Gunhub.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emeril Lagasse was on Good Morning America today cooking up a mouth watering recipe for St. Patrick's Day. It was a Lamb and Stout Casserole. I'm not much for lamb myself so I may try the recipe with beef. Still ought to be good...

Casserole Ingredients

•8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
• 2 pounds lamb shoulder or lamb chops, cut into 1-inch pieces, bones reserved
• 2 Tablespoons Emeril's Essence (recipe below)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1Tablespoon flour
• 2 cups diced yellow onions
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1 cup diced leeks
• 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 pound very small potatoes, about 1-inch in diameter, or quartered larger potatoes
• 2 cups Guinness or Murphy's Stout
• 1 cup beef stock

Emeril's Original Essence

• 5 tablespoons sweet paprika
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1/4 cup garlic powder
• 2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons onion powder
• 2 tablespoons cayenne
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons dried thyme

(The Essence recipe makes more than you will need for the casserole. Store the remaining essence in an airtight container.)

Casserole Directions

1. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and just brown. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Remove all but 3 tablespoons oil from the pan. Season the lamb with the Essence and salt, and sprinkle with the flour. Add the meat and bones to the pan and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat and bones from the pan.
2. Add the onions, carrots and leeks to the pan and sauté over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaves, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the stout, beef stock and potatoes, and return the meat and bones to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the lamb and vegetables are tender, about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally and skimming any fat which forms on the surface.
3. Remove from the heat, adjust seasoning to taste and discard the lamb bones. Serve hot.

Yield: 6 servings

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried the recipe out yesterday. I substituted the lamb with cubed beef and couldn’t find regular Guinness so I had to use their extra Stout. I have to admit, it was darn good! Tomorrow it will be with regular Guinness if I can find it. Corned beef and cabbage will be on the side!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts