Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy on another board claims his 1911 mangles the brass on the last round of every magazine. I thought he was talking about a simple dent but his exact words are "The case mouth looks like a file was taken to it, takes a chunk of brass about 1/16" off of it."

Don't believe I have ever experienced this. Has anyone else here? Charlie?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
First of the usual suspects would be the Ejector. Set for too low an ejection angle. Hitting the Ejection port on the way out. But, it would also do this to other cases.
Second, Slide-Stop lobe interfering with extraction of last round. It might be popping up too early. A 9mm Slide-Stop in a 45 will do this. Lobe on a 9mill Slide-Stop is alot larger than a 45.
Third, the Extractor. Malformed or too much tension.
Fourth-Recoil spring-weak
Fifth- timing problem

I'd be looking at the Slide-Stop as the culprit first.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlie Petty said:
Snake you know ohow I feel about "other board" stuff so if you answer that be sure to say where you got it.
Would you like me to just post a link to this thread and invite the guy to come here? Be glad to if you'd prefer.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The problem Charlie is alot of 9mm/38Super parts are showing up on factory guns in .45ACP. Firing-pins, slide-stops,extractors. It's a mess. Had a guy come in the other day with a SA Loaded that had all three in it. Couldn't understand why he was getting so many light strikes, failures to eject and the slide would never lock back. Charlie, the gun wasn't three months old. One of the CS guys at Brownells' was telling me they can't keep 45 parts in stock. Guys are ordering them to replace factory parts.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Yes please Mr. Snake :thumbsup:

Sarge that just blows me away. I don't see many "new" guns anymore. I got a bunch from Springfield last year for my 1911 anniversary story but had no trouble. Wonder if the makers have "assemblers" who wouldn't know the difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I have seen case mouth mangling, although it was not just on the last round. Was sometimes associated with horizontal stove-pipe type malfunctions.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie Petty said:
Yes please Mr. Snake :thumbsup:
Done. Maybe we'll pick up a new member or two. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I have seen case mouth mangling, although it was not just on the last round. Was sometimes associated with horizontal stove-pipe type malfunctions.
Back before they started lowering the ejection port it was very common for hardball empties to be dented- sometimes seriously- by hitting either the hood or the leading edge of the port. Stovepipes could surely do it too.

GI ejectors were rarely a problem even on wadcutter guns but we did start making extended ejectors when the BoMar ribs became popular.

I don't know if "mangled" is really a good desription but since the 9mm slide stop does extend further into the mag well it is the only reasonable explanation for the problem on the last round only. Almost all the other problems described could do it on any round.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did ask the fellow to "read" the extractor and ejector markings, figure out where the case was when it was chambered, and try to get some idea from that, but he didn't follow up on that so far.

(Of course, that will only work with new brass.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
With a fingernail pushing some #4-0 steel wool around the rim and on the case head, a guy MIGHT can witness some extractor / ejector happenings if the ammo is not on it's 94th re-loading...but it would take better eyes than mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts