Gunhub.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to give Kydex a "for real" try, as I've only borrowed kydex holsters occasionally for a try before. Figured that this would be the place to ask for opinions on the different brands and types.

What I'm wanting is essentially my same Heinie (Lou Alessi) DOJ700, but in Kydex.

Something that covers the muzzle (although not closed), no slide holsters. Something that pulls the butt of the pistol in close towards my side. I like it to ride a touch higher than normal, as I've taken to wearing this holster as my CCW ride. Has to sit up high enough that the slide doesn't poke below the cover garment ;-)

And no paddle holsters; I trust a paddle holster with my pistol like I trust a democrat with my pistol.

Of course, a generous sight channel would be preferred. Cant would be pretty much neutral, and it MUST but MUST be secure in holding the pistol. I'm not going to be doing gymnastics, but healthy exertion is frequent. Secure without having to use both hands to draw, like good leather. No secret squirrel lever-lock security secret draw gizmos.

The piece to fit would be a G37.

If there would be any improvement added, maybe a "sweatguard" that comes up between the slide and my shirt, all the way up to the rear sight area. Not that I find it's needed for sweat as much as it is keeping my shirt from interfering with reholstering.

The closest I've found is the Taylor Nighthawk at http://www.cen-dex.com/

or possibly the Ky-Tac Patriot at http://www.kytac.com./page19.html

Anyone have any experiences with these manufacturers?

Anyone know of something I really ought to look at?

On the good side, it appears kydex is much less expensive than good leather. I like that. At this point...... as long as it doesn't eventually reside in the box of unused holsters in the top of the closet.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Kydex holsters from Uncle Mikes and Fobus are a great deal for the money. Kydex is my favorite "cheap" holster as they tend to be much better than the nylon cheapies that have always been offered in the past. Kydex offers great retention and fit. The only disadvantage they have is that they are completely rigid and have no give. This can be a comfort issue, especially for IWB type holsters. When you go to the higher quality Kydex holsters like the ones from Ky-Tac, then you can get comfort along with the other Kydex advantages. For competetive use, Kydex is tops.

Believe it or not, Kydex will wear out faster than properly maintained leather.

I have a few Kydex holsters and at times I use them, but I'm still fond of leather and use it the lion's share of the time. I know a few people who've switched to Kydex and they claim they'll never go back to leather.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I suppose I'll call, and find out if they'll build me one similar to my preferred leather holster......

http://www.heinie.com/700big.php

That rear loop pulls the butt of the pistol in towards my body, something I don't see in the Kydex designs so far.

Maybe it's just a matter of OWB CCW holsters aren't all that major of a seller, as most folks prefer the IWB holsters for that job.

On the kydex, are they completely smooth on the inside, or does the hardware that connects the belt loop(s) push through?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My FIST holsters are smooth on the inside. They are sewed together, not bolted. The butt of the gun is pulled into the waist. You might want to check the website- holsters in leather, kydex, and hybrid.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You may want to check out the line by Comp-tac. The only item that I think you won't find is a holster that isn't open bottom.

I have one, in a paddle version, for my BHP and am VERY pleased with it. It is very comfortable, retains the pistol extremely well (I've even shaken the holster upside down and not dislodge the pistol), and allows for very smooth draws. The comp-tac holsters are made specific to the handgun model so the fit is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts