Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up in CP's Corner, Retmsgt mentioned "being cursed with sinistralism", which I presume meant he's a lefty. As one who's in his right mind, I wondered about others and how they worked with this.

When I was a kid, my understanding was that the military required everyone to shoot right-handed, so that's how I taught myself to shoot. Indeed, I still shoot RH primarily. What has become a mitigating factor is that I'm extremely near-sighted (20/100) in my left eye. That said, I practice LH about 1/3 of the time, so I consider myself more-or-less ambidextrous. Of course, the fact that the vast majority of guns are designed and built to favor right-handers is a factor as well. Like Retmsgt, I have an ambi safety on my Commander.

All that said, how do other lefties handle this state of affairs? DAO autos or revolvers are the obvious solution, of course.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Like you, I am right-hand dominant. However, I not only train to shoot in either hand (or from either shoulder), I actually carry two of my three revolvers on the left side (I prefer having my pocket gun on the left so that I can have a hand on it while conducting a great deal of business, including shaking hands).

I place a great value on my equipment being operable in either hand and have a smoldering dispute with John Farnam over my insistence on ambidextrous safety levers on pistols that use them. John professes concern that an outboard safety lever may be moved to the firing position by friction with the cover garment. I reply that what became the 1911 did not even start sprouting a thumb safety until somewhere in the production of the Model of 1910. Thus, I see the carry of a cocked-and-unlocked 1911, while not desirable, as not much different from carrying a Springfield XD and, arguably, more secure than carrying a Glock or an M&P.

On an AR-15, I have no trouble operating the safety with the trigger finger when firing off the left shoulder but I am not too wild about the added manipulations to release the magazine.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I am a lefty. Shooting is just about the only thing I do primarily RH.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
shep854 said:
Actually, I am a lefty. Shooting is just about the only thing I do primarily RH.
I should have read your posting more closely. I used to have a friend on LASD who was left-handed but, when he went through the academy, he chose to learn to shoot right-handed. His theory was that if he were to be attacked with something less than a firearm, his assailant would assume that he was right-handed and might leave his "stronger" left hand unimpaired.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Actually, most controls on a 1911,with the exception of the Standard Thumb-Safety, are favorable to lefties. Both the slide-release and the magazine-release can easily be operated by the left trigger-finger. The Ambidextrous Thumb-Safety takes care of the rest. As for the Thumb-safety being swiped by clothing thing. A properly-installed Thumb-Safety should not have such problems. It should take a little effort to push it down. If it can be defeated by the rub or brush of clothing, it's loose and should either be refitted or replaced. As for righthanders and Ambis, what do you think lefthanders go through? Regardless of whether or not it's an Ambi, there's still a paddle on the outboard side of the holster. Either way it should be extended. I can't see somebody who supposedly knows firearms and carries that would saddle themselves with that small, hard to swipe when the pucker-factor is high, Stock Thumb-Safety. As for DA/SA guns, I have the 1911, I don't need answers to questions that haven't been asked. But, in a pinch I can use one with little difficulty, I just don't like them for reasons that have nothing to do with being left-handed.

Revolvers, especially SAs, are no problem. I think Col.Colt was a closet lefty himself. No righthander can reload a SA revolver as fast as a lefthander with little practice can. Granted, it does take longer to recharge a DA revolver but, a good speedloader cuts that time way down.

Bottom line? Lefties are gadget-guys. We have to be to operate in a right-handed world. If there's a piece of equipment that cuts down the time bringing my gun into play, I'm gonna use it. As long as it improves my odds, it's mine, be it an Ambidextrous Thumb-Safety, a Speedloader, whatever.

As for the military, the Air Force let me shoot whatever way was best for me. Even supplied me with a L-H holster for the M15 S&W. With the case-deflector on the A2 I was fine with the Mousegun I did, however, shoot the M203 righthanded because of the sights.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spwenger, I wasn't clear in the OP. :) Hey, fancy seeing you over on THR.us as well!
----
Regarding M1911 thumb safety issues, I am much more comfortable with a thumb-break if carrying C-&-L. Just a personal quirk.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
...I think Col.Colt was a closet lefty himself. No righthander can reload a SA revolver as fast as a lefthander with little practice can...
Colonel Colt was long dead, I believe, when the loading gate of the Single Action Army was designed. But I agree with you, that whomever designed it might well have been left-handed.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Shoulda presented that as tongue in cheek Steve. but, the fact remains.

As for locked and cocked carry, again, if the 1911 is properly set-up, there's no problem even if the Thumb-safety does disengage. You still have to consciously depress the Grip-Safety for the gun to operate. I certainly hope nobody removes said carrygun from the holster when done like they're drawing it. Bad gun-handling there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry—sometimes I take history a little too seriously.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
That's just the Educator coming out in you Steve, it's all good.

To paraphrase, Left-handers are the Chameleons of the gunworld, we overcome by adapting.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm sure most of you know that I too am in my right mind.

Fortunately my mother was left handed too and nobody tried to force me to be right handed. As I kid I had to use a right handed baseball glove on my left hand and I doubt that there was a left handed golf club in the state so I did that right handed.

The USAF didn't care so I shot the carbine my way and qualified just fine.

I completely agree with the thought that Colt must have been left handed and the 1911 is too except for the thumb safety. I've shown the ambi safety Bob Day made for me in 1961 and don't know if there was one earlier but I sure didn't know about it if so.

I can shoot a handgun pretty well with either hand although I use my left eye most of the time. PPC and such really helped. But I am totally unable to shoot a rifle or shotgun right handed... possibly because I never had to...

I also think the comment about "adapting" is very accurate and most lefties I know seem to have a pretty high degree about ambidexterity...

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Wow! My Mother was left-handed too Charlie! But, I'm the only one of four who is. I'm also the oldest of the kids. My problem was the first four years of school, I'm Catholic. I'm very serious about what I'm going to say. Back then they, the Catholic church, still thought the left of anything was evil( Lucifer sat to God's left). They would actually tie my left hand to the back of my pants and force me to write right-handed. So, I too, learned a little dexterity with both hands. Luckily, we moved and my Father couldn't afford tuition to Moeller so, I went to Public Schools(Princeton). They let me use my left hand. I can shoot right-handed and use my right eye but, the groups at 25 yards are almost three times bigger than left-handed. Still, minute of Bad-Guy.

I've never tried to shoot a rifle or shotgun right-handed, probably couldn't hit the Broad-side of a Barn from the inside, with the door locked!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you guys are forgetting what was the primary horseback weapon of the time- the sabre for officers- the pistol( whatever it was) was designed to be carried on the right, but drawn with the left- likewise, the "sword" was usually worn on the left, but drawn with the right- ie a cross draw-it was NOT by accident that the loading gate is on the right recoil shield- and this was carried over to the 1911 as well

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
t-star said:
you guys are forgetting what was the primary horseback weapon of the time- the sabre for officers- the pistol( whatever it was) was designed to be carried on the right, but drawn with the left- likewise, the "sword" was usually worn on the left, but drawn with the right- ie a cross draw-it was NOT by accident that the loading gate is on the right recoil shield- and this was carried over to the 1911 as well
So the loading gate is on the left side of the SAA to keep it "inboard" when worn in the original cross-draw holster?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
that's( pardon the expression) right- if you can. see if you can find a photograph or linotype of an officer from the 1870's era- particularly a mounted type- you'll see the sabre on the left side, the holster probably mounted backwards, and the cartridge box somewhere between the two

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
t-star said:
that's( pardon the expression) right- if you can. see if you can find a photograph or linotype of an officer from the 1870's era- particularly a mounted type- you'll see the sabre on the left side, the holster probably mounted backwards, and the cartridge box somewhere between the two
I'm well aware of that concept, including the "pistol" being a backup to the saber. Not being a fancier of the SAA, it had never occurred to me that the loading gate might have been placed on the right side so that it rode inboard in the holster. As I recall, the ring or nub to operate the extractor rod is set up for operation with the left hand, as the revolver is held in the right hand, yet the gate is set up so that I would expect to shift hands when it's time to feed the new cartridges. I had never given it much thought before but I believe the Army holsters had flaps so I'm uncertain why the location of the loading gate would have been an issue while the gun was holstered.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I had heard of that but it's hard to believe that everthing to the left is sinister.
Alot of the mainstream religions are like that. Want to see if an Arab is packing? Offer to shake hands and stick your left hand out. To a Moslim, the left-hand in 'Unclean'. To offer your left-hand is an insult of the high-degree to them. I do it all the time!

Why do you think everybody shakes with their right-hand? Only in Satanic Cults is the left-hand shake proper.

Regardless of the theory or reason behind the construction of SA handguns, it's one of the few bonuses for left-handers.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I had heard of that but it's hard to believe that everthing to the left is sinister.
Meh ... Just look at Nancy Pelosi ...... :ek: :bolt:

(I know ... I know.... this is a different thing .....)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
[quote="Charlie Petty":1bfp9o1p]I had heard of that but it's hard to believe that everthing to the left is sinister.
Alot of the mainstream religions are like that. Want to see if an Arab is packing? Offer to shake hands and stick your left hand out. To a Moslim, the left-hand in 'Unclean'. To offer your left-hand is an insult of the high-degree to them. I do it all the time!

Why do you think everybody shakes with their right-hand? Only in Satanic Cults is the left-hand shake proper.

Regardless of the theory or reason behind the construction of SA handguns, it's one of the few bonuses for left-handers.[/quote:1bfp9o1p]
so the BOY SCOUTS are a satanic cult??????that's a REAL LEAP OF FAITH

1 - 20 of 52 Posts