Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Granfors Bruks Mini Hatchet (left) to keep my GB Hunter's Axe company. These are made in Sweden and are very interesting tools. The heads are forged on old power forges, and each axe/hatchet comes stamped with the maker's mark. They make a variety of designs from the Mini Hatchet to full sized felling axes.

I've only really used the Hunter, but it holds it's edge a very long time. They were both shaving sharp out, of the box. **I'm talking very nearly straight razor sharp!** The GB axes/hatchets are very nicely balanced, and compared to the $12 hardware store special, they are extremely light weight. They rely on proper design and a scary sharp, high quality, forged steel blade to get the work done. Cheaper tools seem to rely on head weight to accomplish the task. Did I mention they are sharp? They are factory ground with a convex edge profile (no bevel) so they drive deep with very little binding. Out of the box, either would push cut newsprint with virtualy no effort. Mine would do so at any part of the edge I chose to start with.

The Mini Hatchet is small enough to slip into a pocket of your jeans (use the sheath!!!), and light enough to not drag your trousers down. No "Plumber's Cleavage" from this riding in your back pocket. They are kind of pricey, but IMHO, very well worth the money. Buy the best and only cry once.

Axes aren't sexy like blacked-out fighting knives and survival blades, but if I had to grab only one blade in an emergency bug-out situation, I think I'd take my Hunter's Axe.

Note: shown with my USMC Kabar to give an idea of the scale.
[IMG=left]http://ourworld.cs.com/TASMc/hunternmini.jpg[/IMG]

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
wuzzagrunt,

As always, any mention of a knife gets my attention. I was expecting something very modern looking but was pleasantly surprised. Even more intrigued I looked them up and found this great review:

ST0210-gb-mini-hatch
"Small, light, and perfectly balanced. Sharpen a pencil, slice a tomato paper thin, and shave the print right off this page. It will 'frizz' sticks for tender, cut fine kindling, and split small logs. It will filet a fish, skin a moose, tenderize a steak, turn your pancakes, spread jam and peanut butter, pound tent stakes, and chop vegetables. And it will ride as lightly on your hip as the average hunting knife."

Gotta love it!

Ed

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are heirloom tools.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Like my dad says: "I've had this same axe for 50 years! Only had to replace the handle three times and and the blade twice!" :wink:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
At Wal-Mart I saw a cool little hatchet... Made by Fiskars, the scissors people. Had a plastic blade guard that doubled as a carrying handle.
12 bucks. I was tempted to get it.
Not nearly as cool as that little hatchet... but it's one I can afford.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gerber markets a line of axes and hatchets that I understand are make for them by Fiskars. They are the same as the one you saw. AFAIK, there are one or two models that are exclusive to the Gerber line (i.e., Fiskars does not sell an equivalent model), but I won't swear to that. They are supposed to be excellent little choppers--especially for the price. A bit too 21st century for my tastes, though.

Gerber Gator Axe

Additionally, the Gerber/Fiskars hatchet is heavier (17 oz. for the Gator vs. 10 oz. for the Mini). That small difference wont make a speck of difference for normal camping chores, but for someone going on a 5-7 day mountain backpack hunt: every gram counts. Especially if you expect to be hauling out some big game.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I didn't know that. Excuse me... I've got to run out to Wal-Mart now and then make a mount in my Bronco for it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Love my Gerber/Fiskars hatchet. Hollow fiberglass handle VERY lightweight and durable, no worrying about chemicals or weather destroying it. It works much better than Id expect of any $15 item.

The bad parts, not to appealing visually and the finish on the head does little to prevent corrosion or scratching.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
wuzza--I've got the GB Hunter model as well. Man, I love that ax! Got mine for Christmas. I immediately took it downstairs and burned my initials into the handle. Even for such a small ax (you could pack it without much trouble), it makes quick work of 4-5" logs and limbs.

I'm not sure if you got the point across as to how dang sharp the thing is. I sliced some skin off the tip of my thumb while I was trying to lever a split wider on a small log--neatly as if it were a surgeon's scalpel. I won't pick it up without having my steel toed boots on first and I get nervous loaning it to other people.

Ty

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
How does the blade on those GB Hunters react to shaving cream? Is it better to use a gel? :twisted:

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I went to WalMart the other day and couldn't find them again. Evidently they were moved to the garden section and put on sale... and sold out. More are expected. When more comes in, I'm going to buy one. Head need a better finish?
I wonder how the handle can hold up to 400 degrees... If it can, Brownels Spray and Back would work. Then again, so would Krylon and let it cure in the sun... or just wipe it down with CorrosionX and call it good.I'm going to mount it on the side of the cab, vertically under the seatbealt. I was going to mount an extinquisher there, but I decided I want newer seats that would be too big for that to work... so I'm going to mount that on the roll bars when I get them made.
I'm turning my Bronco into an Off-Road Survival machine slowly but surely. Eventually it will end up looking like something the Rangers would roll around in over in Iraq or something.
:twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey i was a grunt also! :) were did you purchase the mini axe? It looks like a good tool.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I've seen them advertised ... they do look like very nice tools . How does one go about replacing the edge on that ?

I have one of the Gerber tools and it works fine but it never was that sharp . I wonder if a convex edge would help it ?

Jack

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find the convex edge to be very easy. Sweeping strokes with a waterstone--away from the edge--and strop it on a belt to remove the wire edge. Granfors sells a neat little stone. It's a two-sided waterstone that comes in a rubber case that looks like a hockey puck. It protects the stone quite nicely.

I think you'd have to remove an unacceptable amount of steel to remove the bevel on the Gerber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts