Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That would be the one on the bottom of the photohttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jacks308/08-18-2004093504PMHRAalso.jpg

Jack

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
looking good jack.

·
Registered
914 Posts
collection

That's an amazing collection you have there Jack. It'a plain you suscribe to Dean's moto:
"LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO SHOOT AN UGLY GUN!"

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
4 "Perty" ones!

Knowing you, I am confident they shoot as well as they look!

Gerry

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gerry ,

The second from the top is a 1.34 WRA that I haven't shot since it came home from Dean's The Walnut stocked SA right below it spent several afternoons with me laying in the snow poking holes at 450 yards between the squalls . The HRA on the bottom has been run quite a bit .

Jack

·
Registered
592 Posts
I still like the top one. Give me the skinny on her if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jacobite said:
I still like the top one. Give me the skinny on her if you would be so kind.
Jacobite ,
It began life at the Winchester factory in 1945 making it older than I . It spent time in Europe and got left there by an uncle we both know . It was saved by Saint Orest of Markmanship for the benifit of mankind and though it was weary worn and sad , it has a solid heart . I had a wied idea kicking around in my head ( there is a lot of room there and much kicking was done ) .
I the year of 2000 we had a real ugly wind come through attempting to move hills and valleys and was unsuccessfull in moving much dirt . Trees however did not far so well .Now here's where the skinny of the top rifle comes in . The wind left a somewhat large double trunk Cherry tree laying in the beanfield . After figuring that the planter couldn't drive over a twenty-three inch trunk . I thought why not turn it into a Garand stock ?
After cleaning the logs and brush out of the field a sawyer came out and planked the logs out and I dreid them for about two years untill I couldn't take it anymore and stuck them in a big wooden crate with a space heater for a couple months . The heat in the box was measured with a candy thermometer .
You may have noticed I am rather partial to Wenig stocks . I don't work for them , I just really like the shape of the wood as they make it . Wenig milled out the stock set from my blank and I sent that and the rifle to Dean's for the final finsh of wood and metal . I was happy with the groups I was getting and it ran fine but Dean , ever the craftsman . Steered me into a new gas cylinder and said a new barrel would help . Being short of cash I had him use a nearly new HRA barrel from the HRA he was working on for me . ( collectors , please don't skin me :oops: )
It took about four months to melt the glacier in the backyard so I could shoot it and when I did the mirage helped me get the nine at four o'clock The shot at ten is my fault .

Knobcreek , I'd love to help ya out . But the truth to tell , every one of those rifles was done by Dean . The fitting and timing of the two in the middle was done by me . The top and bottom dean traded barrels and put a .308 on the HRA on the bottom .

Does that clear things up a bit ?

Jack

·
Registered
592 Posts
Jack,
Thank you for the story. I am really a wood nut myself. I am very partial to Curly Maple but cherry is probably my second favorite although i do not have any thing stocked in it YET!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jack, thanks for the info. I am in the middle of refinishing my stock and when I purchased it from the CMP, it had a gorgeous orangish finish. I replicated the color using golden pecan, but after seeing your stocks, I am tempted to refinish it in a reddish tinted stain. Anyways, they are very beautiful rifles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love the second from the top and the bottom. Same question from me as well.... what kind of stains?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The second from the top and the bottom are both birch stocks . The difference in color between the two is the bottom one went to Dean's with the color started with a bottle of Fiebings dark brown leather dye . I did that because I had to build the toe of the stock up with some bedding coumpound and I wanted it to be less noticable . Unfortunately the red really shows up more than I like . Of the two , I like the color of the second one .
I really don't know what Dean uses , an e-mail to him may be all it takes to find out what he used on mine . If you like , tell him you saw my rifles posted here and he may let you know the fun we had getting them together . He really is a nice man to work with .

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts