Gunhub.com banner

What went wrong with your "new" SA Garand?

• A major problem that was unfixable or took a long time to fix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A minor problem that was easily fixed

• Nothing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try to get some numbers here. Are new SAs really as bad as some would have you believe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cancelled my order after reading the posts here and at CSP. I have ordered an SA SG instead. Sorry for not posting while I was lurking but, I've had a miserable time getting posts to go until the last couple of days.
Bill C

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
A friend of mine's brother had one that, after the first shot, they had to hammer the op-rod open toeject and rechamber. Chamber checked good, receiver problem. Sent it back and bought a Korean War SA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not found another 30/06 Garand that can outshoot my SA with a Breda receiver. At Perry I had a 97 in the slow prone. Last Garand match I had nothing less than a nine till we started the offhand, and mine sucks with ANY kind of rifle. The match before I had a 197/200 slow prone. Mine loves the Danish ammo, wish I could have bought 10,000 rounds of it. No problem with mine in about 1000 rounds whatsoever, except in 2 cases it tore the rim off a Danish case, could have been a dirty chamber. It just seems to shoot better and better all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Springfied M1

I have had mine for about a year and it has functioned fine. Group size with danish AMA 86 & 87 averages 1.2". I also have 2 CMP M1's and they also work fine S/n 4321XXX and 3313XXX. I also have a Tanker M1 from Fed Ord on which I am replacing the receiver with a CMP SA receiver. I think that the new M1's are a good deal if someone wants a good warranty. I also have a M1A from Springfield that would go full auto when I first bought it but Springfield fixed the trigger group and it has functioned perfectly since .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recopied from previous post yesterday. Can anyone help with the op spring question?

I bought a new 30-06 Springfield on Jan. 8th. Fell in love the first day I shot it (100 yrds). Had a few feed problems at first and even some op rod jump outs. Came back to this site and others and read more and thought more, and could not bring myself to send it back. It's MY Garand and just did not want it treated as a piece of metal and wood. I just did not want to give up on it. Did all the checks for binding, wear, greasing and dimensions. Op spring does measure less than 19-3/4". Is it correct to measure with it just laid out on the table? Any way I have put over 800 rounds thru it since Jan. and the last time it shot the best ever with no problems. Maybe all the other "new" parts are finally breaking in. How does anyone know how the "real" Garands really shot when they were new? I am sure with all the varied Manufacturers there were problems but they would not show up on the same gun from CMP today. I had no way where I live to qualify for a CMP and also hate having to comply with rules put down by anyone. I come back to this site for knowledge from people who have it from their shared admiration for the Garand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a new SA and have never had the slightest problem with it. I have fired well over 1000 rounds through it without even a hiccup. It might be luck of the draw but with the warranty I was willing to risk it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bought one used on consignment and paid about dealer cost for it. Had functioning problems and sent it back to SA. They sent me a brand new replacement rifle which works fine. All the internal parts including the bolt on my rifle are USGI and look new. My only complaint is the oversized Boyd's stock, but with a little sanding it's better now than when it was new.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I won't add to the poll as I don't own one personally, but I have worked on 4 of them..out of the 4, 2 had to go back to SA for bad op rods and the owners sold them upon return from SA. The other 2 had timing problems (replaced bullet guides and one had a rusted op rod tube and spring(cleaned out tube and replaced spring with a SS spring. They all had tight chambers and wouldn't feed Korean ammo reliably(good thing as Wilson barrels are excellent barrels!!!!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
A friend brought a brand new one to the range today. I feel bad for him. We had about 5 problems. First and foremost the barrel timing is off. I had to push the front sight so far left to zero it, that it was hanging off the base about 3/32 of an inch. No kidding. Then we had 5 different 8 round enblock's and tried them all. After the third round, the enblock and all the ammo would fly out, every one. The case rims were so hammered, on the empties, that they were junk. The 2 rounders would fire one round and eject the whole thing. The 2 single loaders we had would fly out every time. And lastly the rear sight was up only two clicks from the bottom at 100 yards Someone please tell me it's our fault. I'm a M14 shooter and I don't know that much about M1's but it seems to me that that's a pretty long list. What do you guys think. Thanks MAK

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one of the new one's. It has performed flawlessly. The times it did not work correctly was because of operator error, not the guns fault. :D

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Springfield Garands have been known to come from the factory with EVERY known Garand problem that has been common with worn out rifles except worn barrels.

Springfield builds the rifles using cast recievers and USED parts with a new barrel and new wood.

There is nothing wrong with a cast reciever IF it is in spec and strong enough.

There is nothing wrong with used GI parts IF they are not worn out.

The problem is apparently no one at Springfield knows how to tell if the parts are worn out or not or gives a damn.

Master armorers and Garand gunsmiths have several ways to test and guage these parts to see if they are worn or out of spec.

Because of their use of worn out parts I have personaly seen Springfield Garands that would not cycle due to worn gas cylinders and gas pistons.

I have seen completly worn out OP rod tabs that caused the rod to dismount just from handling the rifle in the gunshop.

I have seen broken internal trigger group parts.

I have seen them have feeding problems and problems with them ejecting loaded clips during a string of fire.

More or less the same BS you would expect from a worn out Blue Sky Korean import that you used to buy for $250.

Of course all the parts are refinished and the new wood makes them "look" like a new rifle so apparently that is enough to sell them to some people that don't know any better.

Those that know Garands would spend the same amount of money on a correctly built rifle built on a GI reciever by known good armorers such as Fulton, Orion7 and a few others or spend even less on a good CMP Garand.

IF you got lucky and got one that was accidently built by Springfield using really good like new in spec parts you got a good rifle that may give you good service but you can't use it in a CMP JC Garand match or expect it to have any collector value or much resale value.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been following this thread with a little interest since it started. I've no ax to grind with those of you who own these rifles. It's you're money, buy what you want.
I'm not trying to be a smart a## either, but looking at the poll, I see 7 of 20
people(at the time of this posting) who voted in the poll,(or 35%) have had some kind of problem with their rifle. I hate to say it fellas, but that's not a real good average.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a chamber/extraction problem with my (new) SA Garand, which developed fairly quickly after purchase (500 rounds). I sent it back to SA, they fixed it and sent it back. It took about one month. Works fine.

It may have been due to the corrosive KA surplus ammo I was using, about 200 rounds before the problem developed. I didn't know that it was corrosive at the time.

I also had a serious Op Rod problem with my (brand new) SA M1A, right out of the box. Same thing. They fixed it.

I was not pleased that both rifles were back in the shop so quickly after purchase, but they were fixed.

Would I spend the money again? I probably would, but I'm not sure that I'd advise someone who has to watch the $$ carefully to do the same. I just ordered an HRA Garand from CMP and will know more later.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My SA Inc has the same problem as all of my CMP garands. Not enough ammo :wink:

BM62

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well I posted above about the problems my friend had with his new SA M1. He called SA inc. on Monday and they said "send it back." So that's what we did, and now we are in the wait, hope, and pray mode, until we see what we get back. (BTW, I advised him to go with CMP, so at least I'm not getting blamed for bad advise on this one) MAK

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
270 Springfield

Special ordered my Springfield many years ago in .270 when the offered them. Has worked perfectly and I love it in .270. But the ammo costs more. Bummer.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I fit into two catagories with this poll . The bent barrel took awhile to get them to understand the problem . The bolt on the other rifle keeps eating roller retaining springs .
Other than that they run fine .

Jack

1 - 20 of 21 Posts