Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I learned over on the Pistolsmith forum, thought I'd pass it on. All you gunsmiths(You Kevin, Mr.Sweeney, etc) and notable 1911-mechanics will like this one.

Seems there's a problem with some Series II Kimbers with the new firing-pin safety. This is one of those 'Either it happens from the beginning or it doesn't happen things. Seems on some Kimbers the arm attached to the grip-safety that pushes up the plunger and releases the firing pin isn't long enough. The slide will release, the hammer will cock but, the gun won't fire when the trigger is pulled. Most people send the gun back to Kimber for a replacement, looking at 4 to 6 weeks here in Kimber's warranty shop. Well, there's a way to fix it in fifteen minutes, install a Colt firing-pin. they're identical except for the notch in the Kimber pin that the firing-pin safety block drops into. The Colt firing-pin holds the block up out of the way and it just rides on top of the pin without any interference. If the gun has to be sent back for any future warranty work, just swap the pins back out.

To change out; Strip the pistol down for cleaning, take the slide in one hand after you take the firing pin stop out, stick a small punch into the plunger-hole and push down onto a table. This pushes the block up and the firing-pin backs partially out. just reach and pull it out. Install of the Colt pin is the reverse.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I hope that no lawyers are reading your quick-repair tip...

I once told someone that the grip safeties of my two competition pistols were permanently disabled.
His response was that I was just making things easier for some prosecuting attorney or damages-seeking ambulance chaser.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, the firing-pin safety is redundent, it's tied directly to the Grip-safety. As soon as the grip safety is depressed, it clears the firing-pin. All this mod/repair does is turn a Series II into a Series I. Plus, it's something Kimber did on their own, no requirement to do it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Sarge.
Then, I take it, the grip safety still functions as a trigger-bow stopper, even if the "included" firing-pin safety is disabled.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
The only way a lawyer could make an issue of this is if you drop the gun and it discharges causing damage.
IF that happens, one could argue that the FP safety would've prevented it.
Every single Series II that I've personally checked had the firing pin safety mistimed in my opinion. Every single one would allow the hammer to fall before the FP safety was completely disengaged. My sample size is only about 10, though. Some would allow the hammer to fall before the FP safety was disengaged at all, but most of the time the safety was partially disengaged, allowing the FP to move, but not as freely as if the safety was completely disengaged.
I've had several people test their Series II guns at my urging; only one has reported that they had no timing issues with their FP safety.

Steve M1911A1 said:
Then, I take it, the grip safety still functions as a trigger-bow stopper, even if the "included" firing-pin safety is disabled.
Correct.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks tim, BTW, this is real easy for your friends with SeriesIIs to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts