Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my .45's last night, and started thinking (an unusal and sometimes painfull event)...I noticed that pressing down down on the barrel hood of my Kimber 5" resulted in no movement whatsoever. Did the same to my Colt Officer's model, and there was distinct movement downward.

Now, I had always heard that was a way to tell if a barrel was properly fitted...but then a year ago or so, an article (in Handgunner I think), by a gunsmith, stated that that movement didn't mean anything...that he had seen had seen guns with all kinds of play in that area that were tackdrivers.

My question is, how can a layman tell if he's holding a 1911 that has a properly fitted barrel (and bushing, too. I would assume one fitted without the other would not be desirable)? Or is that even possible? Or necessary?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
A gun with no play has a much better chance of shooting well than one with slop.

I don't doubt that there have been tackdrivers with all grades of slop but if I was buying a gun no slop would win every day.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
There is also consideration of purpose.

The Kimber 5" is expected to be highly accurate.

The Officer's Model is expected to be 100% reliable, at latrine ranges, as my Drill Sergeant called it, or words to that effect.

Geoff
Who will take reliability over precision accuracy.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is also consideration of purpose.

The Kimber 5" is expected to be highly accurate.

The Officer's Model is expected to be 100% reliable, at latrine ranges, as my Drill Sergeant called it, or words to that effect.

Geoff
Who will take reliability over precision accuracy.
Oh, I agree completely. That Colt is a little loosey goosey compared to my Kimber. I wasn't spotlighting that as much as wondering if the "push on the barrel hood test" was indeed an effective way checking out a 1911 pre-purchase...kinda like checkinng the play in a cylinder on a revolver. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'll have to remember to check mine when I get home, but I kinda like some rattle in my pistols; I'm a "service grade" rather than a "match grade" kind of man.
A few years ago, a friend was letting me look at his carry Kimber, and I had to yank hard to open the slide. That kind of tightness is not what I want in a carry gun, but that's just me.:)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to remember to check mine when I get home, but I kinda like some rattle in my pistols; I'm a "service grade" rather than a "match grade" kind of man.
A few years ago, a friend was letting me look at his carry Kimber, and I had to yank hard to open the slide. That kind of tightness is not what I want in a carry gun, but that's just me.:)
Can't speak for everyone of course, but mine has loosened up some over the years. It has always gobbled up whatever I've fed it. Reliability was never an issue. But the barrel is still rock solid when the slide is closed.

Talk about "yanking", that little Officer's model with the 24# spring is a mother! :eek:mg:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
That was the reason I walked out of the gunstore last time with a Rock Island GI instead of a SA Milspec. The Rock didn't move, the SA did. To the tune of about 1/8th"! Don't know how that SA shot but, the Rock will bench 2" at 25 yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts