Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new Glock 19 owner who recently heard about Phase 3 malfunctions. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Has Glock ever provided an official explanation? Some have suggested that this was limited to G19s modified by the NYPD, and that the trigger mods were the likely culprit. Others have said that these failures have occured outside the NYPD with completely stock pistols. Has Glock made any changes to address this, or to at least simplify clearing the jam?

Any idea about the actual frequency of these failures? Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

PS: The mags do have the 2183 followers, and I have been advised by several folks on the High Road to call Glock to request 9mm3s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry a G19 daily. I am quite familiar with it. What you have heard about the 2183-1 followers is correct. I had issues with my G19 feeding hollowpoints until I fitted my magazines with the 9mm3 followers. I also recommend Wolf's +10% magazine springs.

I have had zero problems with my G19 and have had no failures of any kind after the replacement of the followers.

I have a 3rd generation G19 with SN of DLFxxx. I use 1 full-metal-lined normal capicity magazine, and 1 non-full-metal-lined normal capacity magazine.

I have shot Magtech 115gr, Winchester 115gr, UMC 115gr, Federal 135gr Hydrashock, and Federal 124gr +P Expanding Full Metal Jacket. I have experienced no malfunctions of any kind from either magazine with any of the above mentioned loads.

I cannot say I have had any experiece with G19 failures.

My wife's G27 however...........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have read the Gun Zone's Phase 3 page - very informative and the reason I got a bit worried in the first place.

Rumors seem to abound on other forums about Glock making changes to the barrel hood and/or ejector to address this. However, nobody (including Glock) has provided any verifiable information on Glock's official response to this.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, for what it's worth, here's what's happened with my dead stock Glock 19 (with 2183 followers) so far...

Basically, I’ve had no failures to feed, fire or eject in 600 rounds. I’ve shot roughly equal numbers of American Eagle 124 FMJ, Winchester White Box 115g FMJ, Winchester White Box 115g JHP and Georgia Arms 124g +P Gold Dots.

On the other hand, I have observed two slightly disturbing things (to my inexperienced eyes, anyway):

(1) - The ejected cases from the 124 grain loads have small dents where the case is apparently hitting the ejection port on the way out and are ever so slightly out of round. Though Glock customer service claims this is normal, it seems a bit odd to me.

(2) - When I load a single, hollow-point cartridge into either of my magazines, and cycle the slide by hand, the cartridge jams on the bottom of the feed ramp (it also pushes the bullet deeper into the case - I have disgarded these catridges). This has happens every, single time with both Winchester JHP and Georgia Arms Gold Dots. It never happens with FMJ catridges.

When recoil cycles the slide, I have had no failures. To test this, I fired 20 magazines loaded with 2 cartridges each. I fired one-handed (with a very weak grip) and observed no failures. Looking at the markings on the feed ramp after shooting, it’s clear that the hollow points are engaging it near the bottom. I have requested new followers from Glock, though this will force me to retest my defense ammo.

It seems like there is little or no margin for error with the 2183 followers in a G19. Some folks, probably due to small dimensional differences (that are almost certainly within the manufacturing tolerances), seem to fall off the cliff. With the big, asymmetric hump, the 2183 design is baffling to me, and I'm not really surprised by this.

Shouldn't you be able to chamber a round from a singly loaded magazine by hand (not necessarily by releasing the slide stop, but surely by pulling the slide fully to the rear and releasing)? Right now, my pistol won't do that with JHPs. I expect that the 9mm3 followers will help.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
SlimeDog said:
(2) - When I load a single, hollow-point cartridge into either of my magazines, and cycle the slide by hand, the cartridge jams on the bottom of the feed ramp (it also pushes the bullet deeper into the case - I have disgarded these catridges). This has happens every, single time with both Winchester JHP and Georgia Arms Gold Dots. It never happens with FMJ catridges.
I've had the same experience with a Third Generation Glock 19, with 10 round magazines utilizing 2183 followers. I have had last round failures to feed when firing Rem. GS 147 gr JHP and Speer 124 JHP. A pre-ban 15 round magazine with a 9mm-1 follower works fine.

I called Glock, requesting the 9mm-1 followers. I was told Glock was aware of the problem and was working on a solution. Until then, they recommended loading a FMJ cartridge as the bottom round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
glock 19

OK how can i tell if my G19 is 3rd, 2nd, or what geneation?
My Gun: serial # FDF 313 date of manufacture 12 02 02
Note Purchased new and around 600 rds of FMJ with out a problem. Also have fired 20 rounds of Power Ball without a problem.
Thanks in advance for the Ed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts