Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leon Redbone was in town Saturday night, so my wife and I took him in. The show was held in our of our old theaters that had formerly been a vaudeville house, and has undergone a complete rejuvenation. The acoustics are suberb. Leon came out with just one sideman, a piano player.

All I say is that Leon just seemed a bit befuddled. He would talk , then plunk on his guitar a little, then talk and try to remember a forgotten name, or tune, or author. We believe that he mumbled and talked more than he sang. He was on stage for about an hour and a quarter.

Maybe it was just old age, or the stress of trying to put on a wonderful performance every day, with all that ugly traveling in between (bad meals, motels, etc.)

He is a great entertainer, but we don't think that we would see him again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that he spent the first 20 minutes trying to get the sound system regulated to suit him. They hadn't even done a sound check before they came on stage!

We last saw him 4 or 5 years ago. This'll be the last, probably.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yep, Richie Havens was in a similar circumstance the last time we saw him.

Probably won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
840 Posts
felix's tattoo said:
Leon Redbone was in town Saturday night, so my wife and I took him in. The show was held in our of our old theaters that had formerly been a vaudeville house, and has undergone a complete rejuvenation. The acoustics are suberb. Leon came out with just one sideman, a piano player.

All I say is that Leon just seemed a bit befuddled. He would talk , then plunk on his guitar a little, then talk and try to remember a forgotten name, or tune, or author. We believe that he mumbled and talked more than he sang. He was on stage for about an hour and a quarter.

Maybe it was just old age, or the stress of trying to put on a wonderful performance every day, with all that ugly traveling in between (bad meals, motels, etc.)

He is a great entertainer, but we don't think that we would see him again.
He was on our island for a performance, just last night (Sunday, 05/02). We got the same thing: about an hour and a half of mumbling and fumbling, interspersed with small amounts of miraculous guitar playing and delightful whistling.
He also took at least 15 minutes to get the sound where he wanted it, even though it was his sound man at the controls of our board. He took another couple of minutes to get his on-stage lamp lit, because he forgot where its switch was...on the lamp.
Before the performance, he locked himself inside a dressing room and wouldn't come out or speak to anyone, including our stage manager (a very pretty woman with whom performers normally flirt outrageously). When he came onstage, he had a small, full glass of what looked like either whiskey or tea; and when he left the stage, the glass was almost empty. He was wobbly on his feet at both ends of his turn, so I suspect alcoholism.
Still, when he played he was wonderful. He just didn't play very much, and he repeated himself a lot.
Paul Asaro, the piano player, is really, really good.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5 years ago or so we saw him, same little downtown theater. It was probably the best live show we have seen.

Yup, it is time to hang 'er up, Leon. $56 was too much to pay for that fumbling.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I would say that locking the door to the dressing room is more emblematic of drug use. Nothing to base it on other than many years of being a fan of rock and roll, Drunks tend to just drink and not hide it as they believe they are functioning just fine, addicts hide it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
I would say that locking the door to the dressing room is more emblematic of drug use. Nothing to base it on other than many years of being a fan of rock and roll, Drunks tend to just drink and not hide it as they believe they are functioning just fine, addicts hide it.
Hmmm...
Interesting thought.
I wasn't backstage, but the stage manager is a friend, and she reported to me, before the house opened for the show, that Leon got into some kind of angry exchange with one or more members of his troupe before he locked himself in the dressing room.
Yes, that does sound like some sort of drug involvement. The anger one expresses when needing a fix is diagnostic.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Usually when a door was locked at my workplace, someone was smoking, snorting or getting their weasel greased... :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He and his piano man both came onstage carrying water glasses, filled with an amber fluid. The piano player wolfed his down first, but Leon took most of the performance to finish his.

The spontaneity just wasn't there that we had seen in the previous concert, 5 years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts