Gun Hub Forums banner

Less Lethal

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  WaltGraham 
#1 · (Edited)
"Browsing a California company's Web site, Eickhoff found pictures and videos of an odd-looking, blaze-orange device docked on a normal handgun barrel. When a bullet fired, it melded with an attached projectile the size of a ping-pong ball that flew with enough force to knock a person down, maybe break some ribs, but not kill him, the product's makers said - even at close range.

Its name: the Alternative."

Since this a one shot deal, what happens if the "alternative" fails and the badge is required to put the BG down with an actual lead round ?

Will he then face murder charges since his original intention was simply to incapacitate perhaps indicating that the threat did not warrant the use of deadly force ?

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like another gizmo to weigh down a policeman's belt.
Honestly, someone should go find Adam West and ask him how he managed to look so lithe and quick in the 60s as he played Batman, what with all the miracle "Bat"-gizmos he had on that utility belt ....:rolleyes:
How long do policeman have to take a decision between what weapon to use in those tight situations where life & death come together .... and why would he not generally default to the most effective device (ie., his firearm) during those micromoments of hell when he's trying to stay alive?
I am all in favor of "less-than-lethal" alternatives .... but let's not get carried away.
And besides, this attaches to a real gun? Is that really wise? I mean....for a moment he has to tinker with his gun while he is preparing for a violent encounter?
I'm sorta thinking this ain't gonna work so well.
Maybe the screendoor on the submarine was a better idea? :bigidea:

#3 ·
Lousy concept. Lousy idea.

And I don't care what assurances are given, guarantee that if this is ever fielded, somebody, somewhere, will die when it is used on them. I know, that's why the call them "less than lethal" vs "non-lethal". But can you see this thing smacking a guy in the sternum at just the right moment in the hearts cycle, causing a cardiac shutdown (it's happened with baseballs).

And there have been cases of an officer firing his handgun when he meant to fire his taser, killing a person...(at least that was their story).

Nope. A non-starter.

#6 ·
This is like Barney with his bullet in his shirt pocket.

I guess yelling Time out I have to get my rubber bullet out of my pocket so I can shoot you and not kill you will cause the bad guy to take a break while you fiddle with your weapon.

Under stress how many Officers will wind up shooting themselves in the hand while trying to attach it to their pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.