Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like a junkie. I have a sweet tooth, always have had it. Chocolate, yeah, I'm a "holic". Lemon meringue pie, yes, I'm there. We all know about my famous series of last year, soon to be reprised . . .

Bloof goes:

In Search Of . . .

Pumpkin Pie.

Well, it's the same for key lime pie, or anything with lime in it, but especially that pie. Yes, last weekend it's true that I downed a 16 slice Omaha Steaks four variety cheesecake sampler, and two of their key lime cheesecakes, but the true key lime pie, alas, where to find it. Yes, I know I could go on the internet and order one from one of those horribly expensive places down in The Keys, so that by the time it gets to you it costs $108 apiece, but . . .

there's got to be a better way. :dunno:

So, this past week, tired and frustrated by all the talk of hurricanes down in The Keys, and others headed for The Keys, and then shows on The Food Network about The Keys, and key limes, I went back on the internet, . . .

somewhere, somewhere, closer to me,
there's a key lime pie in the deep blue sea,
somewhere, somewhere, closer to me,
there's a key lime pie just made for me!!!!!

:duh: (is this guy serious, or just Jessica Simpson's brother? Well, they are both blond.) :dunno:

So, I found a pie company, with locations on 14th Street on the west side of Manhattan, one on 43rd Street, again on the west side of Manhattan, and one in . . .

:eek:mg: :flush: :eek:mg:

GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL!!!!!!

Hey, wait just a Noo Yawk Minit dere!!! I LIVE in Grand Central Terminal!!!!! :duh: (yeah right, what are you, a rat?) :D

"It's twoo, it's twoo, it's weewee, weewee twoo!!!" (famous line from Blazing Saddles - :dunno: )

Well, it really is true, The Little Pie Company of The Big Apple which I found on the internet has an outlet on the level below the main concourse of Grand Central Terminal, and last night before boarding the 8:23 Hudson Line train for home, . . .

I BOUGHT A KEY LIME PIE, A REAL KEY LIME PIE, RIGHT IN THE HEART OF NEW YORK CITY, RIGHT IN MY HOUSE!!!!! :dunno: :duh:

(somebody take this guy's pulse, or do a brain scan, or something, quick!!!) :dunno:

And early this afternoon, I had that 10 inch pie for breakfast. And for a "walk-out price" of a flat $18, it was a bargain, and delicious.

Sometimes you just have to look right under your nose, where the answer to most things are.

KEY LIME PIE!!!!

:roll: :dunno: :duh: :flush:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Bloof I LOVE key-lime pie! I never had one until I made it myself to find out what all the fuss was about. I've made them from about six different recipes (they were all good) but I've yet to have a "real" store-bought one. I like those lime cookies too!

Ed

P.S. Enjoy one for me! :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, 18 bucks for a pie, MO. That's pretty standard for these parts. Don't forget, it's a high rent New York City area, and the pie's a dense, ten inch pie. Don't forget about Junior's ten inch cheesecakes for $24.95. Ed, thanks for the reminder about the lime cookies, they're great too. :D

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Ed, by the way, they ship, and from what I see of your posted location, they'd be there pretty quick too. I think it's $26 with the shipping, although I'm sure the shipping cost per pie gets lower as you buy more pies. :D

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I almost forgot Bloof, I have a recipe for a killer Key-lime cheescake.

It' don't get much better 'n that!

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, and if it's anywhere near the Omaha Steaks key lime cheesecakes, it's gotta be great. By the way, the Omaha Steaks key lime cheesecake is really from Desserts by David Glass. He's got a web site on the net. All good ingredients, no hydrogenated this and that, artificial colors, etc.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
HEY BLOOF!

My lovely wife went shopping Saturday and ended up stopping in at "Trader Joe's." Well, for the first time in years, she actually came back with something for me. A Trader Joe's Key Lime Cheesecake!

It's er It was about six inches in diameter and weighed 1lb 2oz. The box said "serves 4" but to me it looked more like one of those personal pan pizzas you and I could eat two or three of for lunch.

I can't tell who the actual manufacturer is but boy was it good! NY style cheesecake with a good lime flavor. Not to subtle and definitely not too strong (I like a lot of lime).

Next time I want the plain Key-Lime pie!

Thinking of you Bloof :lol:

Ed

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Bloof,
Down in the Village there is a bakery called the Magnolia bakery.
World class Cheese cakes, I'd give them a call if they have Key Lime it will be worth the cab ride!!!!
Trust me!
It will be like a 4-0 opener!
Unreal :shock:
CC

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
You New Yawkers are killing me. I guess there are SOME benefits to the big Apple! (My pie was frozen)

Ed :wink:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Hey I live in the sticks!
I think a Fresh baked Pie costs $8-$12 depending on the size.
I live in the country where we got lots of peaches!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
If I see a fresh baked pie, it came out of my oven!

:wink:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed, thanks for the tip on Trader Joe's. They're getting pretty popular in these parts. I'll have to keep that in mind. Great cartoon. I like a lot of lime too, by the way.

Castle Crest, I certainly hope your castle is remaining crested and not sliding down some slippery slope. As for the village, that ain't no cab ride for me, just a nice cigar's walk from midtown, or at the very least a subway ride of but a few minutes. I'm frequently in and around that area, so I'm going to plant Magnolia's in my mind and try to check it out.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, winter time, when the eatin' is easy. Time to put on that winter coat, that little extra layer of warming fat.

:D

Fat chance. The snow shoveling will keep me lean, mean and green like a lime. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI

If you have a McGrath's Fish house anywhere near by, they have really good Key Lime Pie. Also receiving votes is MiMi's Cafe.

That, or you could just buy some key limes and make yer own! It's not hard at all!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
No sorry to say we don't have any of those places around here. But I do make my own. I have several recipes and am always looking for more.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts