Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are going to Lassen in July, any body been there? We are going to do some camping, hiking, and I'll probably stick my my head in a volcanic vent (just to see what it is like), but is there anything close that I should not miss while I'm out there? Oh, we are going to Crater Lake as well. Anything cool up around there?

Please help me more than you guys helped Fred with his Los Cruces question :? . BTW how was your trip to NM, Fred?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been there a few times. However it was camping/backpacking with the Boy Scouts at least 20 years ago mostly in the winter.

I don't remember too much about it other than it was cold, wet, exhausting experience - in other words a great time :) . We dug snow caves to sleep in (I think that it was in the snow that was piled up from them plowing the parking lot but it worked) and the next day cross country skied most of the way around the mountain checking out the various vents and screwing around as only a herd of 12-16 year old boys can do.

Sorry I can't remember much about the park itself but thanks for bringing up those memories. I haven't thought about some of those guys in at least a decade.

Greg

G

·
I know this is late but just in cast someone ever wants to make this trip here's my faves.

SR89 is the only road all the way through the park on the western side. It winds through the landscape past a noxious sulfur vent eventually cresting close to the Lassen peak trailhead. It's worth the time it takes. The trail up to the top of Lassen Peak is pretty easy unless you have medical problems. The trail is about two miles with a vertical of less than 2000 feet (8500 - 10,300).
Another trail leads down to the volcanic part of the park called Bumpass Hell. Very interesting place.

Over on the south eastern side of the park there are campgrounds at Juniper Lake and there may still be a campground at Horseshoe lake but the road going to Horseshoe was pretty rough and a very long time ago. First place I ever caught a fish was Grassy Swale near Horseshoe Lake. On the north eastern side of the park is the cinder cone, a volcanic cone of pumice and ash that was created during one of the episodes of volcanic activity sometime in the past 1000 years but prior to the 1914-1917 eruptions.

Stops along the way north of Lassen Park on highway 89 is Burney Falls State Park. As highway 89 loops farther north and then west towards I5 and you will get a spectacular view of Mt Shasta. The mountain rises nearly 11,000 feet above the surrounding landscape. There's more views to be had of Mt Shasta as you proceed up US97 towards Klamath Falls Oregon and Crater Lake.

Crater Lake is the deepest lake in North America. Aside from the drive around the rim and several vista points I don't recall much else in the park. The lake is very impressive if you can ever see it from the air. I used to take Alaska Airlines from SFO to SEATAC and always made sure I got a starboard window seat so I could see Mt Shasta and Crater Lake on the flight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts