I just said it looked like it might be fun!

:wink:

As for the .22 Mag, I think I was drawn to the 30 round capacity and a cartridge that I think would hit about as hard as the civilian legal 5.7. :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shep854 said:
The triggers of the Kel-Tec pistols are fairly heavy with a long pull. In a good pocket holster, it's about as safe as a revolver. However, since I've not been able to practice frequently, I've gone back to an M49 Bodyguard for carry.
Aww, Pete, I have no doubt that the modern semi auto pocket pistols are safe for pocket carry...it's just an old guy prejudice, that's all.

Although I AM glad to hear that's a revolver in your pocket...and your not just happy to see me! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It's a good thing it's just an itty-bitty J-frame, then! :p
----
Easy on the old-folks remarks, podnuh...I'm only a year younger!
Middle age is still ten years off, old age thirty; I use s sliding scale. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Actually the comparions with the 5.7 is not far off but after you've danced with the P-90 everything else is SO pedestrian... :wink:

I guess it's just my old age showing but trying to run some large number of buckshot rounds through anything just isn't on my fun meter.

BUT... I am totally on board about the J-frame... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The problem for me is locally .22 mag cost the same or more than 9 mm ammo.

I have a .22 mag convertible single six and the only good use of the mag cylinder is the snake shot option is much more viable.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Charlie Petty said:
Actually the comparions with the 5.7 is not far off but after you've danced with the P-90 everything else is SO pedestrian... :wink:

I guess it's just my old age showing but trying to run some large number of buckshot rounds through anything just isn't on my fun meter.

BUT... I am totally on board about the J-frame... :thumbsup:
Pedestrian? How...elitist! But heck, ain't we all? :thumbsup:

See, Shep...we're in good company! (See,Charlie...elitist!) :cryinlaugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts