Gun Hub Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Last?

A Navy Arms Wells Fargo Schofield repro in 45 Colt. Have wanted one for a long time, so when some spare change became available, treated myself. Been a safe queen so far, but plan to remedy that situation real soon. :)

· Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Jules thought I liked it because I shot it 4 times as much as he did... and infinitely better. :bolt: Half my shots hit the 72 yard plate.
My 342 isn't bad to shoot. Are you using the 148 gr WC?

· Registered
10,462 Posts
Jules, rather than the FBI load, why not try some of the Winchester Personal Protection 130 grainers or the Federal Personal Defense rounds?

· Registered
74 Posts
Sam,

Honestly, it was the only non-ball non-HP .38spl ammo I could find in town... That was affordable.

I read up on some tests done by ammo lab that pointed toward wadcutters (I can't find FWC, only SWC) as being a better choice out of a small chief sized gun.

The way I see it, if I have to pull that thing out of my pocket, the idiot is going to be close and placement is going to be way more important that what sort of ammo I have in the pistol.

FWIW: My ex-used to get really po'd when then lw was in my pocket and we were having some couch time. No sense of humor that one.

· Registered
10,462 Posts
Hey, I was thinking more of your comfort, not the do-bad's. :p

I still use FBI loads in my 4 inch revolvers. My 342 is currently loaded with some Federal PDs. In my youth, my S&W M36s and 37s always had 158 LDSWCHPs rounds. That was when SAPD was still using LDRN .38 Specs. Had one cop ask in horror, "You wouldn't shoot someone with those, would you?" To which I replied, "Only if I had to." Fortuneately, Texas doesn't ban HPs for "civilian" use.

I grew up on heavy and slow and still think it's great - on the terminal end. But I've wimped out and gone to light and fast for easy on my hands. But since most gunfights end with about 3 rounds expended, it really is immaterial except for the "practice with what you carry" idea.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.