Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Can any knowledgeable one enlighten me about the early history of high velocity hollow point bullets.

Geoff
Who ran across an old G. W. Nonte book in his library.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
By the time I really got started writing Super Vel was already past its prime and I was told Jurras never gave interviews so I didn't ask.

About the only testing I did was to chronograph a few rounds and they generally did as advertised.

The rumor was that the bullets he used were slightly smaller in diameter which made the higer velocities possible. The ones I have look suspiciously like Sierra bullets.

I was looking ar loading data for the 380 and saw a reference to Super Vel. Will go back and look when time permits.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
This was published in Handloader attributed to Super Vel

380 ACP

all maximum loads
80 gr. JHP 3.3 gr. Bullseye 1018 fps
80 gr. JHP 3.5 gr. W-W 230P
90 gr. JHP 3.0 gr. W-W 230P (this is the predecessor to 231 but data is not interchangeable)

One secret to the higher velocities is that they were measured from a 5" barrel

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie Petty said:
This was published in Handloader attributed to Super Vel
One secret to the higher velocities is that they were measured from a 5" barrel
I like it when rounds are tested out of real guns, but I understand this is more difficult than it looks and no matter how you do it, a large group of people will scream about your lack of "proper" testing procedures. Cross reference Consumer Reports methods and testing "only" one car purchased over the counter. Sigh. Then Government level testing with large samples is STILL being argued about, cross reference the M-9.

Geoff
Who still has a box of SuperVel .45 ACP ammo..missing one round.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
When Super Vel was current the standard measure of penetration was how many 1/8" pine boards it would penetrate which is not going to make any hollowpoint expand

I have only shot a few older hollowpoints into gelatin but they rarely showed any meaningful expansion. the old 158 LHP .38 load that was virtual standard issue for law enforcement nationwide showed none in the few I shot although I did see a couple recovered from bodies that had a little

Fortunately today's bullets can be made to expand at whatever normal veolcity is available for the cartridge so there really isn't a mechanical reason to push them faster... just hype :?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
When Super Vel was current the standard measure of penetration was how many 1/8" pine boards it would penetrate which is not going to make any hollowpoint expand
Minor typo there - I think you meant 7/8" pine boards, Charlie. :wink:

IIRC, my old Western ammunition handbook (it's around here somewhere!) listed penetration in nominal 1" pine boards for a number of handgun rounds.

Since JHPs don't tend to expand in wood, I believe Super Vel started using duct seal compound to test their bullets. I remember it was then in vogue to make a plaster cast of the permanent cavity created and tout that as conclusive evidence of the superiority of the round being tested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts